Whats the trade value of Damon Harrison ?

JetsFanInDenver

If we trade him I would think his value would be a late second to early third but I could see something similar to how we got Ivory, we offered a 3rd and they said no then in the fourth round they either didn't get their player or someone fell who they didn't expect to and took our fourth for him.

Snacks is probably top 3 NT' in league. Cleveland just took Shelton with the 12th pick. Pats took Brown to replace Wilfork. These guys don' t grow on trees. Doubt Jets would move Snacks. He' s too good at a vital position.

Exactly. Plus Williams isn't a NT, so it's not like he or Sheldon can replace Snacks anyways.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Snacks is probably top 3 NT' in league. Cleveland just took Shelton with the 12th pick. Pats took Brown to replace Wilfork. These guys don' t grow on trees. Doubt Jets would move Snacks. He' s too good at a vital position.

But I read here, just before tagging Snacks with a 2nd (and debating 1st vs 2nd round tender), that no one takes a NT that early. Because they're 1-dimensional run-stoppers and today's game is essentially a 1-dimensional passing league where a NT like that has only mid-round value maximum.

So it didn't happen. You must have been hallucinating last night.

But I read here, just before tagging Snacks with a 2nd (and debating 1st vs 2nd round tender), that no one takes a NT that early. Because they're 1-dimensional run-stoppers and today's game is essentially a 1-dimensional passing league where a NT like that has only mid-round value maximum.

U like the williams pick Sperm?

Lol! Think Ranger fans wish they were hallucinating last night.What do you think plan of attack is tonight?

U like the williams pick Sperm?

Yes, though I would have preferred Cooper if he fell. Understand I'm not one who's watched endless film on these kids.

I like that we didn't draft a bust (I'm taking that from the article I read on him breaking down film; that he's not just a physical freak who overpowered lesser college-level talents). I felt that (injury aside) Cooper was similarly bust-proof.

For all of White's upside - and going by others' opinions on him he'll be a good one - even his biggest supporters, if honest, acknowledge that while his upside might technically be a bit higher than Cooper's, his downside is dramatically lower (which is what made Cooper a better prospect; even if he's worse than White it probably won't be by a whole lot).

It's clear the team was in no hurry to re-sign Wilkerson long term. I don't know why so far. Maybe it was a "what if" in case the draft ended up as it did, where all other things being equal the no-brainer pick was Williams. And if Wilkerson was already re-signed it would be harder to justify. Then again they may still lock him up long term despite indications they won't (Maccagnan's weak endorsement of him last night, by saying something like as of now Wilkerson's a Jet).

Then pretty soon Richardson will come up. Plus Harrison, who could be close to $10M/year less expensive on a long term deal, is only on a final season RFA deal himself. There's only so much cash one can throw at a DL. If Wilkerson truly wants $15-16M per (and I don't know that he does) then Richardson will want and deserve at least the same. Are they worth it? I don't know. We had them both for the past couple of seasons and we still sucked.

Plus, as good as Wilkerson is and as much a fan of his as I am, the reality is our defense didn't take a giant step backward when he was off the field and replaced by (a then relatively underweight) Coples plus Douzable. Don't misinterpret; I do NOT want to see Wilkerson go as he has shown in the past that he absolutely can be dominant. Plenty of games, including nationally televised ones where non-regulars to calling Jets games sounded like they were about to say, "Holy crap who the hell IS this guy?"

In the end I think it came down to value we couldn't pass up on, assurance we will get a top player with our #6 overall pick, and difficulties in re-signing Mo. Pool all that together with other DL players we have and can keep now, and it adds up to we don't NEED Mo as badly as we all want him here to stay. It simply leaves more options open this way without making us worse, and bypassing the "what if" of a bust or of over-drafting an offensive lineman (who should be absolutely incredible at absolutely everything if taken that early and there apparently weren't any in this draft).

#6 in the country is for can't miss prospects that one can't find in FA for under $15M/year. Granted, it's better when that matches up perfectly with an obvious hole on the team. But once upon a time people were high-fiving our move up to #5 for a QB when we needed one so badly. Or the same when we took Gholston and badly needed an OLB in his physical mold. Now if Williams is merely good while White becomes Andre Johnson II, compounded with Marshall maybe aging faster than expected, many won't be speaking of the move so lovingly in hindsight.

In other words, let's see how this all plays out. I do like it when, staying pat at #6, we get the prospect many/most felt was the best player in the draft.

Lol! Think Ranger fans wish they were hallucinating last night.What do you think plan of attack is tonight?

lol

Tonight hard to say because we don't know who's going to be there (and I don't know these kids as well as most). BAP speak aside, since I think that's much more of a factor when picking in round 1 (and the top of round 1 at that) I think they allow need to influence the pick more. And they should. Depending on who's available BAP among OLB, WR, G, RT, RB. Not exactly an earth-shattering prediction, I realize. Most likely OLB because that's what the coach has said he wants and it's the biggest hole we have that might also have the biggest dropoff a round later.

Yes, though I would have preferred Cooper if he fell. Understand I'm not one who's watched endless film on these kids.

I like that we didn't draft a bust (I'm taking that from the article I read on him breaking down film; that he's not just a physical freak who overpowered lesser college-level talents). I felt that (injury aside) Cooper was similarly bust-proof.

For all of White's upside - and going by others' opinions on him he'll be a good one - even his biggest supporters, if honest, acknowledge that while his upside might technically be a bit higher than Cooper's, his downside is dramatically lower (which is what made Cooper a better prospect; even if he's worse than White it probably won't be by a whole lot).

It's clear the team was in no hurry to re-sign Wilkerson long term. I don't know why so far. Maybe it was a "what if" in case the draft ended up as it did, where all other things being equal the no-brainer pick was Williams. And if Wilkerson was already re-signed it would be harder to justify. Then again they may still lock him up long term despite indications they won't (Maccagnan's weak endorsement of him last night, by saying something like as of now Wilkerson's a Jet).

Then pretty soon Richardson will come up. Plus Harrison, who could be close to $10M/year less expensive on a long term deal, is only on a final season RFA deal himself. There's only so much cash one can throw at a DL. If Wilkerson truly wants $15-16M per (and I don't know that he does) then Richardson will want and deserve at least the same. Are they worth it? I don't know. We had them both for the past couple of seasons and we still sucked.

Plus, as good as Wilkerson is and as much a fan of his as I am, the reality is our defense didn't take a giant step backward when he was off the field and replaced by (a then relatively underweight) Coples plus Douzable. Don't misinterpret; I do NOT want to see Wilkerson go as he has shown in the past that he absolutely can be dominant. Plenty of games, including nationally televised ones where non-regulars to calling Jets games sounded like they were about to say, "Holy crap who the hell IS this guy?"

In the end I think it came down to value we couldn't pass up on, assurance we will get a top player with our #6 overall pick, and difficulties in re-signing Mo. Pool all that together with other DL players we have and can keep now, and it adds up to we don't NEED Mo as badly as we all want him here to stay. It simply leaves more options open this way without making us worse, and bypassing the "what if" of a bust or of over-drafting an offensive lineman (who should be absolutely incredible at absolutely everything if taken that early and there apparently weren't any in this draft).

#6 in the country is for can't miss prospects that one can't find in FA for under $15M/year. Granted, it's better when that matches up perfectly with an obvious hole on the team. But once upon a time people were high-fiving our move up to #5 for a QB when we needed one so badly. Or the same when we took Gholston and badly needed an OLB in his physical mold. Now if Williams is merely good while White becomes Andre Johnson II, compounded with Marshall maybe aging faster than expected, many won't be speaking of the move so lovingly in hindsight.

In other words, let's see how this all plays out. I do like it when, staying pat at #6, we get the prospect many/most felt was the best player in the draft.

I would like to add something to this, but I really can't.  Actually, I can.  I would bet money that Williams will not be just merely good, and White will not be Andre Johnson II.  :animal0029:

I would like to add something to this, but I really can't.  Actually, I can.  I would bet money that Williams will not be just merely good, and White will not be Andre Johnson II.  :animal0029:

Yeah the Jets made that bet as well. 

Know what's worse than not filling a hole at the top of the draft? Filling it with a player who might not be all that or one who might bust outright. I will say, though, in the Jets' case they didn't need a WR this year. So even if White was a total bust of Charles Rogers proportions the team is nowhere near having to force-feed him onto the field a la Stephen Hill.

The best line from my short story was probably "let's see how this all plays out." 

The only thing that's bugging me so far is our HC's insistence that we will still be using a 3-man front come hell or high water. True or not, it isn't going to help in any trade negotiations for Wilkerson. On top of Maccagnan's own comment, where he may as well have said, "We're now actively seeking a trade offer for Mo Wilkerson, and man I hope we don't get stuck holding the hot potato [unable to trade or re-sign Mo and letting him go for nothing]."

Adding Williams to what the Jets already have takes the defense from elite to best in the NFL. Trading away Harrison or Wilkerson is stupid and eliminates whatever advantage the Jets have over most other teams.

Until the Jets get a franchise QB, they are going to win games with top defenses and mistake-free game control offense.

Archived