Jets Draft Room Board

prime21

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we take an olineman at 6 we are f'ed in the head.

If we stay at 6 these are the players I'd be okay with.

Williams

Cooper

White

Gurley

Beasley

Fowler

Dupree

Heck even Parker

Do not want an olineman or either of the QB's at 6.  I simply don;t think those positions are strong enough, yeah even the top two QB's.  I know I'll get flayed alive for saying that.

My fav scenario if we don't get one of the top two WR would be to trade down.

Why is it each draft we are always one spot below where we would like to be!

In this draft we could have been as high as #3 if not for that 4th quarter comeback win against the DollPhags charged up by a fake punt play call.

RB is a 2nd or 3rd  round pick not in the first round. The pick hopefully is Fowler or Cooper. If one of them magically drops we can call our selves real lucky.

The closer it gets, the more I want an elite WR. Maybe it's because I'm so tired of watching a punchless offense for so long, that I wish we could have three wide receivers that could strike fear into the opposition.

I think I would do backflips if we get to pick Cooper. He fits perfectly into the team, now and in the future if we move on from Marshall.

My TV would do backflips out the window if we pick a RB without trading down.

I think WR is my personal favorite pick, but I can understand going LB/WR in the first two because of supply and demand.

Exactly.

How many Super Bowl titles do Gayle Sayers, Barry Sanders and Adrian Peterson have?

RB's in the NFL are a dime a dozen.

You can play that game a lot of ways.

How many Super Bowl titles do Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton and Warren Moon have?

Randy Moss never won a Super Bowl (sorry...too soon?).  Neither did Cris Carter...two of the best to play the game.

You could argue that Elway couldn't win a ring until Terrell Davis came to town.  Or that Marcus Allen was the main ingredient of the Raiders' SB win.

Generally, you are right in that a great RB doesn't guarantee a ring as much as a great QB, but if you believe in BPA and there isn't a QB to pick (assuming JW and MM are gone) I don't think taking a great talent at RB is a bad choice.

You have to wonder how big an impact the Dallas decisions to invest heavily in the offensive line with such great results for a team that looks dead in the water has had on this year's war rooms. While I would live with the decision to use a very high pick on a hybrid RT/OG, I have to wonder how much of a marginal gain we would get out of Scherff vs. Cann, Marpet, Tre Jackson, or Ogbuehi in the second or even third. The difference between Kevin White or Amari Cooper and guys like Devin Smith, Dorsett, Funchess, Coates, or Lockett seems much larger. White and Cooper are truly elite at a high skill position -- the kind of players that teams have typically traded up for at great cost (Watkins, J. Jones). Even OLB seems to have significant drop off by the second. That's the problem with taking a plug and play G/T. It's also a question of opportunity cost re what the value of what you didn't take.

I am not going to pretend that I know what their board looks like. But I am about as excited for this draft as I have ever been.

I am not. I have a feeling that Cooper will be off the board and we are going to end up with Fowler or some other DE/OLB who will not live up to thier draft position

Really want to grab a skill position this year, but I don't think it's going to happen

You have to wonder how big an impact the Dallas decisions to invest heavily in the offensive line with such great results for a team that looks dead in the water has had on this year's war rooms. While I would live with the decision to use a very high pick on a hybrid RT/OG, I have to wonder how much of a marginal gain we would get out of Scherff vs. Cann, Marpet, Tre Jackson, or Ogbuehi in the second or even third. The difference between Kevin White or Amari Cooper and guys like Devin Smith, Dorsett, Funchess, Coates, or Lockett seems much larger. White and Cooper are truly elite at a high skill position -- the kind of players that teams have typically traded up for at great cost (Watkins, J. Jones). Even OLB seems to have significant drop off by the second. That's the problem with taking a plug and play G/T. It's also a question of opportunity cost re what the value of what you didn't take.

I think that's part of positional value, while the gross difference in skill between a very good and good guard  vs a very good and good WR might be the same, the actual impact on the field is greater for the latter due to positional value

I am not. I have a feeling that Cooper will be off the board and we are going to end up with Fowler or some other DE/OLB who will not live up to thier draft position

Really want to grab a skill position this year, but I don't think it's going to happen

Worst case, one of Cooper, White or Gurley will be available at #6.  Gurley is a very polarizing prospect, but even the haters will be excited to see him line up on that first play in September.  Not saying the Jets will go that way, but there will be a viable skill position player available.

The closer it gets, the more I want an elite WR. Maybe it's because I'm so tired of watching a punchless offense for so long, that I wish we could have three wide receivers that could strike fear into the opposition.

I think I would do backflips if we get to pick Cooper. He fits perfectly into the team, now and in the future if we move on from Marshall.

My TV would do backflips out the window if we pick a RB without trading down.

I think WR is my personal favorite pick, but I can understand going LB/WR in the first two because of supply and demand.

Yeah I really want Cooper, but if Oakland takes him I wouldn't mind going pass rusher at 6 and WR in the 2nd since it's a deep position. Really would like to fill those two positions.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

LOL- we are in water and still floating. I am not sure if this boat can actually move forward. But we will find out soon enough!

" this boat " can move forward one we get an NFL ready qb..

cheers ~ ~

:cheer:

I think that's part of positional value, while the gross difference in skill between a very good and good guard  vs a very good and good WR might be the same, the actual impact on the field is greater for the latter due to positional value

Exactly. Unless Scherff is Anthony Munoz part 2, it's a very hard sell. I'm puzzled at the lack of enthusiasm for Kevin White here. He's a tremendous package and will have higher ceiling as a receiver in the NFL than Cooper. I wouldn't be at all disappointed if they went with him as a pick at #6. My problem with the OLB's is that they all seem to be valued too high for my taste. None of them is without some warts. I would be fine with a pick of an OLB around 12 or later, but at 3-6 it's questionable. I'm still dubious about Fowler that high. He's got size, but he's not as explosive as guys like Beasley or Ray, he's not got the length of Gregory, but he's a balanced option re pass and run defense. He looks the part physically for a 3-4, but not a "no brainer" pick for me.

Exactly. Unless Scherff is Anthony Munoz part 2, it's a very hard sell. I'm puzzled at the lack of enthusiasm for Kevin White here. He's a tremendous package and will have higher ceiling as a receiver in the NFL than Cooper. I wouldn't be at all disappointed if they went with him as a pick at #6. My problem with the OLB's is that they all seem to be valued too high for my taste. None of them is without some warts. I would be fine with a pick of an OLB around 12 or later, but at 3-6 it's questionable. I'm still dubious about Fowler that high. He's got size, but he's not as explosive as guys like Beasley or Ray, he's not got the length of Gregory, but he's a balanced option re pass and run defense. He looks the part physically for a 3-4, but not a "no brainer" pick for me.

Mostly cause he's only done it 1 year, and the stats he put up were in a pass happy offense, which undermines them. Check this out

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/playmaker-score-2015

Mostly cause he's only done it 1 year, and the stats he put up were in a pass happy offense, which undermines them. Check this out

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/playmaker-score-2015

Thanks. That was interesting, as well as the link to the measurables charts. Coates and Strong ahead of Perriman, Parker and White? I don't know....

Watch Devonte Parker end up better than them all!

I bet you Buffalo wishes they took OBJ!

Draft is such a crapshoot it's hilarious to see people talking in such absolutes!

Mariota will bust

Scherff can only play guard

Beasleys the next Gholston

White has more "upside" than Cooper

The list goes on & on

But, every year in every draft teams make mistakes.

Unless the NFL is increasing roster sizes & practice squad sizes the Jets won't even have space for a "bunch" of picks if they trade down!

Hell, I say if we trade out of 6 Mac will trade BACK UP targeting BPA guys that slip which happens every year.

I'd love a top heavy draft of say Scherff, Parker, Byron Jones, Ajayi.

Bam! Done! 4 man draft.

Watch Devonte Parker end up better than them all!

I bet you Buffalo wishes they took OBJ!

Draft is such a crapshoot it's hilarious to see people talking in such absolutes!

Mariota will bust

Scherff can only play guard

Beasleys the next Gholston

White has more "upside" than Cooper

The list goes on & on

But, every year in every draft teams make mistakes.

Unless the NFL is increasing roster sizes & practice squad sizes the Jets won't even have space for a "bunch" of picks if they trade down!

Hell, I say if we trade out of 6 Mac will trade BACK UP targeting BPA guys that slip which happens every year.

I'd love a top heavy draft of say Scherff, Parker, Byron Jones, Ajayi.

Bam! Done! 4 man draft.

I hear you. For me, it's all fan guesswork having read the same articles and seen the same highlight tapes as everybody else. But we can still have an opinion... no worse than some of the media experts who seem completely out to lunch. With that said, it is a guarantee that White has more upside than Cooper. If he doesn't deliver on that, I'll still be right because it's one of those statements that is forever in the future. And Beasley is definitely not the next Gholston. Even Rex pointed out that Beasley aint a workout warrior bust. He has a pretty good eye.

It's in no way rational but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some Stephen Hill hangover effect going on in some minds. 

It's in no way rational but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some Stephen Hill hangover effect going on in some minds. 

Maybe.. but anyone who doubts White (or any other WR) because of the lingering pain of having gone through the "Stephen Hill experience", ought to be feeling even more cautious about drafting an edge rusher after having gone through the even worse pain of the "Vernon Gholston experience".

I just don't see White suffering from Stephen Hill syndrome.

Hill had 28 rec his last college year and 43 over his last two years.

White had 109 his last year and 144 his last two years.  That to go along with highlights in which it ape pars that White plucks the all with his hands and wins contested balls.

White was highly rated before the combine due to tape and last year results.

I really, really doubt it. I have said this before, I do not think White is deserving of a  Top 10 pick.  But to compare him to Stephen Hill is like comparing apples and oranges.

I just don't see White suffering from Stephen Hill syndrome.

Hill had 28 rec his last college year and 43 over his last two years.

White had 109 his last year and 144 his last two years.  That to go along with highlights in which it ape pars that White plucks the all with his hands and wins contested balls.

White was highly rated before the combine due to tape and last year results.

There's no doubt that White is more of a risk than somebody like Cooper. If Cooper is there, I would take him over White if only because I want a definite A player over a possible A+ player who could end up a C at that high a pick. Still think White has more upside, but I get the complaint with saying that. I don't have any money invested in the comment.

Re OLB, I'd be so much happier with that kind of pick later, but based on evaluations now, those guys will go like hotcakes.

Re Gurley, if he's the next Adrian Peterson, he will tilt the offense.and be worth a #6, regardless of stats on RB's and Superbowls. But if he's anything significantly less, we'll have taken a hit.. From that standpoint, getting a guy like Scherff and picking up a Duke or David Johnson in the 2nd or 3rd would be a solid one-two punch. Together that kind of duo would instantly upgrade our whole offense. Of course a franchise QB would be ideal, but that ain't happening this year.

I wouldn't take Gurley at 6 either. Dallas or Baltimore both might be in the market but that is a long way to trade up and I doubt they have the ammunition to do it. Cleveland at 12 might be an option, especially if Cooper is still there. If he is I would like the Jets to take him. I doubt that they take Scherff at 6 too.

You can play that game a lot of ways.

How many Super Bowl titles do Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton and Warren Moon have?

Randy Moss never won a Super Bowl (sorry...too soon?).  Neither did Cris Carter...two of the best to play the game.

You could argue that Elway couldn't win a ring until Terrell Davis came to town.  Or that Marcus Allen was the main ingredient of the Raiders' SB win.

Generally, you are right in that a great RB doesn't guarantee a ring as much as a great QB, but if you believe in BPA and there isn't a QB to pick (assuming JW and MM are gone) I don't think taking a great talent at RB is a bad choice.

Agree with what you said.

However, keep in mind that Mike Mc found one of the best RB's in the NFL as a UDFA.

Can't see him taking a RB with a top 10 pick.

I have a bad feeling the jets go LB and it fails while at the same time the giants select  Gurley and he is AP like and we can just watch in disgust for the next 5+ years

I want Cooper or Gurley or flip pick for rivers

Archived