we're playin' for 2nd place :+(

kelly

-- The New York Jets have 10 games to secure a wild card. They won't win the AFC East, not as long as Tom Brady is healthy and slinging passes for the New England Patriots. Sunday was the day to make that stand, but the Jets, as usual, got their hearts crushed by the ageless Brady, whose pitch count was so high he'd be asking for extra rest if Scott Boras were his agent.

The script was oh-so familiar: The Jets played well. They showed heart. They frustrated Brady for stretches. They made the Patriots one-dimensional.

Unfortunately for the Jets, that one dimension was Brady, who threw 54 times out of 66 plays. This time, it was a 30-23 loss for the Jets, whose postgame locker room sounded like 2014. Or 2013. Or pretty much any year over the past 15."I'm [angry], because I feel like we had them," guard Willie Colon said. "I feel like we were the better team out there, but obviously we weren't."This is what happens in these "Border War" showdowns: If they're not setting records, the Patriots are turning the Jets into broken records. As Colon said, "It's tough to keep swallowing this pill." It was a maddening defeat because they blew a fourth-quarter lead, thanks to Brandon Marshall's butter-finger moment in the end zone, questionable clock management by Todd Bowles, a couple of breakdowns in pass coverage and the Hail Mary that never happened.

That's it, that's all it takes to lose to Brady -- just a few flubs.

"It's frustrating," linebacker Calvin Pace said. "It's why one day that guy will be in the Hall of Fame."

The Jets made it a 60-minute game, hanging in there on a day in which running back Chris Ivory was slowed by a cranky hamstring. Clearly not himself, Ivory was a pedestrian back, managing only 41 yards on 17 carries. Marshall was invisible for most of the day, airbrushed out of the picture by the Patriots' constant double-teaming. Still, the Jets didn't fold. If they had faced any other quarterback, the Jets probably would've won. But Brady was flawless, throwing for two touchdowns and 355 yards despite six dropped passes.Unlike their most recent trips to Foxborough, the Jets' performance wasn't a fluke. This was a good team coming up a few plays short against arguably the best quarterback in history. In past years, from 2012 to 2014, they pushed the Patriots to the limit by playing over their head. Under Rex Ryan, they usually saved their best for the Patriots, losing with dignity. But you always knew they wouldn't be able to sustain it over the season.

This time, the feeling is different. The Jets (4-2) aren't going anywhere and, unless they're decimated by injuries, the rematch (Dec. 27 at MetLife Stadium) will mean something. The divide between the two teams no longer is Grand Canyon-esque."Very little," Marshall said, responding to the proverbial "gap" question that surfaces every time these teams play.On this day, the Jets needed to be perfect. They needed Bowles to be perfect, and he wasn't. In the final 2:50 of the game, he let the Patriots run the clock, passing up two opportunities in which he should've used a defensive timeout. Earlier in the quarter, he played a soft Cover 2 defense on a third-and-17, leaving the middle open for Julian Edelman. It was Brady to Edelman for 27 yards.

"That was the backbreaker," cornerback Antonio Cromartie said.The Jets made a long field goal, recovered an onside kick (a rare play by the special teams) and got into position for a Hail Mary. It never happened because of a game-ending penalty on Marshall. Instead, the day turned into a Hail Brady."I think they respect us, I do, just like we respect them," Pace said. "That doesn't win you championships, though -- respect."

Don't they know it.

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55382/once-again-jets-are-playing-for-second-place-a-very-brady-reality

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as long as Brady is healthy we will always be playing for 2nd place.

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

From a Jets fan perspective, the most sobering comment from the locker room came from LB David Harris. The subject was Tom Brady. Harris was asked about Brady throwing 54 passes at age 38. "Age doesn’t have anything to do with it," he said. "He doesn’t take a lot of hits. It’s pretty accurate when he says he could play another 10 years. He probably could.”

>    http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/newyork-jets

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

From a Jets fan perspective, the most sobering comment from the locker room came from LB David Harris. The subject was Tom Brady. Harris was asked about Brady throwing 54 passes at age 38. "Age doesn’t have anything to do with it," he said. "He doesn’t take a lot of hits. It’s pretty accurate when he says he could play another 10 years. He probably could.”

>    http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/newyork-jets

as far as hits go, we had a few chances to crush him and we didn't.  on that long scramble Gilchrist went for his legs rather than just blast him.

Miami has me worried.  I don't know if they're in a "honeymoon" period with Campbell.  But what a difference since Philbin was axed.  Looks like a completely different team.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned.  on paper they had a team that should have been contenders BUT that team quit early in the season and when things get tough a group like that can quit again.  Let's see how they do in NE.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned.  on paper they had a team that should have been contenders BUT that team quit early in the season and when things get tough a group like that can quit again.  Let's see how they do in NE.

Yeah - also it was HOU and TENN that they beat… both teams that… kind of suck donkey balls. lol.

Miami has me worried.  I don't know if they're in a "honeymoon" period with Campbell.  But what a difference since Philbin was axed.  Looks like a completely different team.

What you say above is why we're not playing for second.  If Miami wins this week vs Pats, and Jets beat Pats at home, we're tied for first...the notion we're playing for second and need to be scared of the Pats is stupid.  is Arizona playing for second because seattle is in the division?

We had them on the ropes with Ivory limping around in the backfield...  I still think with Ivory at 100% we win yesterday by 10.  That wasnt the same guy we had vs the Skins...  Hell, if they dont convert 3rd and 17 we probably win yesterday.  We lost yesterday by inches and I see a bunch of let's play for 2nd posts...sad sacks

Yeah - also it was HOU and TENN that they beat… both teams that… kind of suck donkey balls. lol.

They beat 2 bad teams BUT it was the way they beat those teams.  They pounded them, they didn't give them any chance.  That is what good teams do.  can they keep this up? we'll see.

They beat 2 bad teams BUT it was the way they beat those teams.  They pounded them, they didn't give them any chance.  That is what good teams do.  can they keep this up? we'll see.

That's what we did to Cleveland, Skins, Colts, and Redskins...which one of those games were close?  None of them...they are hot right now heading into the Pats game...Pats will still be beat up 4 days after playing us and it also doesnt give them much time to get bodies back.  I expect Miami to give the Pats their first loss this week.

That's what we did to Cleveland, Skins, Colts, and Redskins...which one of those games were close?  None of them...they are hot right now heading into the Pats game...Pats will still be beat up 4 days after playing us and it also doesnt give them much time to get bodies back.  I expect Miami to give the Pats their first loss this week.

we did NOT do that to those teams, Cle and wash we allowed themto hang around in the 1st half and dominated in the2nd half.  Miami and Indy we dominated but midway through the 4th we were up on Indy only 10-7, midway through the 4th Miami was down 13 w/ a 1st and G at our 2.  Miami has just crushed these teams the last weeks from start to finish.

What you say above is why we're not playing for second.  If Miami wins this week vs Pats, and Jets beat Pats at home, we're tied for first...the notion we're playing for second and need to be scared of the Pats is stupid.  is Arizona playing for second because seattle is in the division?

We had them on the ropes with Ivory limping around in the backfield...  I still think with Ivory at 100% we win yesterday by 10.  That wasnt the same guy we had vs the Skins...  Hell, if they dont convert 3rd and 17 we probably win yesterday.  We lost yesterday by inches and I see a bunch of let's play for 2nd posts...sad sacks

the pats and seahawks are a little different.  the pats have dominated the AFCE for close to a decade and a half now.  the seahawks have only been good a few years.

we did NOT do that to those teams, Cle and wash we allowed themto hang around in the 1st half and dominated in the2nd half.  Miami and Indy we dominated but midway through the 4th we were up on Indy only 10-7, midway through the 4th Miami was down 13 w/ a 1st and G at our 2.  Miami has just crushed these teams the last weeks from start to finish.

You're complaining about games Jets won by more than 2 TDs.  Are you seriously talking style points?  The Jets went from down 13-10 at half vs the Skins to up 34-13 and you're pretending that isn't showing dominance...cherry picking stats to make an argument and put down the Jets doesnt impress me...

You're complaining about games Jets won by more than 2 TDs.  Are you seriously talking style points?  The Jets went from down 13-10 at half vs the Skins to up 34-13 and you're pretending that isn't showing dominance...cherry picking stats to make an argument and put down the Jets doesnt impress me...

I am not complaining but we did not win those games the way Miami won the last 2.  Miami destroyed teams from start to finish, we dominated teams but allowed them to hang around.  If you think they are similar I don't know what to tell you.

I am not complaining but we did not win those games the way Miami won the last 2.  Miami destroyed teams from start to finish, we dominated teams but allowed them to hang around.  If you think they are similar I don't know what to tell you.

Then root for Miami, chicken little.  I am sure there is room on their band wagon.

The Pats are playing lights out, and we have a rookie HC a new offense, new defense, new and rookie players and we don't have an HOF QB.  We were never in serious contention for the division.  Was I hoping for a win - Absolutely; could the Jets have beaten the Pats - Absolutely.  At the end of last season, we were a joke and nobody thought we would do anything this year; same jokes came out when IK punched out Geno.

The truth is we have a reasonable shot at the playoffs.  We have to keep getting the wins and growing as a team.  It sucks to loose to the Pats when we were so close to a win, but the Jets are still playing above expectations.  If we can get into the playoffs that would be great.  If we continue to get better, maybe we can make some noise too.  Right now, the team just needs to focus on wins; the schedule and the standings will take care of themselves.

This team is way better than most thought it would be.  Loosing to maybe the best team in football (or at least in the AFC) sucks, but it isn't the end of the world right now.  This team is going to win a bunch more games this year (assuming we don't get killed with injuries) - let's sit back and enjoy the ride.

we have double digit weeks left and Jet fans already believe that we cant win the division. I hope the Jets players dont feel the same. 

Anything can happen in a season and the jets are playing good football.  They seem prepared and they play hard.  I didn't say we couldn't win the division, I said that with the Pats playing lights out, it wasn't a reasonable expectation.  We are 4-2 and Pats are 6-0; even if we beat them next time and win ALL of our remaining games, the Pats would still need to loose at least one more to a very easy schedule.  The Pats have been playing the same system for ever and have a HOF QB.  Can we win the division this year - Absolutely, is it likely to happen or is it a reasonable expectation - I think no.

we have double digit weeks left and Jet fans already believe that we cant win the division. I hope the Jets players dont feel the same. 

I would say it has nothing to do with the possible performance of our team but rather the performance of the pats.  They are going to win 12-13 at least, a pretty tough task to catch them even this early.

Anything can happen in a season and the jets are playing good football.  They seem prepared and they play hard.  I didn't say we couldn't win the division, I said that with the Pats playing lights out, it wasn't a reasonable expectation.  We are 4-2 and Pats are 6-0; even if we beat them next time and win ALL of our remaining games, the Pats would still need to loose at least one more to a very easy schedule.  The Pats have been playing the same system for ever and have a HOF QB.  Can we win the division this year - Absolutely, is it likely to happen or is it a reasonable expectation - I think no.

I didnt mean you, I read the article and in the first sentence it states how the Jets wont win the AFC east.....WITH 10 GAMES LEFT! lol. 

The lack of faith with what we've seen from this team is just ridiculous...criticisms and all. The Jets are good enough to win 8 to 9 of the games they have left on the schedule. Winning 12 or 13 games in the season most definitely gives you the opportunity to win the division, especially with the Jets being good enough to beat the Pats. They didnt wipe the floor with us. 

People will talk about the 10 drops the Pats had yesterday...okay. I see Cumberland drop a TD as well as Marshall, so instead of having 14 points we had 6 yet lost by 7. Those two plays right there could have done just as much for us as those 10 drops would have done for the Pats. 

I just dont understand how people are just giving this division to the Patriots yet get all upset when the media does it. 

I would say it has nothing to do with the possible performance of our team but rather the performance of the pats.  They are going to win 12-13 at least, a pretty tough task to catch them even this early.

I can see the Jets winning 8 to 9 of their remaining games, which would make them a 12 win 13 win team as well. I can see the Jets splitting the Pats games and sweeping the rest of the division. 

I didnt mean you, I read the article and in the first sentence it states how the Jets wont win the AFC east.....WITH 10 GAMES LEFT! lol. 

The lack of faith with what we've seen from this team is just ridiculous...criticisms and all. The Jets are good enough to win 8 to 9 of the games they have left on the schedule. Winning 12 or 13 games in the season most definitely gives you the opportunity to win the division, especially with the Jets being good enough to beat the Pats. They didnt wipe the floor with us. 

People will talk about the 10 drops the Pats had yesterday...okay. I see Cumberland drop a TD as well as Marshall, so instead of having 14 points we had 6 yet lost by 7. Those two plays right there could have done just as much for us as those 10 drops would have done for the Pats. 

I just dont understand how people are just giving this division to the Patriots yet get all upset when the media does it. 

It is frustrating, but the media loves the Pats.  After all, if you were to only listen to the game you would think the Jets couldn't do anything right and the Pats were winning by 100.  At this point, unless the Pats fall from the sky, I think it is difficult to win the Division.  That being said, I can tell you that neither Bowels or the rest of the Jets seem willing to yield the division and that is all that matters.

Archived