Jets Draft Room Board

prime21

Agree with what you said.

However, keep in mind that Mike Mc found one of the best RB's in the NFL as a UDFA.

Can't see him taking a RB with a top 10 pick.

Maybe.  But using the same logic, why did Bellichick use mid-round picks on Mallet and Garoppolo?  That is 75% just tweaking you but it does sort of relate.  I don't think you can count on pulling a top RB out of UDFA just because you pulled it off once.  Maybe Mac does believe that.  I think Terrell Davis was a 6th rounder FWIW.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't see White suffering from Stephen Hill syndrome.

Hill had 28 rec his last college year and 43 over his last two years.

White had 109 his last year and 144 his last two years. That to go along with highlights in which it ape pars that White plucks the all with his hands and wins contested balls.

White was highly rated before the combine due to tape and last year results.

GT had about 160 pass attempts in 2011, WV had 540 last year.. White and Hill both caught around 20% of thier teams attempts

GT had about 160 pass attempts in 2011, WV had 540 last year.. White and Hill both caught around 20% of thier teams attempts

Yes.....and?  Does this make Kerley a viable alternative to Demaryious thomas?  One guy caught over 100 balls the other 28.  People said, hey he only caught 28 but he played for Gtech thus he really is better than what his tape shows. 

Yes.....and? Does this make Kerley a viable alternative to Demaryious thomas? One guy caught over 100 balls the other 28. People said, hey he only caught 28 but he played for Gtech thus he really is better than what his tape shows.

Different issues are being conflated here. Market share tempers White's production and small sample size tempers Hill's market share.

Different issues are being conflated here. Market share tempers White's production and small sample size tempers Hill's market share.

Oh I realize that, in the end the guy caught over 100 passes in a pass happy offense, he did not drop gobs of balls, he ran both long and short routes, he scored tds.  If you are catching that many passes of varying lengths and the film shows you catching with your hands and beating close coverage for 50/50 balls it's much different than a small sample size for Hill.  People call White a one year combine wonder, Hill was a zero year combine wonder.

Oh I realize that, in the end the guy caught over 100 passes in a pass happy offense, he did not drop gobs of balls, he ran both long and short routes, he scored tds. If you are catching that many passes of varying lengths and the film shows you catching with your hands and beating close coverage for 50/50 balls it's much different than a small sample size for Hill. People call White a one year combine wonder, Hill was a zero year combine wonder.

I don't hate White as a prospect. He's fine at 6 if the board breaks exactly right (wrong). I think Winston, Mariota, Williams, Cooper, and Beasley go, and I'm definitely not taking him over Dupree, but if Williams falls and we can't move and we're going to pay Wilkerson, White would certainly be on the short list of reasonable options. But there's already at least five guys in Cooper, the QBs, and the OLBs that are definitely ahead.

Of course, but you can't compare gross numbers when one team threw it 530 times and the other 160

Yeah I really want Cooper, but if Oakland takes him I wouldn't mind going pass rusher at 6 and WR in the 2nd since it's a deep position. Really would like to fill those two positions.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I read some articles saying that pass rusher, WR, and RB were the real meat of this draft, and otherwise it's a pretty average one.  So I think it's good news that those are the positions that we do need to address moreso even after free agency, which leads me to believe that Mac and company based their free agency around the strengths and weaknesses of the draft.  

I think on an overall level, LB/WR/RB would be the ideal path to go, because the drop off from LB at 6 to LB at 37 is greater than the drop off from WR at 6 to 37.  And there are enough RBs that one good RB should last until the third.  I think the Ridley signing was just hedging the bet against a RB run between rounds 2 and 3.  

Saying all that, I think Cooper is such a perfect prospect for us, that I'd be willing to throw it all out and just take him at 6 because his impact on the offense to me is greater than any LB's impact on defense.   

Yeah, I read some articles saying that pass rusher, WR, and RB were the real meat of this draft, and otherwise it's a pretty average one.  So I think it's good news that those are the positions that we do need to address moreso even after free agency, which leads me to believe that Mac and company based their free agency around the strengths and weaknesses of the draft.  

I think on an overall level, LB/WR/RB would be the ideal path to go, because the drop off from LB at 6 to LB at 37 is greater than the drop off from WR at 6 to 37.  And there are enough RBs that one good RB should last until the third.  I think the Ridley signing was just hedging the bet against a RB run between rounds 2 and 3.  

Saying all that, I think Cooper is such a perfect prospect for us, that I'd be willing to throw it all out and just take him at 6 because his impact on the offense to me is greater than any LB's impact on defense.

Excellent post ... Give me Beasley or Cooper if we stay at 6

You should stop plagiarizing me. :) This has been my point all along -- this is a very good draft year for the Jets because its depth is precisely in the areas that the Jets will be targeting. But I would throw in an OL to the mix somewhere as well. Those are the Jets targets: WR, OLB, RB and OL. If a QB is out there to grab either at the top or bottom of the first four picks, they'll give up one of the offensive options. They beefed up OL, WR and RB before the draft so they could flex on this point.

Excellent post ... Give me Beasley or Cooper if we stay at 6

Thanks.  Yeah, both fit great into what we need:  Speed.  We have the size, if we can add speed to either the offense or the defense, it would really kick it up a notch.  

You should stop plagiarizing me. :) This has been my point all along -- this is a very good draft year for the Jets because its depth is precisely in the areas that the Jets will be targeting. But I would throw in an OL to the mix somewhere as well. Those are the Jets targets: WR, OLB, RB and OL. If a QB is out there to grab either at the top or bottom of the first four picks, they'll give up one of the offensive options. They beefed up OL, WR and RB before the draft so they could flex on this point.

I would love to add OL in the draft, but my main issue is I don't know how to evaluate them at all on a play by play basis, so I feel like I'm just repeating what the main draft commentators are saying, so I just avoid it.  I think the first might be too high for an OL in this draft unless we move down, but LB/WR/RB is lining up perfectly.  Something like Beasely, Agolohor (also takes care of the kick/punt returns), and maybe David Johnson fills everything for us.  I think if it wasn't for my man crush on Cooper, that's the perfect draft scenario for us, and then possibly pick a project OL in the 4th, and have him develop while we have guys that can play for this year.   

This would set us up with Beasely being an immediate threat for sacks because our DL forces him to get one on one matchups.   Agolohor can be the punt/kick returner to start as he gets acclimated so we don't kick Kerley to the curb, and he can play both inside and outside incase of injury.  And as the year goes on, we can phase Kerley out more and more without losing much on the field.  And Johnson ensures that the 3rd RB spot is a competition between Powell/Ridley, which gives us two options to choose from, instead of one borderline roster guy and three guys plucked off their couches.  

I think more than the signings, it's the structured approach to free agency and setting us up to pick the BPA in the draft that impresses me.  For as much as Idzik preached the draft, he went into the draft with big holes at parts of the team that forced his hands one way or another.  With all the trade rumors, it'll be interesting to see if they move down at all. 

I think there is now way that we do not make a trade and let MM pass us by.

Rotoworld

According to ESPN New York's Rich Cimini, the "latest buzz in league circles" is the Jets would pass on Marcus Mariota if he lasted until the No. 6 pick.

The Jets seem all set to go with Geno Smith behind Chan Gailey favorite Ryan Fitzpatrick. Cimini concedes "chances are, it won't matter" that the Jets would pass on Mariota because he's likely to be taken with the No. 2 overall pick

Rotoworld

According to ESPN New York's Rich Cimini, the "latest buzz in league circles" is the Jets would pass on Marcus Mariota if he lasted until the No. 6 pick.

The Jets seem all set to go with Geno Smith behind Chan Gailey favorite Ryan Fitzpatrick. Cimini concedes "chances are, it won't matter" that the Jets would pass on Mariota because he's likely to be taken with the No. 2 overall pick

I've been saying this for a while now. It doesn't really make sense that something that would cause Mariota to fall to 6 but wouldn't cause him to fall any farther.

Rotoworld

If you compare the stat lines of Geno and Marcus Mariota (just take their junior and senior years to make it an equal comparison) and imagine them both going this year.... honestly, their college stats are so close it's scary. And they both played in the spread, and both have had trouble with the second option in the checkdown... accuracy drops. Both can run with the ball. From that perspective, the Jets may very well be feeling that Mariota is going to be Geno, Part 2 -- if so why draft the guy. You already have him on your staff with two years of brutal experience. I think the Jets should look for a more pure pocket passer like Garrett Grayson and Sean Mannion... and develop.

Archived