Mariota signature performance

AFJF

Exactly...you can never use one game to evaluate a player but it would be nice to see  that they have the ability to do all of the things you'd want them to do.  If the Jets pick him and he can't beat tight coverage, everyone who loves him now is going to say "SOJ, drafted a guy from a gimmick offense in college and we all knew couldn't make precision throws"

He is a very good seam route passer. He is not accurate deep. That is what he is.

I will use your previous arguments against you-There are a plethora of experts who feel that he will be a stud pro. 

I have not heard one expert ask for a signature game to say that he is lacking skills. 

I will take the experts take here.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly...you can never use one game to evaluate a player but it would be nice to see  that they have the ability to do all of the things you'd want them to do.  If the Jets pick him and he can't beat tight coverage, everyone who loves him now is going to say "SOJ, drafted a guy from a gimmick offense in college and we all knew couldn't make precision throws"

You know it. Jet fans love that hindsight vision yet will criticize someone feeling that way beforehand. Im not high on Mariota, and the 2 guys I feel are worth a #6 pick grade is Winston and Gregory. Anything else I'd consider trading down, especially Mariota who I think is more popular than QB. Saw the same sh*t last year with Manziel, while we watched a legit looking QB (on tape) in Bridgewater almost fall to the 2nd round. 

You know it. Jet fans love that hindsight vision yet will criticize someone feeling that way beforehand. Im not high on Mariota, and the 2 guys I feel are worth a #6 pick grade is Winston and Gregory. Anything else I'd consider trading down, especially Mariota who I think is more popular than QB. Saw the same sh*t last year with Manziel, while we watched a legit looking QB (on tape) in Bridgewater almost fall to the 2nd round. 

It's 2015...everybody knows everything.

I am lazy, please repost it.

Are putting up big numbers against top 10 defenses, not signature games?

Not here to be an enabler.

Those are signature games, and those are the games I asked about.  Unlike many, I don't pretend to know everything about every player, so I was asking any fans of Mariota to let me know what his signature performance was in their opinion so that I could try to find the full game recorded and watch it so I can see what it is everyone sees in him.  

Not here to be an enabler.

Those are signature games, and those are the games I asked about.  Unlike many, I don't pretend to know everything about every player, so I was asking any fans of Mariota to let me know what his signature performance was in their opinion so that I could try to find the full game recorded and watch it so I can see what it is everyone sees in him.  

You are welcome!

AFJF-Since you are wanting to look for "complete" games of Mariota, are you concerned at all that Winston and the Seminoles absolutely struggled in the majority of first halves this year. That he was a slow starter in games?

Does that degrade the "signature performance" scale?

Honestly, I'm not concerned about Winston at all.  IMHO, there is zero chance of him being available at #6 so I don't care all that much.  My concern is with the player the Jets might be taking at six, and I have to wonder why, with all the accolades, the heisman, the video game stats, and the squeaky clean image, the team with the no.1 pick might be taking a suspected rapist with serious off field issues.  

You are welcome!

I look forward to watching those games or anything I can find of them.  No point in watching clips of scrambles and screen passes on youtube if there's any other option out there.

Honestly, I'm not concerned about Winston at all.  IMHO, there is zero chance of him being available at #6 so I don't care all that much.  My concern is with the player the Jets might be taking at six, and I have to wonder why, with all the accolades, the heisman, the video game stats, and the squeaky clean image, the team with the no.1 pick might be taking a suspected rapist with serious off field issues.  

Becuse people become enamored with skills, discount character, and feel they can cure all ills.

No doubt, Winston is the better athlete.

If Mariota is at the Jets spot, and they do not take hi, I will question this leadership

His scrambling ability will open space for him. THAT is why he is so dangerous. 

If he was a classic pocket passer, I would agree, not a first rounder. 

How much of that scrambling is going to translate over to the league? Lets say most of it, lets give him that. Now, how much of his passing ability will translate over to the league when he's not in a Chip Kelly college offense throwing to wide open receivers against college defenses that dont have the coaching to stop it? I have no clue. 

This guy is an enigma in that regard. As for his personal qualities, like mechanics etc. the guy isn't blowing the doors off anyone in that department either. Taking Mariota at #6 is like taking a prize behind door #1 without having a clue as to what is behind the door. He could be the next Aaron Rodgers like what Tony Dungy alluded to, or he could be a middle of the pack guy....still better than what we have, but he can also be a bust. And given that I can't really look at his game and give any concise information on what I think he could be (outside of being a scrambler) I'd rather pass. I need a QB that I know can throw the ball. 

Im not trying to be overly critical of Mariota, its not like I have some sort of dislike for him. Im simply saying that even with his beautiful passing/rushing numbers, I dont know what that is going to look like in the NFL when not in Chips offense. Now, I believe Chan Gailey could figure him out and put him in position to succeed, but thats more of my believe in Gailey as an OC than it is Mariota as a QB. 

Mariota is a toss up to me and I wouldnt take the chance. Man I wish we would have cleaned house last year. Teddy Bridgewater would have been a Jet today. 

Becuse people become enamored with skills, discount character, and feel they can cure all ills.

If Mariota is at the Jets spot, and they do not take hi, I will question this leadership

The Jets need to draft Cooper at six and move forward. At worst, Cooper isn't going to bust. At best, he's healthy Victor Cruz.

How much of that scrambling is going to translate over to the league? Lets say most of it, lets give him that. Now, how much of his passing ability will translate over to the league when he's not in a Chip Kelly college offense throwing to wide open receivers against college defenses that dont have the coaching to stop it? I have no clue. 

This guy is an enigma in that regard. As for his personal qualities, like mechanics etc. the guy isn't blowing the doors off anyone in that department either. Taking Mariota at #6 is like taking a prize behind door #1 without having a clue as to what is behind the door. He could be the next Aaron Rodgers like what Tony Dungy alluded to, or he could be a middle of the pack guy....still better than what we have, but he can also be a bust. And given that I can't really look at his game and give any concise information on what I think he could be (outside of being a scrambler) I'd rather pass. I need a QB that I know can throw the ball. 

Im not trying to be overly critical of Mariota, its not like I have some sort of dislike for him. Im simply saying that even with his beautiful passing/rushing numbers, I dont know what that is going to look like in the NFL when not in Chips offense. Now, I believe Chan Gailey could figure him out and put him in position to succeed, but thats more of my believe in Gailey as an OC than it is Mariota as a QB. 

Mariota is a toss up to me and I wouldnt take the chance. Man I wish we would have cleaned house last year. Teddy Bridgewater would have been a Jet today. 

Sums up my thoughts on him word for word.  Point of the thread was to get some idea as to when he had some games where  he played his best and showcased all of his skills....or as some would call it, a signature performance.

Sums up my thoughts on him word for word.  Point of the thread was to get some idea as to when he had some games where  he played his best and showcased all of his skills....or as some would call it, a signature performance.

I could see Mariota succeeding with the right coaching and talent around him. Problem is, I could see him succeeding as much as I could see him failing because of one thing. I think that with all the praise people give Chip Kelly for his offensive prowess, it may be a double edge sword. How much of that success is the scheme and how much is it the talent of the players in the scheme? People made the point with Foles, yet want to dismiss that with Mariota. Some may say that I'm being hypocritical right now because I said that I would take a chance on Foles but would pass on Mariota. I just think that playing against 32 professional teams and doing what he did is different than playing against defenses in the Big Ten, Pac 12 and SEC and doing what Mariota did. What Mariota did stat wise was great, but its been seen before in the past. What Foles did in that system set professional records. I think as a thrower, Foles is a better QB than Mariota. Mariota will be a dimension that Foles simply doesnt have which is the scramble. 

Like I said, Mariota could end up being that new era of QB and we could look stupid passing on yet "another" franchise QB, but the difference between guys like him and guys like Andrew Luck, is the execution of the position. And Luck was no slouch scrambling either, but there was definitely a difference when it came to the core function of what a QB is. I would take the chance of Passing on him. Winston looks more of that NFL QB than Mariota. These NFL players play on Sunday for a reason. I want to see Sunday-like plays from Mariota. Im sorry but I haven't seen much. Flashes? certainly, but Im not convinced. 

Who cares what round or what pick is used in getting him.  The important aspect is if he can lead this team successfully.  If he is even 70% of what Russell Wilson can do you have to draft him.  You don't hand him the keys to the kingdom, you let him earn them, but you have to take him.

Who cares what round or what pick is used in getting him.  The important aspect is if he can lead this team successfully.  If he is even 70% of what Russell Wilson can do you have to draft him.  You don't hand him the keys to the kingdom, you let him earn them, but you have to take him.

I dont think anyone believes he's 70% Russell Wilson. If he was I'd draft him. I just dont think he is. 

I think he'll go in the teens. Dude's arm is going to be exposed in workouts.

Weren't you sh*tting on Bridgewater for having small hands and a crappy pro day? I swear this is last year 2.0 with all the Bridgewater and Carr hate. We should definitely pass on Mariota if he falls to us. It was freaking genius last year when we did that with Carr and Bridgewater.

I could see Mariota succeeding with the right coaching and talent around him. Problem is, I could see him succeeding as much as I could see him failing because of one thing. I think that with all the praise people give Chip Kelly for his offensive prowess, it may be a double edge sword. How much of that success is the scheme and how much is it the talent of the players in the scheme? People made the point with Foles, yet want to dismiss that with Mariota. Some may say that I'm being hypocritical right now because I said that I would take a chance on Foles but would pass on Mariota. I just think that playing against 32 professional teams and doing what he did is different than playing against defenses in the Big Ten, Pac 12 and SEC and doing what Mariota did. What Mariota did stat wise was great, but its been seen before in the past. What Foles did in that system set professional records. I think as a thrower, Foles is a better QB than Mariota. Mariota will be a dimension that Foles simply doesnt have which is the scramble. 

Like I said, Mariota could end up being that new era of QB and we could look stupid passing on yet "another" franchise QB, but the difference between guys like him and guys like Andrew Luck, is the execution of the position. And Luck was no slouch scrambling either, but there was definitely a difference when it came to the core function of what a QB is. I would take the chance of Passing on him. Winston looks more of that NFL QB than Mariota. These NFL players play on Sunday for a reason. I want to see Sunday-like plays from Mariota. Im sorry but I haven't seen much. Flashes? certainly, but Im not convinced. 

I think what I like most about the possibility of taking Mariota is that we have Gailey.  He does a nice job of tailoring his offense around the strengths of his QB and Mariota is obviously talented, but hopefully won't be rushed if he is the pick.

Weren't you sh*tting on Bridgewater for having small hands and a crappy pro day? I swear this is last year 2.0 with all the Bridgewater and Carr hate. We should definitely pass on Mariota if he falls to us. It was freaking genius last year when we did that with Carr and Bridgewater.

I was the opposite of that guy.

This is exactly the reason why you would have to take him and why he almost certainly won't be there at 6.  When you have a legit weapon/franchise QB you are a contender for a Super Bowl every year.  When you don't you rely on an awful amount of luck just to get a wildcard and hope for a miracle run.

You roll the dice and hope he's closer to the Aaron Rodgers end of the scale.  The best WR in the draft is still only as good as the QB throwing to him. 

HOW IS WINSTON THE BETTER ATHLETE? Mariota is way faster and more mobile. Winston is the better passer and pro style quarterback. If you dont know what your talking about, why speak it?

The Jets need to draft Cooper at six and move forward. At worst, Cooper isn't going to bust. At best, he's healthy Victor Cruz.

If the jets go WR they better draft Kevin WHite out of WVU. Has the speed, jump ball, and size. Cooper is small and hes not a burner. Cooper has 4.5 speed at best and had a lot of drops. If you draft a wr at 6, he better be a big time player. We couldve got cooper last year at #17 in Marquise Lee.

This is exactly the reason why you would have to take him and why he almost certainly won't be there at 6.  When you have a legit weapon/franchise QB you are a contender for a Super Bowl every year.  When you don't you rely on an awful amount of luck just to get a wildcard and hope for a miracle run.

You roll the dice and hope he's closer to the Aaron Rodgers end of the scale.  The best WR in the draft is still only as good as the QB throwing to him. 

You know what I admire about Seattle? They dont rely on an awful amount of luck. They recognize a skill they need on the team, they recognize a skill in a player and they draft it. The requirement that they seem to look for in a player is self motivation in a player. Pete Carroll is doing today what Chuck Noll did for the Steelers in the 70's and the rest of the league seems not to get it. 

I will never get to meet Mariota, and if I did it wouldnt make a bit of difference. But I will say this, if the Jets draft this guy it better be because they recognize a skill set and that he's an incredible self motivator, not because they feel the need to "roll the dice and get lucky". Doing things like that will more likely than not have your team in bed with guys like, David Carr, Patrick Ramsey, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller, Byron Leftwich, Jake Locker, Kerry Collins, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Jim Druckenmiller, Rex Grossman, JP Losman, Jason Campbell, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Brandon Weeden, RG3, EJ Manuel and Johnny "Football" Manziel. All 1st round QB's (many top 10) the past 20 years who were destined to be franchise QB's for teams that decided to roll the dice and take their chances. 

The point of the draft pick imo is not to roll the dice but to be as correct about your evaluation as possible. Knowing the skills you need, evaluating players for those skills and drafting players with those skills and the character of being self motivated will net you a team that has talent on all levels as well as depth. I'm a Jets fan and I'm tired of them rolling the dice and wishing on a star. That sh*t's for suckers man. If they Draft Mariota simply because they felt that it was some gift that a Heisman winning QB fell in their lap at #6 they'd be a fool to do so and they will deserve everything that comes from it, because thats not how you draft players. And even if Mariota was worth anything a team that drafts by rolling the dice will not be able to draft skill set players to put around him so either way it will be a waste of a draft pick, like it always been for teams that has done that. 

In my opinion, the only QB worth that #6 spot is Jameis Winston and if I was the person calling the shots I wouldnt piss that pick away on a guy that is an enigma to me and/or the coaching staff. I need to draft a player that my coaches understand and can utilize. If the Jets are going to do anything outside of that then they're wasting their time and mine as a fan. Confidence, not luck is what you should have when drafting a QB especially, because being wrong could cost you your job in 3 to 5 years as well. 

You know what I admire about Seattle? They dont rely on an awful amount of luck. They recognize a skill they need on the team, they recognize a skill in a player and they draft it. The requirement that they seem to look for in a player is self motivation in a player. Pete Carroll is doing today what Chuck Noll did for the Steelers in the 70's and the rest of the league seems not to get it.

I will never get to meet Mariota, and if I did it wouldnt make a bit of difference. But I will say this, if the Jets draft this guy it better be because they recognize a skill set and that he's an incredible self motivator, not because they feel the need to "roll the dice and get lucky". Doing things like that will more likely than not have your team in bed with guys like, David Carr, Patrick Ramsey, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller, Byron Leftwich, Jake Locker, Kerry Collins, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Jim Druckenmiller, Rex Grossman, JP Losman, Jason Campbell, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Brandon Weeden, RG3, EJ Manuel and Johnny "Football" Manziel. All 1st round QB's (many top 10) the past 20 years who were destined to be franchise QB's for teams that decided to roll the dice and take their chances.

The point of the draft pick imo is not to roll the dice but to be as correct about your evaluation as possible. Knowing the skills you need, evaluating players for those skills and drafting players with those skills and the character of being self motivated will net you a team that has talent on all levels as well as depth. I'm a Jets fan and I'm tired of them rolling the dice and wishing on a star. That sh*t's for suckers man. If they Draft Mariota simply because they felt that it was some gift that a Heisman winning QB fell in their lap at #6 they'd be a fool to do so and they will deserve everything that comes from it, because thats not how you draft players. And even if Mariota was worth anything a team that drafts by rolling the dice will not be able to draft skill set players to put around him so either way it will be a waste of a draft pick, like it always been for teams that has done that.

In my opinion, the only QB worth that #6 spot is Jameis Winston and if I was the person calling the shots I wouldnt piss that pick away on a guy that is an enigma to me and/or the coaching staff. I need to draft a player that my coaches understand and can utilize. If the Jets are going to do anything outside of that then they're wasting their time and mine as a fan. Confidence, not luck is what you should have when drafting a QB especially, because being wrong could cost you your job in 3 to 5 years as well.

OH MY GOD IT'S FEBRUARY SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHHUUUUUURTTTT IUUUUUURRRRRRRRRP

Sorry, but I simply don't agree at all with what you're saying...

The point I was making about Marriotta was - you do your research, meet this kid and if you think there's a CHANCE he can be the next Aaron Rodgers (or anything close) you absolutely HAVE to take him.  You're never going to know how a QB is going to pan out but you HAVE to take that chance if there's a shot he can be the franchise for the next 15 years.  If you don't find a QB you're out of a job in 3-5 years anyway because you're not going to win.  Finding a franchise QB does take some luck and to say otherwise is simply wrong.  Even look at your point about Seattle - they loved Russell Wilson so much that they waited until the 3rd round to draft him? They got lucky...They hit on a 3rd round QB - good for them.

I think you're minimizing the importance of the QB position.  it's almost impossible to win without one and even if you find a way to win one year (and it's a huge long shot)  The teams success will not have longevity.   I want a team that can compete year in and year out.  You take a QB and if he busts you take another one - you keep taking QB's until you find one.    Year in and year out the teams with the best QB are the ones that win - it's always the same teams at the top...

I don't like it this way but Goodell and the owners made it this way - it's a passing league and the QB is the single most important position in all of sports and there's not even a close second. 

Sorry, but I simply don't agree at all with what you're saying...

The point I was making about Marriotta was - you do your research, meet this kid and if you think there's a CHANCE he can be the next Aaron Rodgers (or anything close) you absolutely HAVE to take him.  You're never going to know how a QB is going to pan out but you HAVE to take that chance if there's a shot he can be the franchise for the next 15 years.  If you don't find a QB you're out of a job in 3-5 years anyway because you're not going to win.  Finding a franchise QB does take some luck and to say otherwise is simply wrong.  Even look at your point about Seattle - they loved Russell Wilson so much that they waited until the 3rd round to draft him? They got lucky...They hit on a 3rd round QB - good for them.

I think you're minimizing the importance of the QB position.  it's almost impossible to win without one and even if you find a way to win one year (and it's a huge long shot)  The teams success will not have longevity.   I want a team that can compete year in and year out.  You take a QB and if he busts you take another one - you keep taking QB's until you find one.    Year in and year out the teams with the best QB are the ones that win - it's always the same teams at the top...

I don't like it this way but Goodell and the owners made it this way - it's a passing league and the QB is the single most important position in all of sports and there's not even a close second. 

Im not saying that your evaluation allows you know magically know the future, what Im saying is that many people agree that they dont really know what Mariota is, after researching him. Some people who aren't part of the "experts" have said that they think that he's a 2nd round talent. 

As for Seattle, they didnt get lucky with Wilson. I can say this because many of the stars on their team are not 1round or 2nd round picks. They're picks taken between the 3rd and 7th round. Chris Matthews, their WR who if they would have won was an MVP candidate was an undrafted player. Their Super Bowl MVP last year Malcolm Smith was I believe a 7th round pick. Your point would have been valid if not for all of the other talent that they found in the mid and late rounds of the draft. And just because they took him in the 3rd round doesnt mean that they lucked up on him, there's a such thing as reaching for a talent. They noticed his skill but also realized that his stock in regards to draft placement want that high. My favorite player in this upcoming draft is Steven Nelson, Im not taking Steven Nelson with the 6th pick of the draft because his stock has him at anywhere between the 3rd and 5th round. Now if I feel that his combine has really pushed him up the draft board then maybe I pull the trigger on the 2nd rounder, but you can't dismiss the fact that a team has a draft board. If for example I drafted Nelson in the 4th round and he becomes one of the top CB's in the league you shouldn't call it lucky. I noticed the talent but knew that using a 1st rounder on him would be freaking overkill. 

Back to Mariota. I said specifically that it was based on my point of view. I also said that if the Jets do draft him that it better not be based on luck and a quote from Dungy about him possibly being the next Rodgers. All of these quotes are great, the problem is, the majority of the league passed on Rodgers so its all hindsight and pats on the back for the new kid. Based on what I've seen, Im saying that I dont know what he is and I wouldnt be confident pulling the trigger at #6. That doesnt mean that I'm trying to convince you that the dude is a scrub, or that I'm right. I just think that he's a reach at #6. 

Archived