Rookie Minicamp

JetNation

NY Jets Helmet

Today was the first day of the New York Jets rookie minicamp. The camp is three days long and will continue on Saturday and Sunday. The media will be at the first two sessions but Sunday there is no media availability. Rookie QB Bryce Petty from Baylor spoke about what it is like trying to learn the playbook.

It’s a process. It’s one you have to take day by day. It’s a mountain that I’m ready to climb and that I’m excited to climb. Being in a spread offense where things might have been a little bit more simplistic in college and then coming here, being able to play quarterback a little bit, not that we didn’t in Baylor, you just get more on your plate here, which is what I love. It’s why you play the position.

Leonard Williams was asked what new head coach Todd Bowles told the team.

He was just saying, everybody loosen up. He said he could feel the tension in the room. He said, football is football, and at the end of the day we wouldn’t be here if we didn’t know how to play. He was saying just come, be loose, and just play the game of football.

Has Williams met any of his defensive line teammates yet?

I haven’t spoken with them that much, but (Muhammad) Wilkerson gave me a shout out on Instagram that said, “Welcome to the team.” I commented on that and was saying, “Thank you for welcoming me to the team.” That really has been the only interaction. I haven’t really been able to see anyone in person.

As far as the actual practice is concerned here is full thread with updates on . Here are some highlights:

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
tXw4PX5r-6Y

View the full article

Despite my boycott of the Jets last year, I confess I did a little peeking at times before I got totally disgusted. The little I did see, I have to admit, I don't like this Pryor at all. He will probably start just because we have nothing better, but I really cringe at the thought. Hopefully I missed his better moments, if any, and he progresses and proves me totally wrong. I did like what I saw in McD before he got hurt. And I think Amaro has some real potential. The rest of them ... thank GOD we have a new GM.

Despite my boycott of the Jets last year, I confess I did a little peeking at times before I got totally disgusted. The little I did see, I have to admit, I don't like this Pryor at all. He will probably start just because we have nothing better, but I really cringe at the thought. Hopefully I missed his better moments, if any, and he progresses and proves me totally wrong. I did like what I saw in McD before he got hurt. And I think Amaro has some real potential. The rest of them ... thank GOD we have a new GM.

You didn't...But allow him to be coached by a true NFL coaching staff..And of course, Bowles knows a thing or two about playing Safety

Mac did more with six draft picks than Idzik did with 12. Idzik really set the Jets back except for the fact he left a huge amount under the cap by not signing anyone.

Set the Jets back from what?

Idzik missed opportunities which by definition set the Jets back. The team is not as good as potentially they could've been because he blew a dozen draft picks. Even just on special teams, it was a wasted year.

Idzik missed opportunities which by definition set the Jets back. The team is not as good as potentially they could've been because he blew a dozen draft picks. Even just on special teams, it was a wasted year.

Try this hypothetical: The head coach admitted to going into the season "knowing" they had no chance to win, largely because of the players acquired. What if those players were negatively impacted by that loser head coach's submission and those rookies are better than they've shown? Rex never had a record for developing rookie talent prior to Idzik, so why are we surprised that rookies didn't develop last year?

Let's see how it plays out. What if Pryor & Amaro become legit starters and McDougle, Evans, Dozier, IK & Reily provide depth, used in packages, STs?

Try this hypothetical: The head coach admitted to going into the season "knowing" they had no chance to win, largely because of the players acquired. What if those players were negatively impacted by that loser head coach's submission and those rookies are better than they've shown? Rex never had a record for developing rookie talent prior to Idzik, so why are we surprised that rookies didn't develop last year?

Possible and does remain to be seen. However, what if Idzik had tried to turn his multiple low draft picks into 1 or 2 5th rounders and reduced his picks overall but got better talent? I am finding it hard to believe that Idzik didn't blow last year's draft. Took guys with bad medical history, passed on superior talent and didn't really give much confidence he knew what he was doing. And to be fair, he really shouldn't have been a gm anyway given his background. But, on the bright side, if he had a good draft last year we would not have a real executive this year. So, silver linings etc.

Possible and does remain to be seen. However, what if Idzik had tried to turn his multiple low draft picks into 1 or 2 5th rounders and reduced his picks overall but got better talent? I am finding it hard to believe that Idzik didn't blow last year's draft. Took guys with bad medical history, passed on superior talent and didn't really give much confidence he knew what he was doing. And to be fair, he really shouldn't have been a gm anyway given his background. But, on the bright side, if he had a good draft last year we would not have a real executive this year. So, silver linings etc.

Understandable. The Pryor selection caused me visceral pain, but I liked the Amaro pick. Jalen Saunders was a miss (obviously) but considering that he got picked up by three teams that know WRs (Seattle, Arizona, New Orleans) leads me to believe that Saunders was one of those scouting community hard-on players. I don't kill him for Martavis Bryant because he profiled like Stephen Hill. Certainly not saying it's a good job of drafting, but the book is far from closed on it.

I hate Idzik as much as the next guy but to say he blew 12 picks when its only been one year is pretty over the top.   As has been stated there could be three or four starters from that draft class in two years.  We just don't know yet.   

Now, we do on Saunders and he was terrible. 

Prior

Amaro

McDougle

Dozier

Could all become Starters.

Thats why draft classes need three years to evaluate

Points about Rex are valid. I am sure it has been talked to death during my self imposed exile, but besides the Dog Whisperer being gone the reason I am back and excited that lard ass Rex is gone. He was/is a defensive coordinator. At best. Not a HC. The first two years were great going to the final round and his non coachspeak outspoken style was fun. For awhile. I am glad Todd is here and expect the Jets to be entertaining and competitive this year. Now if we somehow find an NFL calibur QB at some point - look out.

Mac did more with six draft picks than Idzik did with 12. Idzik really set the Jets back except for the fact he left a huge amount under the cap by not signing anyone.

Well I'm glad we've already concluded how our rookies will perform in the NFL.

As far as I am concerned, Idzik was franchise changing. That negative has been turned into a positive. The Jets have real scouts and a real good FO and coching staff.

For this past draft Maccagnan used Idzik's scouts (the ones he fired shortly after the draft).  

For this past draft Maccagnan used Idzik's scouts (the ones he fired shortly after the draft).

I think that he reviwed whom they were peering into. He cut them quickly after the draft. Don't think that they were of any use to Mac.

Can any Jet fan say with all sincerity what John Idzik would have done with the Jets if he was allowed to fire Rex Ryan and hire his own HC when he became the GM ?

Ultimately, it's was his watch because he agreed to take the job even with Rex as the HC . Criticizing what transpired in the 2 yrs Idzik was the GM is the thing to do now, but the fact remains that as of today, he is responsible for more than half of the players on the current Jets roster directly. Indirectly , due to the money he didn't spend on sub par talent, the current GM was able to add the remaining talent.

Archived