Drew Brees and the Saints future

Morrissey

I dunno if this has been discussed, sorry if it i has but the Saints and Brees recently made some changes to his contract and from what I'm hearing and reading it makes it more likely he's traded or released after this season because of the Saints cap problems.

I dunno about you guys but I would be really really really in favor of bringing him in "to go for it" similar to what the Cardinals did with Warner and are now doing with Palmer. Obviously his shoulder is a concern, but if he's healthy having Marshall and Decker would make us an attractive destination for him.

Thoughts?

Drew  Bree's who was never blessed with the strongest arm to begin with , is having big troubles making all the throws.( his arm looks shot+ questions if his arm structural healthy)  

Older Qbs near the end of their career don't regain that arm strength , as it tends to get a lot worse.

Drew Bree's a couple years ago might have been a good option( temporary solution), but the 2016 version is probably a waste of time going after.   The Jets have to look for a better option, and not go for name recognition Qb whose well past his prime.

Nfl teams don't let the Qb of D Bree's caliber go, without reasons .    

Brees is also heavily reliant on dome football even before the more recent shoulder injury.  I think the Rams will be his preference.

I was thinking Houston.  They're projected to have $24M in cap space next season and with Foster aging and the Colts stumbling a bit, a legit QB for even 1 or 2 years would be huge. 

But if the Rams move to LA that would probably be the top option.  Rams have a ton of cap space (nearly $40M) next season as well and a lot of pieces in place.  A splashy move heading into a new stadium makes a ton of sense.

He'd never come to NYC so we can pretty much rule that out.  A northeast non-dome team?  He'd be awful up here.

Nfl teams don't let the Qb of D Bree's caliber go, without reasons .    

When said QB has an upcoming cap number of $30M and the team that owns him is projected to be $4M over the cap, that's a legitimate reason.  His shoulder is an issue but the money is the biggest issue.  Whoever gets him will have a solid QB in place for a season or 2, which is more than about half the teams in the NFL can say.

When said QB has an upcoming cap number of $30M and the team that owns him is projected to be $4M over the cap, that's a legitimate reason.  His shoulder is an issue but the money is the biggest issue.  Whoever gets him will have a solid QB in place for a season or 2, which is more than about half the teams in the NFL can say.

Yup.  Remember when San Diego thought Brees was done after his shoulder injury in '05?  There was a rumor about us trading for Brees this past offseason. I was psyched at the prospect then, and still am now.  As I said in a thread back then, with Brees at QB, Marshall and Decker each catch 100 balls.

I was thinking Houston.  They're projected to have $24M in cap space next season and with Foster aging and the Colts stumbling a bit, a legit QB for even 1 or 2 years would be huge. 

But if the Rams move to LA that would probably be the top option.  Rams have a ton of cap space (nearly $40M) next season as well and a lot of pieces in place.  A splashy move heading into a new stadium makes a ton of sense.

He'd never come to NYC so we can pretty much rule that out.  A northeast non-dome team?  He'd be awful up here.

From Brees' perspective he has way better options playing dome football in either St Louis or Houston.

That is a big difference in age when he had that shoulder surgery , and if he would have it now.( a lot harder to come back from that injury at 36, than 26).  Get ready for Chad Pennington talk - Drew Bree's arm even stronger after having that surgery, only to find out that isn't even close to the truth.

Trying to squeeze one championship run at Bree's or another past his prime Qb is most likely not going to work. ( just going to take longer the rebuilding effort when you have to rebuilt an aging roster at a lot of key positions)   Not to mention now committed to throwing  big money Brandon Marshall way.( could be cap cut after this year under normal circumstances).

The best thing for the Jets is to start the rebuild , and trying to find your own franchise Qb that can eventually lead your team to a Championship.

The signing of Drew Bree's or any other past their prime Qb isn't taken the Jets anywhere. they aren't one player away from a championship.(how much longer can you count on that offense line before it has to be totally rebuilt.( that doesn't take one offseason)

As I said earlier, you could take this thread put it back about 5 years and replace the word Brees with Manning as far as people being totally against, shot, washed up, no armed QB's.

via draft?  We have to get a very high pick to get the premium QB in drafts, will have to sell the farm to get a pick that high and the next draft is not looking great for QB's right now.

Just get another fa?  We got one of the top Qb fa's this past year and he's a marginal starter.

With the defense this team has a better vet than what we have is an okay thing to aspire to.  I'd be all in favor of brees if the contract is not totally out of sight.

That is a big difference in age when he had that shoulder surgery , and if he would have it now.( a lot harder to come back from that injury at 36, than 26).  Get ready for Chad Pennington talk - Drew Bree's arm even stronger after having that surgery, only to find out that isn't even close to the truth.

Trying to squeeze one championship run at Bree's or another past his prime Qb is most likely not going to work. ( just going to take longer the rebuilding effort when you have to rebuilt an aging roster at a lot of key positions)   Not to mention now committed to throwing  big money Brandon Marshall way.( could be cap cut after this year under normal circumstances).

The best thing for the Jets is to start the rebuild , and trying to find your own franchise Qb that can eventually lead your team to a Championship.

The signing of Drew Bree's or any other past their prime Qb isn't taken the Jets anywhere. they aren't one player away from a championship.(how much longer can you count on that offense line before it has to be totally rebuilt.( that doesn't take one offseason)

Wasn't really advocating US trading for him in my post.  Just giving the reasons why a team out there most definitely will if the Saints look to deal him.  Houston and St. Louis being the most likely destinations.

Archived