Jets rookie Lorenzo Mauldin is now a strong-side linebacker. Will he challenge Calvin Pace?

LIJetsFan

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/08/jets_rookie_lorenzo_mauldin_now_a_full-time_strong.html

Lorenzo Mauldin walked into the Jets' facility on Wednesday, preparing for his first NFL training camp. It was report day at Jets camp, and Mauldin, their third-round draft pick, was about to begin his professional football career in earnest. 

Then the Jets' outside linebackers coach, Mark Collins, approached Mauldin. This wasn't unusual, since Collins is Mauldin's position coach. But what Collins told Mauldin caught him off-guard: The coaching staff, during camp, would lock in Mauldin as a strong-side linebacker.

During spring practices, Mauldin worked at both outside linebacker spots, strong side and rush linebacker. The coaches wanted to see what he did well. He played primarily defensive end at Louisville, so you'd think he'd be better suited to play rush linebacker, instead of on the strong side, which demands more coverage. 

"Yeah, I asked myself that question, too," Mauldin said of his surprised reaction to Collins' news. "My strength is to rush. Why drop back into more coverage?" 

Collins told Mauldin the coaches want to look toward the future at the strong-side linebacker position, where the starter, Calvin Pace, is about turn 35. If the Jets cut Pace after camp, it would cost them next to nothing — just $125,000 in dead money against their salary cap. 

But at this point, after five camp practices, Mauldin doesn't envision himself seriously challenging Pace for the starting job coming out of camp. 

"I wouldn't say I'm challenging him," Mauldin said. "Calvin has way more experience than I do. Of course, they'll probably want to put him out there, just to have him out there, so I can learn more." 

Mauldin expects to spell Pace during games, to give the 13th-year veteran some rest. But Mauldin isn't thinking about taking Pace's job.  

"I wouldn't want to jump in front of him," Mauldin said. "I'm still in the learning phase, so I can't just jump in front of someone that knows what to do. If I go out there and I mess up, then it's going downhill." 

Mauldin believes the Jets' coaches see him as more than just a situational pass rusher, and that's also why they assigned him to the strong-side spot. 

"That's how I took it," he said. "I don't want to be a situational [rusher], because I'm stout enough to stop the run, too, and be on the strong side of the defense." 

In order to not botch this transition to strong-side linebacker, Mauldin must learn how to play coverage. When he played as stand-up linebacker at Louisville, he said he almost always rushed, and rarely dropped into coverage. 

"I probably dropped like three or four times at Louisville," Mauldin said. "I really didn't understand [coverage] at that point."

Now, becoming a better coverage linebacker involves "understanding where my eyes need to be," he said.

For instance, if he is responsible for handling the tight end in a certain coverage, Mauldin can't let his eyes stray to other motioning players in the offensive formation. Mastering this eye discipline is Mauldin's main focus early in camp. He thinks the physical part of covering in space won't be a problem for him.  

What is one thing Todd Bowles didn't know about Cromartie?New York Jets head coach Todd Bowles talks about cornerback Antonio Cromartie and how "he talks a lot" after training camp practice. Florham Park ,NJ 8/4/15 (Video by Amanda Marzullo | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

"Back pedaling?" he said. "It comes natural. That comes with talent or whatever. But your feet have to follow your eyes. Back pedaling and sprinting and actually running to a spot, that just comes natural. I guess they want to see me move more in space [with this position assignment]. I'm fast enough to move in space."

Your feet have to follow your eyes.

This sure sounds like a parroted coaching point Mauldin has heard a few times. 

"I've heard it a couple times," Mauldin said with a smile. 

During the spring, Collins said Mauldin "doesn't concern me in space," so even then, it seemed the coaches felt OK about asking Mauldin play coverage. 

Mauldin said he's "an open book" for getting advice from Pace — something Mauldin considers a "very intriguing" experience. Pace sometimes approaches Mauldin during practice and corrects his mistakes. If Mauldin notices his own mistake, he'll ask Pace what he should've done. 

"He's very open to me," Mauldin said. "I feel like he wants to see me succeed, as an older guy, getting close to his time of getting out of the NFL." 

And so it begins for Mauldin, learning a new role during his rookie season, as the future awaits. 

"I've been getting better out here in coverage," he said. "I'm understanding the concept of the coverage aspect. [The coaches] see that I'm getting better and better at it, and it's something to look forward to." 

I don't see why this is such a surprise.  He played DE in college and primarily rushed the passer? So did everybody else.  Pace, Babin, Coples, Ik? Which one of those guys is more LB than DE?  Reilly is the only one that may seem more suited to dropping back on the team and he is no lock.

Teddy Bruschi coming out of Arizona was also a pass rusher in college & he turned into an excellent all around player doing both rushing & dropping into space.

He was also a dirty MF who liked to hit guys on the ground late.

Teddy Bruschi coming out of Arizona was also a pass rusher in college & he turned into an excellent all around player doing both rushing & dropping into space.

He was also a dirty MF who liked to hit guys on the ground late.

I will never forget when he was drafted I think he was the last pick in the 3rd round and Chris Berman said, "perfect pick as it is now time for a Brewski" lol.  Little did I know I would grow to hate Bruschi guts.   :animal0029:

I don't see why this is such a surprise.  He played DE in college and primarily rushed the passer? So did everybody else.  Pace, Babin, Coples, Ik? Which one of those guys is more LB than DE?  Reilly is the only one that may seem more suited to dropping back on the team and he is no lock.

I agree. They probably all did it in college but i dont look at Mauldin being a better rusher than an IK at this point. IF he can solidify the strong side then thats a plus for the defense.

I agree. They probably all did it in college but i dont look at Mauldin being a better rusher than an IK at this point. IF he can solidify the strong side then thats a plus for the defense.

I am starting to think that IK can be that "X factor" on defense for us this year.   With teams having to account for Snacks, Wilks, Williams and Coples, this kid could really excel.  I expect Mauldin to get more reps as the season progresses as Pace begins to wear down. 

I am starting to think that IK can be that "X factor" on defense for us this year.   With teams having to account for Snacks, Wilks, Williams and Coples, this kid could really excel.  I expect Mauldin to get more reps as the season progresses as Pace begins to wear down. 

IK is a beast man.

The player im most excited about this preseason is IK. He just pops to me. It would be lovely if he could handle that rush OLB spot and with Sheldon suspended they put Coples back on the line where he can do his thing.

I don't think Pace's job is at risk this year, but down the road...?

This is incredibly encouraging for Mauldin. It means the coaches see the potential in him and envision him as a future important part of the defense. Mauldin's sure enough got the work ethic and physical drive to take over that task. I'm really excited to see that happen.

Mauldin and IK = our future starters at OLB?

Exciting!

Go Jets!

Archived