49ers LB Chris Borland Retiring

Morrissey

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh spare me your misdirected hostility and grief from your mothers awful diagnosis. I have sympathy for her and the disease but my feelings are as meaningless as your wishing ill upon me for making a clear joke that was actually non-inflammatory.

Borland is retiring from a job that millions of young men would love to have and that was the point.

If you are so genuinely offended by the violence of the Football and it's repucussions then get off a football message board and stop supporting the sport.

But really I'm hearing you're sad about your mom and my innocuous comment triggered that. Sorry for your mom but I'm not a vehicle for your platform.

I hope he gets the rookie guaranteed money on his contract. Does he ?

It's a tough sport and with all the head injury issues being out in the open out there it's not a surprise that this is happening. It will happen more often, going forward. More athletes might decide to call it a day while they are still young and fit enough to play.

Apparently he didn't want to die early or lead a sad life after leaving the game.

Already had ongoing constant pain in his feet and he only played 1 season. We'll never know, but maybe he just saved himself a lifetime of misery over money, and at 24 with his whole life in front of him, he didn't think it was worth the risk. Good for him.

It was Willis that had the pain in his feet, not Borland but agree with the fact that he put his well being over money.  It seems as if he was able to walk away because he had graduated college and has a clear goal as to where he wants to go in the future.  He probably came from a middle class family and realized that he does not have to sacrifice his health to make money.  Unfortunately players coming from a more impoverished background or those with degrees in basket weaving need to play no matter what otherwise they will go back to being permanently impoverished. 

It was Willis that had the pain in his feet, not Borland but agree with the fact that he put his well being over money.  It seems as if he was able to walk away because he had graduated college and has a clear goal as to where he wants to go in the future.  He probably came from a middle class family and realized that he does not have to sacrifice his health to make money.  Unfortunately players coming from a more impoverished background or those with degrees in basket weaving need to play no matter what otherwise they will go back to being permanently impoverished. 

Borland later admitted he was wearing someone else's (smaller) shoes?

Reminds me of a quote from Sandy Koufax's 1965 press conference where he retired:

I don't regret one minute of the last twelve years, but I do believe I would regret one minute too many. … I don’t know if cortisone is good for you or not. But to take a shot every other ball game is more than I wanted to do and to walk around with a constant upset stomach because of the pills and to be high half the time during a ball game because you’re taking painkillers … I don’t want to have to do that.

A reporter then asked him how he'd be able to deal with the financial loss.  His response?  (paraphrasing) If a man who lost the use of his arm were given the opportunity to gain it back, he'd give up anything. 

And this isn't an arm.  This is the brain. 

Thinking the same thing. So do I put my son into soccer instead of football when he's old enough? Serious question. 

Soccer might not be the best choice either:  http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/14/science/la-sci-soccer-brain-injury-20121114

Soccer players who repeatedly strike the ball with their heads may be causing measurable damage to their brains, even if they never suffer a concussion, according to a study published Tuesday by the Journal of the American Medical Assn.

By examining brain scans of a dozen professional soccer players from Germany, researchers found a pattern of damage that strongly resembled that of patients with mild traumatic brain injury, said Dr. Inga Katharina Koerte, a neuroradiologist at Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital, who led the study.

Granted, you may need to head the ball 1,000+ times before any effects show:  http://www.cbsnews.com/news/soccer-study-ties-heading-to-brain-damage/

Just how many heads is too much? Further analysis determined the damage threshold to be between 1,000 to 1,500 heads per year. Once players exceeded that, their scans showed significant injury.

"While heading a ball 1,000 or 1,500 times a year may seem high to those who don't participate in the sport, it only amounts to a few times a day for a regular player," study author Dr. Michael Lipton, associate director of the Gruss Magnetic Resonance Research Center at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, said in a written statement.

Oh spare me your misdirected hostility and grief from your mothers awful diagnosis. I have sympathy for her and the disease but my feelings are as meaningless as your wishing ill upon me for making a clear joke that was actually non-inflammatory.

Borland is retiring from a job that millions of young men would love to have and that was the point.

If you are so genuinely offended by the violence of the Football and it's repucussions then get off a football message board and stop supporting the sport.

But really I'm hearing you're sad about your mom and my innocuous comment triggered that. Sorry for your mom but I'm not a vehicle for your platform.

Fair enough... and you're right... With all of the truly ridiculous, insensitive, and downright offensive stuff said on message boards... sometimes a high horse becomes a Clydesdale.

Wrong person. And I'm sorry.

Fair enough... and you're right... With all of the truly ridiculous, insensitive, and downright offensive stuff said on message boards... sometimes a high horse becomes a Clydesdale.

Wrong person. And I'm sorry.

fwiw, I respect the hell out of comments like these, which are all but extinct, or never even existed in the first place, on this message board .bravo!

Soccer might not be the best choice either: http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/14/science/la-sci-soccer-brain-injury-20121114

Granted, you may need to head the ball 1,000+ times before any effects show: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/soccer-study-ties-heading-to-brain-damage/

Well another win for all the Messi's out there. Have never read anything about it though.

Well another win for all the Messi's out there. Have never read anything about it though.

I love the NFL and world football. I am aware of the potential damage from heading. Less research and the contact is much milder. Still, I can recall at least one time playing club after redirecting a cross with my head into the ol' onion bag having a minute or so where I was a shade fuzzy. Don't remember celebrating the goal. I was about 16.

Maybe I've been off the grid, but why is this such a big deal again? 

it seems to be growing into a trend of healthy players retiring while they can still earn millions playing in the NFL over health concerns

it seems to be growing into a trend of healthy players retiring while they can still earn millions playing in the NFL over health concerns

Guys have always quit early due to injuries...Borland seems to be the first healthy guy...no? I dont see why this is such a "shockwave"

Guys have always quit early due to injuries...Borland seems to be the first healthy guy...no? I dont see why this is such a "shockwave"

A guy who looked liked he was going to be a perennial pro bowler retiring after his healthy rookie season? Nothing like this has ever happened.

And it's huge

I love the NFL and world football. I am aware of the potential damage from heading. Less research and the contact is much milder. Still, I can recall at least one time playing club after redirecting a cross with my head into the ol' onion bag having a minute or so where I was a shade fuzzy. Don't remember celebrating the goal. I was about 16.

Sure i can see that also understand that it can be bad to use your head like that in the long run. However, the football you used to play with was probably a lot heavier than today's. So things must be better nowadays?!

And since a fellow poster asked about soccer vs football, I think it's safe to say that soccer is a healthier choice. Knee and leg injury are the biggest concerns imo.

Sure i can see that also understand that it can be bad to use your head like that in the long run. However, the football you used to play with was probably a lot heavier than today's. So things must be better nowadays?!

And since a fellow poster asked about soccer vs football, I think it's safe to say that soccer is a healthier choice. Knee and leg injury are the biggest concerns imo.

Need to do some more research on better helmets since football players today hit with more force and power. You will see more players retire.

It's not the helmets - the brain is a moveable organ. It's a deceleration acceleration issue. It's the speed of the game and the equipment that are major factors. A like minded comparison though not perfect is rugby which has less serious issues with concussions. Take away the helmet you self protect your head - not saying you necessarily do that but you get the point. Better equipment gives a false sense of security - the brain still suffers. Correct me if I'm wrong - but lineman probably have less incidence of concussions than say LBers/ Wrs.

It's not the helmets - the brain is a moveable organ. It's a deceleration acceleration issue. It's the speed of the game and the equipment that are major factors. A like minded comparison though not perfect is rugby which has less serious issues with concussions. Take away the helmet you self protect your head - not saying you necessarily do that but you get the point. Better equipment gives a false sense of security - the brain still suffers. Correct me if I'm wrong - but lineman probably have less incidence of concussions than say LBers/ Wrs.

No helmet is going to stop TBI in the Nfl or even significantly reduce it. The military has drastically redesigned it's helmets last 10 years and TBI is still a major issue.

If the nfl was actually serious about reducing TBI among its players it would cut preseason games from 4 to 2 and regular season from 16 to 14.

Not fn happening

A guy who looked liked he was going to be a perennial pro bowler retiring after his healthy rookie season? Nothing like this has ever happened.

And it's huge

Why is it huge? He comes from a rich family and wants to do something else. Folks quit their jobs every day. 

Why is it huge? He comes from a rich family and wants to do something else. Folks quit their jobs every day. 

The reason he cited is a direct problem the NFL is dealing with:  Head trauma.  That's why it's a bigger deal than "folks quitting their jobs."  It won't lead to a rash of NFL players retiring but it's absolutely noteworthy.

The real story is he's running away from Eric Mangini. Half of the 49ers defense has defected or retired since he was named the DC.

The concussion thing is bs so he can get put on that bs class action law suit the players have.

Archived