2015 New York Yankees Baseball Thread

Jetlife33

• Alex Rodriguez on Sabathia: “I haven’t been around much the last two years, so it’s hard to think about how these guys feel and what they’re doing. But I know CC’s always a big part of what we do, and he’s part of our DNA. And I thought the ball exploded out of his hand today just from third base.”

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Girardi said he wasn’t sure whether Sabathia was getting an extra day of rest, but he was pretty sure Sabathia would be starting one of those long road trip games coming up, either Sunday against the Mets or Monday against the Nationals.

• What do you know, another hit for Jose Pirela, this one his second triple of the spring. … Chris Young went 2-for-3 to raise his spring average to .263. … Carlos Beltran and Tyler Austin each doubled. … Mark Teixeira had his first home run of the spring. … Stephen Drew had his third hit of the spring.

“I didn’t (expect it),” Sabathia said. “But I was, I mean, really nervous. More so than normal. That was kind of weird, but I think it’s just be being back out here and wanting to be with my teammates and just being my first game.”

CC gave up runs yesterday but was topping out at 96. I have to say that's encouraging.

2 pitches at 96. Everything else was around 90-92. I still wonder if those two 96 pitches were legit or just a faulty spring training gun. A scout in attendance had CC topping out at 93. With that said, 90-92 and an occasional 93? Sign me up!

2 pitches at 96. Everything else was around 90-92. I still wonder if those two 96 pitches were legit or just a faulty spring training gun. A scout in attendance had CC topping out at 93. With that said, 90-92 and an occasional 93? Sign me up!

He was throwing mid-80's last season. Hopefully the time off helped him get his legs back

Tonight will be Bailey’s spring debut with the Yankees. He spent all of last year rehabbing after shoulder surgery, and he signed back on a fresh minor league contract to get a fresh look and a new opportunity. Bailey said he still believes he could have enough time to make the Opening Day roster. Joe Girardi said it’s possible, but he seemed to be setting lower expectations. 

• Masahiro Tanaka is scheduled to 45-50 pitches tonight. Girardi said he has no plans of asking Tanaka to throw fewer splits given the elbow issue. “I don’t think you can ask him to stop pitching the way he pitches because I think,” Girardi said. “As a pitcher, you feel like you’re going out there without all your weapons, and that probably is not great for confidence. So I don’t think you can really do that.”

Jacoby Ellsbury went for an MRI and has been diagnosed with a low grade oblique strain, the Yankees announced. He’ll be shut down for the next seven days. Opening Day is 18 days away now, so there’s still time for Ellsbury to rest, heal up, and get ready for the start of the season. Any sort of setback might force him to start the regular season on the DL, however.

Didi Gregorius and Brian McCann led the way offensively. Didi went 3-for-3 with a triple and McCann went 2-for-2 with two walks and a two-run homer. Stephen Drew also mashed a two-run tater. Brett Gardner went 1-for-3 with a walk, Chase Headley went 1-for-2 with a walk, both Mark Teixeira and Garrett Jones went 1-for-3 with a double, and Chris Young went 1-for-3.

The Yankees pummeled the Braves 12-5 on Wednesday night. Masahiro Tanaka made his second start of the spring and was fantastic, allowing two hits in 3.2 scoreless innings, striking out three. He looked as strong as ever. Andrew Bailey made his spring debut — it was his first game action since July 2013 — and allowed an unearned run on two hits in an inning of work. The television gun had him at 92-93, which would be amazing after a torn shoulder capsule if true. His curveball was all over the place though. “Rusty” is the word I would use to describe how Bailey looked. - RAB

The Yankees pummeled the Braves 12-5 on Wednesday night. Masahiro Tanaka made his second start of the spring and was fantastic, allowing two hits in 3.2 scoreless innings, striking out three. He looked as strong as ever. Andrew Bailey made his spring debut — it was his first game action since July 2013 — and allowed an unearned run on two hits in an inning of work. The television gun had him at 92-93, which would be amazing after a torn shoulder capsule if true. His curveball was all over the place though. “Rusty” is the word I would use to describe how Bailey looked. - RAB

Tanaka, Tex and McCann can make this season interesting if they are all healthy and do what they are capable of.

Archived