Free agent LB targets

Jetster

Might be a little to early for this but I was thinking about free agency in 2016 and which players might not be able to be signed by their present  teams. Jets will not be huge players in free agency unless they feel they can maybe REPLACE Brick with a much younger LT that shakes loose such as a Russell Okung or a Terrance Williams for the same salary they're paying Dbrick.

There are 2 players that their current teams might have a problem resigning. Bruce Irvin & Tamba Hali. Justin Houston is playing under the franchise tag this year. Seahawks will have a difficult time resigning Irvin, they've doled out HUGE CONTRACTS to Wilson, Sherman, Wagner, Thomas, Okung is a free agent, Cam Chancellor wants to get paid, (Hawks have issues coming up).

Both Irvin & Hali are exactly what this defense has been missing...speed on the edge. Irvin would put this D over the top, I've seen this guy rush from the edge with speed & power and I've seen him covering RBs out of the backfield and TEs 30 yards down the field, the dude is freaky athletic & I know he was on the Jets radar in the 2012 draft (Seahawks shocked us by taking him & we got STUCK taking Quinton Coples) the next pick. I'd put $1000 on it that the Jets were getting ready to take Irvin before his name was called, would have loved to hear the groans in the Jets war room that day. But, this offseason we might get a chance to right that wrong. Bruce Irvin, a couple of low level free agent depth with Special teams skills, another draft & some UDFA signings and the Jets would be sitting pretty.

Personally, I'd like to see what Mauldin and Reilly bring these last few games and go from there. Speed on the edge is great, but the Jets need a linebacker that can cover running backs out of the backfield more than they need a speed edge rusher, because Mauldin might be the guy for that. I like what I've seen out of Lattimore and Henderson as well.

Pipe dream would be to be able to draft Jaylon Smith, but he'll be long gone by the time the Jets draft. I think speed rusher may come via the draft rather than free agency. A lot of this will depend on how the Jets handle Mo Wilk, Ivory, Fitz, etc. Lots to be decided before then.

Personally, I'd like to see what Mauldin and Reilly bring these last few games and go from there. Speed on the edge is great, but the Jets need a linebacker that can cover running backs out of the backfield more than they need a speed edge rusher, because Mauldin might be the guy for that. I like what I've seen out of Lattimore and Henderson as well.

Pipe dream would be to be able to draft Jaylon Smith, but he'll be long gone by the time the Jets draft. I think speed rusher may come via the draft rather than free agency. A lot of this will depend on how the Jets handle Mo Wilk, Ivory, Fitz, etc. Lots to be decided before then.

You can still find somewhere to play these guys, Irvin would replace Pace 100%. Once Mo is signed (our biggest FA) Mac can work spreading out these contracts to make everything work. I'd like to see the LBs in a big nickel be Mauldin & Irvin, Jets really have great depth at safety with everyone healthy.

The interesting thing will be to see how the Jets fill their needs pre-draft.  They have no RBs under contract and they will have to consider what to do with Wilkerson and where they intend to save money (Cro? Brick? Mangold? Giacomini?).  I assume they will make some moves to fill holes and that will determine what we (as fans) want.  I usually say that free agency is for need and the draft is for want.

I prefer drafting a linebacker from East Carolina in the later rounds.

Montese Overton, LB, East Carolina
Particulars: 6-3, 221, senior
Skinny: Overton grew up about 20 minutes from ECU's campus in Greenville, N.C. -- well, about 20 minutes given the way he runs. Despite his size, he has been clocked in the low 4.3s in the 40. He also possesses a 36.5-inch vertical jump and good strength (a bench press of 345 pounds, a squat of 490 pounds and a 323-pound power clean). 

Archived