Which Jets team since 1982 had the best chance to win the SB

TuscanyTile2

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Jets team (since 1980) had the best chance to win the superbowl?

• 1983 Jets: Mud Bowl loss in Miami. (WAS beat MIA in SB)
    • 1986 Jets: Beat KC in WC then Gastineau cost us the Cleveland game. (NYG beat DEN in SB)
    • 1998 Jets: Beat Jax in Divisional game. Lost to Denver in AFC CG. (DEN beat ATL in SB)
    • 1999 Jets (by request): Vinny hurt on opening day. Missed playoffs. (RAM beat TEN in SB)
    • 2004 Jets: Beat SD in WC. Lost to PIT in Divisional game. (NE beat PHI in SB)
    • 2009 Jets: Beat CIN in WC. Beat SD in Divisonal game. lost to IND in AFC CG. (NO beat IND in SB)
    • 2010 Jets: Beat IND in WC. Beat NE in Divisional game. Lost to PIT in AFC CG (GB beat PIT in SB)

that '02 Oakland Roiders team was great as well.  Remember they had some guy go nuts and drive to Mexico on the day of the game?  Dude just straight quit on them.

But the JEts would beat those Buccs, Pennington was at his best that year.  Even lead the NFL in QB rating.

Chad was good in his first year starting but Rich Gannon was a All Pro that year I just don't see him beating either team JMO..

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'98...that team was loaded from top to bottom...best Jets roster I've ever seen.

So strange that the Broncos completely shut down the run game with their emphasis in practice all week being centered around letting Vinny keep throwing until he turned it over.

All that talent and they just came out and played one of the sloppiest games ever....six turnovers in an AFCCG...that's gotta' be some kind of record.

The Jacksonville game the week prior was also a wacky/messy one.  I remember the announcer (I think it was Randy Cross) calling Jacksonville "the thing that wouldn't die".  It took a Keyshawn interception at the end to finally put the stake in them.

I think the '98 team was the best.  We would've won the SB (at least I believe) over Atlanta had we been able to hold the lead against Denver in the AFC CG.  I rewatched that 2nd half for the first time maybe ever the other day and we didn't play nearly as bad as I remembered.  There were several freaky plays that really cost us (the short kickoff that Denver recovered, the Van Dyke fumble when we were driving, Chrebet falling leading to an INT).  Darien Gordon crushed us that day w/ his special teams returns and Terrell Davis was a star that we really couldn't contain (despite Belichick and Parcells' brilliance).

The 1983 Jets were a very strong team but I don't know that they would've had a chance against the Hogs.  That Redskins team was exceptionally strong and well coached.  But it certainly would've been an interesting matchup.

I guess I forgot how strong the '86 Jets were.  Surprisingly I didn't remember we had such a rash of injuries.  I just remember us falling apart and thinking it was O'Brien losing his mojo.  Pat Ryan was a very solid backup though and he got us the KC wildcard win and played well enough against Cleveland (though he got hurt that day and O'Brien came back).  I don't see how we could've possibly beaten that Giants team though.  That was an underrated strong team.  I think their D was one of the all time greats.

The '99 Jets could've and probably would've been a very good team but they would've ultimately had to face the greatest show on turf.  We would've had a shot (if we were able to make it that far) but it wouldn't have been easy.

The '09 and '10 Jets both overachieved. I didn't truly think either ultimately had a chance to win it all.  New Orleans and Green Bay both would've been heavy favorites and deservedly so.

The '04 team wasn't anything special but they did do surprisingly well in the post-season.

Overall, I'd say the '98 team had the best chance.  The '99 team might've had the 2nd best chance IMO.  The '83 team would've had a small chance IMO (Redskins extremely strong).  The '86 team would've had almost no chance IMO (Giants were too strong)  The NFC (especially the NFC East) was an absolute powerhouse and dominated football from 1981 through 1996.

From memory:

1981: 49ers

1982: Redskins

1983: Raiders (AFC)

1984: 49ers

1985: Bears

1986: Giants

1987: Redskins

1988: 49ers

1989: 49ers

1990: Giants

1991: Redskins

1992: Cowboys

1993: Cowboys

1994: 49ers

1995: Cowboys

1996: Packers

that '02 Oakland Roiders team was great as well. Remember they had some guy go nuts and drive to Mexico on the day of the game? Dude just straight quit on them.

But the JEts would beat those Buccs, Pennington was at his best that year. Even lead the NFL in QB rating.

Pennington was very good that year, but Tampa's D was amazing. They weren't just stopping opponents from scoring, but they were scoring TDs themselves. Sapp, Brooks, Lynch, Barber, Rice, etc.....that was a hell of a defense.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Pennington was very good that year, but Tampa's D was amazing. They weren't just stopping opponents from scoring, but they were scoring TDs themselves. Sapp, Brooks, Lynch, Barber, Rice, etc.....that was a hell of a defense.

That's why I always say Dungy is overrated. A better coach could have won two or three championships with that incredible defense.

That's why I always say Dungy is overrated. A better coach could have won two or three championships with that incredible defense.

Yeah, I'll give him credit for being the guy to assemble that juggernaut of a squad, but it seemed like he just couldn't get them over the top.

Same in Indy. He walked into the perfect situation for a defensive minded coach.....franchise QB (Top 1-2 in the league), great weapons from receiver to backs, and even some pieces on D with Freeny and Mathis (I think he was there when they drafted Sanders and Bathea). His job was to build a competent Defense that Peyton and the O could rely on come playoff time. The only title they won was the season their D sucked during the season but Sanders returned and gave them a jolt in the playoffs.

If Dungy did a better job developing the Defense they probably win 2 or 3 SBs instead of 1.

EDIT: I think Irsay realized this and that's why he hired Pagano to coach the team. You can tell they've definitely tried to build a more physical team by valuing the running game and building a 3-4 defense to compliment his new franchise, top tier QB. It hasn't worked out so far, but you can tell that's the direction they want to go in building that team.

Yeah, I'll give him credit for being the guy to assemble that juggernaut of a squad, but it seemed like he just couldn't get them over the top.

Same in Indy. He walked into the perfect situation for a defensive minded coach.....franchise QB (Top 1-2 in the league), great weapons from receiver to backs, and even some pieces on D with Freeny and Mathis (I think he was there when they drafted Sanders and Bathea). His job was to build a competent Defense that Peyton and the O could rely on come playoff time. The only title they won was the season their D sucked during the season but Sanders returned and gave them a jolt in the playoffs.

If Dungy did a better job developing the Defense they probably win 2 or 3 SBs instead of 1.

EDIT: I think Irsay realized this and that's why he hired Pagano to coach the team. You can tell they've definitely tried to build a more physical team by valuing the running game and building a 3-4 defense to compliment his new franchise, top tier QB. It hasn't worked out so far, but you can tell that's the direction they want to go in building that team.

Yep...Dungy was hired but was told Tom Moore would stay on to 100% run the offense.  That's why I thought somebody like Atlanta would hire Rex.  QB/offense in place and good defense wins them that division EASILY.

Archived