Revis looked old today.

johnnyjet

I'm not trying to bash Revis, who has been very good over the course of the season, but I can't ignore what I saw. Revis played Cooper soft and Cooper was commanding his routes. Revis was curtailing YAC, but that's not what elite CB's are about. No his best game. Carr pretty much had his way with the Jets' secondary in all regards, including Revis.

Revis was not revis on Sunday and it wasn't about Cooper who is really good.  Revis looked slow out there and has for weeks.  I mentioned this multiple times but I really believe he is banged up.  he does not look like himself.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revis was not revis on Sunday and it wasn't about Cooper who is really good.  Revis looked slow out there and has for weeks.  I mentioned this multiple times but I really believe he is banged up.  he does not look like himself.

Yup. That was my impression as well. Great young receiver, Revis not at his best (perhaps injury related). Nothing more to say. Hope he gets back to usual elite form. I find it interesting that some posters here simply can't allow the possibility of Revis having a bad game. What's that about? He was certainly not alone.

He looked competent to you? I can honestly say I've never seen a WR make Revis look like that, multiple times. They just didn't have to throw the ball to him throughout the game because it was a blowout. 

And with your 'drops' point, you don't believe that if he caught them, Revis allowing 7-9 catches is bad? I love Revis, but he clearly did not have his best game, and certainly didn't shut him down. As I said before, they just didn't have to throw him the ball. 

Yes, he looked competent.  He gave up 4 catches, what someone could have caught, you have no clue what they would have caught if the pass wasnt' uncatchable.  Just as you have no idea how many of those uncatchable passes were thrown his direction In the past.  Jeez, if I was a QB and throwing towards him I'd have a hard time being accurate out of fear of an INT. 

point is he's still a damn good CB.  And people will unfairly compare him to the Revis of 5 years ago and that's unfair and doesn't mean hes still not a top cb

Yes, he looked competent.  He gave up 4 catches, what someone could have caught, you have no clue what they would have caught if the pass wasnt' uncatchable.  Just as you have no idea how many of those uncatchable passes were thrown his direction In the past.  Jeez, if I was a QB and throwing towards him I'd have a hard time being accurate out of fear of an INT. 

point is he's still a damn good CB.  And people will unfairly compare him to the Revis of 5 years ago and that's unfair and doesn't mean hes still not a top cb

To your last sentence, I agree, and I never said he wasn't still a top corner. We all saw him last year in New England and thought to ourselves/said out loud that he's not the same guy he was when he was with us. Well, it's still true, he's not the same guy. Top 5, no doubt, but it's these young fast receivers, Cooper, Beckham, Hopkins, that he will not be able to shut down like the old Revis. Yes, he gave up 5 catches, one was lucky-so 4-, but my point to all of this is that he did not affect Cooper's game at all. He was there to shadow and tackle him after the fact. Cooper may have had under 50 yards, but to Jetdawgg's point before that "it was Cooper's worst performance ever", and that he was "shut down", is simply not true. He's had 4 games where he finished between 46-49 yards, and Revis had nothing to do with his two drops.

I probably should have found a word that fits better between silly and competent, as he was neither, but he sure as hell didn't play good, by a top 5 CB standard-or 15 IMO. If someone wants to claim a receiver got shut down, show me evidence of Revis even being there to make a play, at least one. Maybe he would have had he been targeted more, but they didn't have to, and Revis didn't do anything when they did. 

I was comparing him to a week ago.

Wait, what? This sounds like Bilbo Baggins' birthday speech. So, if I thought he was playing as well as he did 4 or 5 years ago I would be playing with half a deck, but if I thought he had declined and wasn't playing at his old level I would be wrong because Revis plays at a higher level than anybody else on the defense, which would mean the whole defense declined to an even lower level. Okay, I'm happy now. It's all good.

Reading this makes my hair hurt.  You win, I'm done.  

All respect to Mr Carter, he should stick to judging what happened on the field, not what he thought might happen.  Theres no proof anything he predicts would have happened.  Loving Cooper and saying he would have had more yardage as a way of complimenting Cooper wasnt meant to criticize Revis' play

Here's the big time problem that people who have unrealistic standards for Revis will have.  He's still great, still shuts down other teams top corners but instead of finishing the game with 35 yards they come away with 45.  A guy like Sherman always gives up 55.  And then people make comments like hes looking old.  They're so spoiled by Revis of the past they make over the top critics of him because, god forgive, someone scored a TD on him from the 5.  Can't be, he's old. 

Then again on this very board there was a thread that discussing the poor play, the missed tackles, poor angles and even the poor positioning etc of Pryor.  In a preseason game he didnt play in

THIS

Shutting down a WR is what Josh Norman did to TY Hilton, 1 catch for 13 yds. 

Or what everyday cbs do from time to time.

Difference is that Revis does what he does every week.  

And on the week he gives up 45 yards SOJFs cry he's looking old.  Thats a huge difference

Or what everyday cbs do from time to time.

Difference is that Revis does what he does every week.  

And on the week he gives up 45 yards SOJFs cry he's looking old.  Thats a huge difference

I love Revis, I supported him when he left and I think he is the best player we have EVER had but he has not looked like himself in recent weeks.

Problem is fans who write this actually believe a CB, any CB can go a whole season and never get beat.  Seriously, he gave up two TDs?  

And the best line of shlt three or four fans have posted.  He was burned by Cooper.  LOL, again, 40 something yards to one of the top WRs in the league, no TDs while Carr threw for 330 yards.  

Burned

All day.  

people have high expectations of revis because of what he was able to do in 09/10 - but he's still elite.  It's like ....

Dave Stieb was a great pitcher, most of the time the other team had trouble hitting him.  But he only threw a no hitter once. I'd still take him against anyone. Lol and revis is better than Stieb!!! A lot better. Lol.

people have high expectations of revis because of what he was able to do in 09/10 - but he's still elite.  It's like ....

Dave Stieb was a great pitcher, most of the time the other team had trouble hitting him.  But he only threw a no hitter once. I'd still take him against anyone. Lol and revis is better than Stieb!!! A lot better. Lol.

Funny, I was thinking Dwight Gooden.  Poor guy had the misfortune of having one of baseballs all time great seasons in his 2nd year of pro ball.  Would always have to measure up to himself. 

Archived