TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

On 8/27/2024 at 8:28 PM, doitny said:

just got hooked on "From". season 1 is still on Amazon for a few days then its MGM plus. season 3 starts Sept 28.

same guys who created "Lost" did this and you will know why when you watch it.. 

I love this show, I hated Lost.

• Upvote 1

On 8/27/2024 at 5:28 PM, doitny said:

just got hooked on "From". season 1 is still on Amazon for a few days then its MGM plus. season 3 starts Sept 28.

same guys who created "Lost" did this and you will know why when you watch it.. 

It’s a good show. Mostly good acting (a couple not so great), interesting and usually fast paced. I gotta say though I’m close to just dropping the show. We never get answers to anything only more questions. Call me crazy but I’d actually like to know what’s going on prior to the final episode of season 75, you know? They don’t even have to answer the biggest mysteries but just some stuff might be nice. Like why the stones do anything or [edited for spoilers]. I’ll give it another season because I do like the hooks but I don’t want to be led on forever without any payoff.

5 hours ago, Nolder said:

It’s a good show. Mostly good acting (a couple not so great), interesting and usually fast paced. I gotta say though I’m close to just dropping the show. We never get answers to anything only more questions. Call me crazy but I’d actually like to know what’s going on prior to the final episode of season 75, you know? They don’t even have to answer the biggest mysteries but just some stuff might be nice. Like why the stones do anything or [edited for spoilers]. I’ll give it another season because I do like the hooks but I don’t want to be led on forever without any payoff.

i get what your saying. imagine if Boyd, the hot mom and Jade told each other all they know. the show would probably be over. lol 

im mixed on that. i like when it drags out because i know we are getting more of the show. but i also hate it as i said above if just 2 of those people told the other what they know we might get a few more answers.

i just hope that when it does end hopefully a long time from now its not a stupid ending. 

i just seen the season 3 trailer and i cant wait. just a little nervous that i only seen Kristi once. i love her. they better not kill her.

• Upvote 1

On 8/26/2024 at 8:55 AM, PFSIKH said:

So, I have been going back to watch 2004 Battlestar Galactica.

A couple of things have stood out.

One, the graphics/CGI over the last 20 years have come along way.  Probably state of the art at the time.

Two, why did the Cylons only make 12 models.    They should have made more.

Last and more a sign of the times.  The show took nine episodes (spread over two seasons) to advance one plotline.  Now, there were episodes that advanced other plotlines, but in today's climate it would have been about 30 minutes.

Now THIS is MY wheelhouse!! LOL

"33", the first Episode of BSG was one of the best episodes of Military Sci fi ever made... brilliant. The problem with the entire show is that RDM never really figured out where the show was going and injected WAY too much metaphysical stuff into it as it progressed. The New Caprica plotline was GREAT, kind of the flip side of where we were at that time IRL... the "Good Guys" were a guerilla force using terrorism against an occupying enemy. Good stuff. And the Attack on New Caprica was just.... awesome.

Actual Video starts at 00:20

Later seasons got... weird. The whole "All along the watchtower" thing was... meh. Again, thats RDM. As he said in an interview later, "I think I was drinking WAY too much scotch when I was writing those screenplays". But they changed the cinematography of how to shoot sci fi, and how to make grounded, fully realized world-built sci fi that heavily influenced one of my OTHER favorite shows of all time... The Expanse. 

Sadly, we no longer have ANY good Sci Fi to watch right now. Sucks.

15 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Have you seen Silo, Dark Matter, Foundation or Severance on AppleTV?  3 Body Problem on Netflix?  Just some suggestions if you're looking for sci fi.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Kolchak said:

Have you seen Silo, Dark Matter, Foundation or Severance on AppleTV?  3 Body Problem on Netflix?  Just some suggestions if you're looking for sci fi.

I know enough about "3 Body Problem" to know it's not something I'm particularly interested in. As for the rest, Nah. Asimov is boring and I don't like Apple TV. But thanks. I guess it's not "general Sci Fi" (anything futuristic or with any vaguely futuristic tech or themes gets listed as "Sci FI"), I miss shows like Stargate, Expanse, BSG... hell, even Space Above and Beyond was OK for a 1990's show. 

Nu Trek is GARBGE aside from Picard Season 3, and there just isn't much of the good 'ol Space Opera/Military Sci Fi left to watch. Fallout is OK, but it's kind of in its own genre. I think we'll have to wait a while and let the Hollywood malaise wear off, hopefully soon. I think they've almost lost enough money by now to realize that what they're doing the last few years isn't working...

Plus, there's been rumors of ANOTHER BSG spinoff/reboot/whatever... forever

46 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Comic books to dragons to this.  I didn't think it was possible, but this thread just got even nerdier!

You're welcome Fellow Nerd. BTW, I'm not the "do your math" type nerd, I was the "Has a copy of Starship Troopers in his Ruck Sack next to the Ammo Drums for his M-249 Machinegun while on patrol" kind of nerd...

18 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I know enough about "3 Body Problem" to know it's not something I'm particularly interested in. As for the rest, Nah. Asimov is boring and I don't like Apple TV. But thanks. I guess it's not "general Sci Fi" (anything futuristic or with any vaguely futuristic tech or themes gets listed as "Sci FI"), I miss shows like Stargate, Expanse, BSG... hell, even Space Above and Beyond was OK for a 1990's show. 

Nu Trek is GARBGE aside from Picard Season 3, and there just isn't much of the good 'ol Space Opera/Military Sci Fi left to watch. Fallout is OK, but it's kind of in its own genre. I think we'll have to wait a while and let the Hollywood malaise wear off, hopefully soon. I think they've almost lost enough money by now to realize that what they're doing the last few years isn't working...

Plus, there's been rumors of ANOTHER BSG spinoff/reboot/whatever... forever

Fair enough.

I actually was looking up about BSG.  I don't think there will be anything any time soon, unfortunately.

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/battlestar-galactica-reboot-canceled-peacock-1236091898/

17 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

"33", the first Episode of BSG was one of the best episodes of Military Sci fi ever made... brilliant. The problem with the entire show is that RDM never really figured out where the show was going and injected WAY too much metaphysical stuff into it as it progressed. The New Caprica plotline was GREAT, kind of the flip side of where we were at that time IRL... the "Good Guys" were a guerilla force using terrorism against an occupying enemy. Good stuff. And the Attack on New Caprica was just.... awesome.

Later seasons got... weird. The whole "All along the watchtower" thing was... meh. Again, thats RDM. As he said in an interview later, "I think I was drinking WAY too much scotch when I was writing those screenplays". But they changed the cinematography of how to shoot sci fi, and how to make grounded, fully realized world-built sci fi that heavily influenced one of my OTHER favorite shows of all time... The Expanse. 

I have never watched a thing BSG related. If I decide to, should I start with the original series from the 70's or the one that came out in 2004?

23 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I have never watched a thing BSG related. If I decide to, should I start with the original series from the 70's or the one that came out in 2004?

The original Series from 1978 was charming and fun when I was 8 years old. 

Just watch the newer series. lol

10 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The original Series from 1978 was charming and fun when I was 8 years old. 

Just watch the newer series. lol

Ok, just checking. You never know. I'll give it a whirl.

Did you watch the V back in 1983?

• Upvote 1

On 8/29/2024 at 2:56 PM, doitny said:

i get what your saying. imagine if Boyd, the hot mom and Jade told each other all they know. the show would probably be over. lol 

True, you have a point. It’s really frustrating though.

On 8/29/2024 at 2:56 PM, doitny said:

im mixed on that. i like when it drags out because i know we are getting more of the show. but i also hate it as i said above if just 2 of those people told the other what they know we might get a few more answers.

i just hope that when it does end hopefully a long time from now its not a stupid ending. 

i just seen the season 3 trailer and i cant wait. just a little nervous that i only seen Kristi once. i love her. they better not kill her.

I’m fine with something short if it’s good. True detective season 1 is a perfect example of something that wasn’t very long but used the time they had excellently to tell a fully fledged and satisfying story.

• Upvote 1

On 8/29/2024 at 3:17 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Did you ever watch Stargate: Universe? A lot of people didn’t like it to be fair but I think it was because they were so used to SG1 and SG Atlantis which were much more campy in tone. SGU is “darker” to use an overused and abused term. It’s basically a Lost In Space premise and if you haven’t seen it I won’t say more than that. All I’ll say is I loved SGU and I am forever bitter that it got cancelled and didn’t even get a movie to conclude the cliffhanger they left it on. If that sort of thing bothers you then pass it by because it still haunts me lol.

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2024 at 7:51 AM, JiFtheOracle said:

Season 2 is horrible, one of the worst seasons 2 from a great season 1, ever.  It sucks, so bad but it gets better and sets up the rest of the series and the rest of the series, is amazing. 

Disagree.  Season 2 is just different because it focuses on the decline of unions 

I also think the finale of the wire is insanely underrated.  Create a fake serial killer just to get funding to catch the real bad guys no one cares about I love it

4 hours ago, Nolder said:

Did you ever watch Stargate: Universe? A lot of people didn’t like it to be fair but I think it was because they were so used to SG1 and SG Atlantis which were much more campy in tone. SGU is “darker” to use an overused and abused term. It’s basically a Lost In Space premise and if you haven’t seen it I won’t say more than that. All I’ll say is I loved SGU and I am forever bitter that it got cancelled and didn’t even get a movie to conclude the cliffhanger they left it on. If that sort of thing bothers you then pass it by because it still haunts me lol.

You mean Stargate:BSG? LOL. Yup, watched it... it's pretty "meh". Dark tone, interesting premise... AWFUL characters. Terrible. It's been a while but what I vaguely remember:

Fat Science Kid

Angry, secretive Scottish Science man

Blond cutie soldier with bad attitude

Jack O'Neill/John Sheppard wanna-be guy

Lou Diamond Phillips. 

Holding rocks to astral project/communicate wit earth.

Being bored. 

On 9/1/2024 at 7:23 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

You mean Stargate:BSG? LOL. Yup, watched it... it's pretty "meh". Dark tone, interesting premise... AWFUL characters. Terrible. It's been a while but what I vaguely remember:

Fat Science Kid

Angry, secretive Scottish Science man

Blond cutie soldier with bad attitude

Jack O'Neill/John Sheppard wanna-be guy

Lou Diamond Phillips. 

Holding rocks to astral project/communicate wit earth.

Being bored. 

That sounds about right lol. 

On 8/29/2024 at 5:17 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

I forgot that was the first episode.  I was looking for it and clicked season 1 and star with episode 1.  I was like WTF.  Took a minute to figure out it started with the miniseries.

I am a few episodes beyond New Caprica part.  The one thing I think is a lot off, at least from my perspective and experience, is the drinking and getting practically black out drunk by the crew members.  Pre-miniseries I could see this, but since the Cyclons dropped the boom.  Not so much.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

I forgot that was the first episode.  I was looking for it and clicked season 1 and star with episode 1.  I was like WTF.  Took a minute to figure out it started with the miniseries.

I am a few episodes beyond New Caprica part.  The one thing I think is a lot off, at least from my perspective and experience, is the drinking and getting practically black out drunk by the crew members.  Pre-miniseries I could see this, but since the Cyclons dropped the boom.  Not so much.

Yeah, aside from Tigh (A criminally underrated Michael Hogan), the drinking really starts later. My uncle was a Tanker in WWII (Sherman in Patton's 3rd). He said he was pretty much drunk the whole war, and he never drank another drop of Wine in his life after leaving Europe. I think it's just to show fatalism knowing your world is literally gone and there's not much hope for survival. The spiritualism stuff is what brought me out of it. I get what they were doing, but a space-faring society, space war, sentient robots and metaphysical/spiritual themes and prophesy really didn't mix well imo. Thats only for Dune, dammit!

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yeah, aside from Tigh (A criminally underrated Michael Hogan), the drinking really starts later. My uncle was a Tanker in WWII (Sherman in Patton's 3rd). He said he was pretty much drunk the whole war, and he never drank another drop of Wine in his life after leaving Europe. I think it's just to show fatalism knowing your world is literally gone and there's not much hope for survival. The spiritualism stuff is what brought me out of it. I get what they were doing, but a space-faring society, space war, sentient robots and metaphysical/spiritual themes and prophesy really didn't mix well imo. Thats only for Dune, dammit!

The dude was in a Hallmark movie.  🤨

As far as the drinking, that is why I qualified it as "from my perspective and experience".  Anyone deployed over the past couple of decades have heard of General Order #1.  That is more of an annoyance to me for all shows/movies that touch on the military.  How much would it cost to hire an ex-military member to QC all of this?  **stepping down from soapbox**

That or your religious point do not really bother me.  They leaned into it from the start.  Unlike Lost, which "oh yeah...Jack this is a place you all made up to find each other".

4 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

The dude was in a Hallmark movie.  🤨

As far as the drinking, that is why I qualified it as "from my perspective and experience".  Anyone deployed over the past couple of decades have heard of General Order #1.  That is more of an annoyance to me for all shows/movies that touch on the military.  How much would it cost to hire an ex-military member to QC all of this?  **stepping down from soapbox**

That or your religious point do not really bother me.  They leaned into it from the start.  Unlike Lost, which "oh yeah...Jack this is a place you all made up to find each other".

Yeah, I know. But I think "rules" would kind of go out the window if the entire Planet and 99% of its inhabitants were obliterated and the only survivors were the crew of the USS Gerald Ford and a few freighters and a cruise ship drifting around looking for an unirradiated place the technologically advanced aliens that wiped Earth out wouldn't find you (That would be an interesting premise for a show!) Thats the only allegory I can think of in real-world terms. sh*t would get UGLY. 

On the other hand, the way the Army was portrayed in Reacher Season 2 pretty much ruined the season for me. It was like how a 5 year old kid --- or a 24 year old Gender Studies major ---  might think the Army is. lol

56 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yeah, I know. But I think "rules" would kind of go out the window if the entire Planet and 99% of its inhabitants were obliterated and the only survivors were the crew of the USS Gerald Ford and a few freighters and a cruise ship drifting around looking for an unirradiated place the technologically advanced aliens that wiped Earth out wouldn't find you (That would be an interesting premise for a show!) Thats the only allegory I can think of in real-world terms. sh*t would get UGLY. 

On the other hand, the way the Army was portrayed in Reacher Season 2 pretty much ruined the season for me. It was like how a 5 year old kid --- or a 24 year old Gender Studies major ---  might think the Army is. lol

Gi Joe 80S GIF

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

BSG kind of has a loose grip on "rules" to begin with.

The endless supply of specific bottled alcohol (not Chief Terrell's hooch) and Baltar and the Doctor's endless supply of cigarettes.

I enjoyed the show back then and still do today.  I am really just picking nits.  They figured out faster than light space travel and doctors can smoke in their treatment areas.  Who am I to judge?  🤣