Don't know Marrone from Adam, but I am pissed off that Mehta's evil plan was successful.

Bruce Harper

Maybe "ruined his career" is a bit strong but it is not unreasonable to suggest that he went from the hot candidate to unemployed as a result of a focused campaign against him.  Not really that big a stretch.  And if he failed this year when the market was perceived as hot for him, there is very little chance that he will be back as a HC in the NFL.

Any attorneys here. Any chance Marrone could sue Mehta and/or Daily News for defamation of character? Understand its a long shot, if even possible, but it'd be great to see someone go after MM.

Billboards had ZERO influence on Idzik being fired and Mehta has ZERO influence on NFL owners. Marrone is a coach with a losing record who abruptly left a new owner hanging. He also has a reputation of being a tough personality to work with. That's why he's still available.

Did you think teams were going to go into a bidding war with a guy who hasn't even made the playoffs?

I think he lands what ever job is left over. The Bears are starting to look like the last one standing after this game of musical chairs.

I don't agree. We all know the Jets haven't been getting good publicity the past few years, "circus" and all. So here's Woody's chance to clean the slate with a new HC/GM and when Marrone's becomes available the smear campaign begins. If he hired Marrone the anti-Marrone tone from Daily News/MM wasn't going to go away (unless they won a SB). But those are long odds no matter who the HC is.

Marrone is a so overrated, he's a gutless coward who is so conservative it sickens me. He was a control freak ( actually had to approve any pics/articles put up on buffalobills.com) and the players didn't like him. He preached loyalty and longevity and all this crap and bolted from two places after 2 years at both.

He will get his 4 mil (less after taxes!) and take a consultant job with the Texans or something and good riddance to him.

Wait until you see the dimwitted loudmouth you just hired in action

Any attorneys here. Any chance Marrone could sue Mehta and/or Daily News for defamation of character? Understand its a long shot, if even possible, but it'd be great to see someone go after MM.

I don't think he could prove anything, but I would love him to file something just to see mehta's reaction, lol.

He had a job for the next two years at 5 mill per, he left. Screw him, he took a chance that he would be an in-demand guy and he guessed wrong.

He could have worked for 2 years and been paid 5 mil per, or *not* worked and get paid 4 mil.  Yes, they're all driven and they love their job and all that, but even if he knew he *wasn't* going to get a job, taking the money for doing nothing would be pretty tempting...  And if he gets a job *next* year, he still pretty much comes out ahead...

Two problems with that sort of case:  First, because Marrone is a public figure, he would have to prove that Mehta not only published false statements but that he did so with actual "malice." Not an easy road to hoe.

Maybe "ruined his career" is a bit strong but it is not unreasonable to suggest that he went from the hot candidate to unemployed as a result of a focused campaign against him.  Not really that big a stretch.  And if he failed this year when the market was perceived as hot for him, there is very little chance that he will be back as a HC in the NFL.

He was not a hot candidate.  No one was even thinking about hiring him, besides the Jets.

Bowles and Quinn were the hot candidates.

Archived