49ers LB Chris Borland Retiring

Morrissey

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still can't figure out that signing.

1. We had nobody to replace him.  No, not D. Davis.

2. He is the leader and MIKE, providing consistency for the defense

3. He'll be here only for 2 more years and it is essential that the jets find his successor soon, either in the draft or FA next year.

4. He's slow as sh*t, but still very productive.  With the right players around him, Bowles can use him wisely.  Bowles likes to play 6 DBs, but you know Harris will be in on any likely running play.

5. The overpay will not mortgage the cap beyond 2016... guarantee runs out next year.

There are better things than this to complain about.  Take pride in knowing that our team has the slowest LB in the NFL.  OK... one of the slowest.  :)

The reason he cited is a direct problem the NFL is dealing with: Head trauma. That's why it's a bigger deal than "folks quitting their jobs." It won't lead to a rash of NFL players retiring but it's absolutely noteworthy.

Sure it's newsworthy but calling this huge is ridiculous. No one really knew who this guy was before yesterday. Fugazi he ran to OTL before telling the Niners.

Sure it's newsworthy but calling this huge is ridiculous. No one really knew who this guy was before yesterday. Fugazi he ran to OTL before telling the Niners.

Yeah, it'll only be huge if other players start following suit.  Otherwise it's just one instance as part of a bigger problem for the sport. 

A guy who looked liked he was going to be a perennial pro bowler retiring after his healthy rookie season? Nothing like this has ever happened.

And it's huge

And when the season opens in a few months no one will care. When guys like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning keep playing until their 40's (one of which plays despite numerous serious neck issues) I am a little hesitant to consider this "huge" news. I expect this to happen a little more often with about 10,000 players willing to do ANYTHING to take this kids job. 

Borland, from what I have read, is an accomplished kid that won the UW Student Athelte of the Year award for his work on and OFF the field. The average football player only knows life on the football field and it's their only means to support themselves and their families. So i doubt this will hurt the sport. 

Archived