OFF - Season PLAN ~ ~ ~

kelly

You're going to hear a lot about these two players in connection with theNew York Jets over the next few months -- Paxton Lynch and Carson Wentz.

They both play quarterback and they're both projected as first-round picks, and we all know there's a pre-draft obsession when it comes to the Jets and potential franchise quarterbacks. Last year's buzz focused onMarcus Mariota. This year it'll be about Lynch and Wentz because, if the early prognostications are correct, one or both could be available when the Jets pick at No. 20.We all know things could change over the next few months -- good quarterbacks shoot up draft boards -- but, for now, they're worth discussing because they fit the profile of what the Jets need. They don't need a plug-and-play quarterback because they have 33-year-old Ryan Fitzpatrick, assuming he re-signs, but they could be in the market for a long-term answer. They haven't given up on Bryce Petty, but Lynch and Wentz have the kind of raw talent that warrants consideration.

The postseason evaluation process already is underway. Wentz will be under the microscope this week at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., starting Tuesday with the first practice. This is a huge opportunity for Wentz, who played at tiny North Dakota State and needs to convince pro scouts he can succeed against big-time competition.Wentz, listed at 6-foot-6, already is drawing plenty of attention from scouts and draft experts. He's ranked 18th on Mel Kiper Jr.'s Big Board.Cal's Jared Goff (6-foot-4), widely regarded as the top quarterbacks prospect, is fifth on Mel's BB. Memphis' Lynch (6-foot-7) is 19th.

It's too early to predict what will happen on draft day, but what if Wentz and/or Lynch slips to the Jets? Would they take the quarterback plunge?"I would say simply, quarterback is like a lot of positions in the draft," general manager Mike Maccagnan said after the season. "We’re going to kind of evaluate it as a whole, and once we sort of establish our board we’ll make that determination if the best player available at our pick is a quarterback or another position and go from there."I think every NFL team probably goes into the draft, with maybe a few exceptions of people who have really well-established quarterbacks, looking at that position as a position of interest," he added. "We’ll be no different than them. I don’t want to sit there and say, with the 20th pick were going to be targeting a quarterback. Two things: one is you don’t want to tell the 31 other teams what you’re going to do, but I also think that’s kind of a flawed approach to a certain degree."

Translation: Don't bet against it at this point.

Yes, the Jets have other needs, but Maccagnan, in a recent interview, referred to a conversation with Hall-of-Fame GM Ron Wolf when he interviewed for the Jets' job last year. Wolf, consulting for the Jets during their GM search, told Maccagnan his philosophy was to draft a quarterback every year, if possible, because it's the most important position.

We'll have three months to debate the topic. Consider this an early look-in.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58136/it-wouldnt-be-a-jets-offseason-without-some-juicy-quarterback-speculation

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And so the NFL's pre-draft-industrial complex is doing its thing.

As with the scouting combine that takes place next month in Indianapolis, the meetings teams have with players can go a long way toward the overall evaluations that eventually get made.Keep in mind: Every prospect in all likelihood will meet with every NFL team at the Senior Bowl. But this is being written in the spirit of understanding that many fans love to see it confirmed that Their Team is meeting with This Guy.

Now, the: A list of players known to have met with—or who will meet with—the Jets this week :

Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky
Carl Nassib, DE, Penn State
Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
Tavon Young, CB, Temple

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/01/what_players_did_jets_meet_with_at_2016_senior_bow.html#incart_river_index

— Inside linebacker Demario Davis has likely played his last game for the Jets.

On Wednesday night at the Senior Bowl, the Jets and a representative for Erin Henderson began in-person talks toward a new contract. Though there are issues to be worked out, both sides are optimistic a deal will get done before Henderson can hit free agency in March.But another part of the Jets' plan at inside linebacker is to let Davis test the market as an unrestricted free agent, a person with knowledge of the situation told NJ Advance Media. That person spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Davis is a three-year starter who was drafted in the 2012 third round. But he often had difficulty in coverage—especially against running backs—and by the last six games of the 2015 season, he was being platooned with Henderson on every defensive series.

In the season finale at the Bills, Henderson played 45 snaps to just 16 for Davis.Davis in 2015 ranked second on the Jets with 89 tackles. He also had two sacks. He had started all 16 games for the Jets in each of the last three seasons.

>   http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/01/demario_davis_unlikely_to_return_with_jets_working.html

You're going to hear a lot about these two players in connection with theNew York Jets over the next few months -- Paxton Lynch and Carson Wentz.

They both play quarterback and they're both projected as first-round picks, and we all know there's a pre-draft obsession when it comes to the Jets and potential franchise quarterbacks. Last year's buzz focused onMarcus Mariota. This year it'll be about Lynch and Wentz because, if the early prognostications are correct, one or both could be available when the Jets pick at No. 20.We all know things could change over the next few months -- good quarterbacks shoot up draft boards -- but, for now, they're worth discussing because they fit the profile of what the Jets need. They don't need a plug-and-play quarterback because they have 33-year-old Ryan Fitzpatrick, assuming he re-signs, but they could be in the market for a long-term answer. They haven't given up on Bryce Petty, but Lynch and Wentz have the kind of raw talent that warrants consideration.

The postseason evaluation process already is underway. Wentz will be under the microscope this week at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., starting Tuesday with the first practice. This is a huge opportunity for Wentz, who played at tiny North Dakota State and needs to convince pro scouts he can succeed against big-time competition.Wentz, listed at 6-foot-6, already is drawing plenty of attention from scouts and draft experts. He's ranked 18th on Mel Kiper Jr.'s Big Board.Cal's Jared Goff (6-foot-4), widely regarded as the top quarterbacks prospect, is fifth on Mel's BB. Memphis' Lynch (6-foot-7) is 19th.

It's too early to predict what will happen on draft day, but what if Wentz and/or Lynch slips to the Jets? Would they take the quarterback plunge?"I would say simply, quarterback is like a lot of positions in the draft," general manager Mike Maccagnan said after the season. "We’re going to kind of evaluate it as a whole, and once we sort of establish our board we’ll make that determination if the best player available at our pick is a quarterback or another position and go from there."I think every NFL team probably goes into the draft, with maybe a few exceptions of people who have really well-established quarterbacks, looking at that position as a position of interest," he added. "We’ll be no different than them. I don’t want to sit there and say, with the 20th pick were going to be targeting a quarterback. Two things: one is you don’t want to tell the 31 other teams what you’re going to do, but I also think that’s kind of a flawed approach to a certain degree."

Translation: Don't bet against it at this point.

Yes, the Jets have other needs, but Maccagnan, in a recent interview, referred to a conversation with Hall-of-Fame GM Ron Wolf when he interviewed for the Jets' job last year. Wolf, consulting for the Jets during their GM search, told Maccagnan his philosophy was to draft a quarterback every year, if possible, because it's the most important position.

We'll have three months to debate the topic. Consider this an early look-in.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58136/it-wouldnt-be-a-jets-offseason-without-some-juicy-quarterback-speculation

This article is outdated badly, Wentz will be long gone, and Lynch will be 3rd round project. 

–- Jets owner Woody Johnson believes Geno Smith has the tools.

But can Smith still be a franchise quarterback ?

“I mean, that’s up to the eye of the beholder,” Johnson said at an appearance at Jets House in the city. “But he has all the skills. It is a question of what his desire is. And from what the coaches told me and from what I have seen myself, I think he has matured a lot. And he is working on his game and he knows he’s a professional and he has the ability if he sticks with it.”

Smith entered camp as the starter but suffered a broken jaw when he was punched by former teammate IK Enemkpali in the locker room early in training camp.“I kind of agreed with everything that has been said by the coach (Todd Bowles),” Johnson said when asked about the altercation. “It is one of the things that you never want to have, that kind of violence in a locker room. I think we dealt with it. Todd’s instincts were correct. He got rid of the player immediately and addressed that.”

Ryan Fitzpatrick became the starter and led the Jets to a 10-6 season, and the team would like to bring him back on a new deal.Smith played in one game this season, spelling Fitzpatrick after the starter got injured in Oakland. Smith went 27-for-42 for 265 yards and two touchdowns while throwing one interception in a 34-20 loss to the Raiders.

“Geno, I think, had a pretty good year,” Johnson said. “We will see in the summer how he (does) but I think the coaches are pretty optimistic about what he has learned and maturity. We know he can throw a ball. I think he has taken it to a new level and we will see how it plays out.”

rest of above article : 

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58202/woody-johnson-geno-smith-has-all-the-skills-but-it-is-a-question-of-what-his-desire-is

`Thoughts, observations and notes on the New York Jets :

1. Money man: When a team wants to restructure a contract to create salary-cap room, the top candidate usually is the player with the biggest cap charge. For instance: Miami Dolphins vice president Mike Tannenbaum mentioned last week he might restructure Ndamukong Suh ($28.6 million cap number). For the Jets, the top man on the totem pole is Darrelle Revis ($17 million), who, like Suh, signed a mega free-agent deal last offseason.I believe Revis is amenable to re-working his contract, which has four years and $54 million remaining (including $23 million fully guaranteed). There's no downside for Revis -- he gets his money, no matter what -- but it would be a double-edged sword for the Jets. They could save a ton of cap room in 2016, allowing them to re-sign their key free agents and be active in the free-agent market. They'd be all-in for '16. The negative is they'd be pushing money into the back end of his deal.

Let's say they converted $16 million of his $17 million base salary into a signing bonus. Revis' 2016 cap charge would be lowered to $5 million, saving $12 million. That's big. The downside is the bonus would be pro-rated over the final four years, increasing his cap charge by $4 million in each year. His number in 2017 would balloon to $19.3 million. It might not be the smartest strategy, considering his age (31 next season). Right now, they have the ability to walk away in 2018 without a cap hit. That changes if they restructure.The Jets can explore other avenues before approaching Revis, money-saving methods with no strings attached. They can save $8 million by releasingAntonio Cromartie, and they probably will ask D'Brickashaw Ferguson ($14.1 million) to take a pay cut. The biggest money saver would be a tag-and-trade with Muhammad Wilkerson, but you'd also be giving up your top defensive player.

The Revis scenario is intriguing, though. They'd get fast cash, but the credit-card bill wouldn't be pretty. A lot of us can relate to that.

2. Future Jets? There's a pretty good chance at least a couple of players from Saturday's Senior Bowl will wind up in a Jets uniform. General manager Mike Maccagnan likes drafting Senior Bowl alums, as we learned from last year's draft. Three of the the Jets' six picks played in the game -- wide receiver Devin Smith, linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin and quarterback Bryce Petty. Undrafted linebacker Deion Barnes, who is still on the Jets' roster, also played. This doesn't mean Maccagnan is wary of drafting underclassmen. See: First-round pick Leonard Williams, a 20-year-old junior when he was selected.

rest of above article  : 

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58188/re-working-darrelle-revis-deal-could-solve-jets-cap-woes-but-its-risky

With an uncertain depth chart, the New York Jets could be in the market for a quarterback this offseason. A pretty big name will become after March 9, the start of the league year: Johnny Manziel.

Could they ? Would they ? Should they ?

Here's my take : They should consider Manziel if ...

A.) Ryan Fitzpatrick leaves via free agency and they can't sign one of the following free agents :

Kirk CousinsSam BradfordBrock OsweilerChad HenneChase DanielMatt HasselbeckDrew StantonMatt MooreMatt CasselMatt SchaubCharlie WhitehurstBruce GradkowskiKellen Clemens,Tarvaris JacksonColt McCoyScott TolzienJimmy ClausenDan OrlovskyLuke McCownMichael VickMatt FlynnJoe Webb,Thaddeus LewisJosh JohnsonT.J. Yates and Brandon Weeden.

B.) And also strike out with ...

Tim Tebow, Matt Simms, Greg McElroy, Brady Quinn, David Garrard, Mark Brunell and Chad Pennington.

Get the picture ?

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58259/should-jets-take-a-look-at-johnny-manziel-only-if

New York Jets guard Willie Colon will be a good analyst when his playing days are over (which could be very soon) because he offers unvarnished opinions and insightful observations. Making the rounds on radio row at Super Bowl 50, Colon gave his take on what the Jets have to do to become a championship-caliber team.

Basically, he said they'll make Super Bowl LI if they create more balance on offense, even if it means less Brandon Marshall.

"We have to take the leap where it's not all about Brandon, putting so much weight on Brandon," Colon said Wednesday to Bob Papa and Shannon Sharpe on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "I know he may want it all on him, but I think we have more weapons to offer. I think if we get the tight ends involved and guys likeJeremy Kerley to The Show, we'll have more of a complete offense."We didn't do well on third-and-short, which hurt us," he continued. "We have to have more of a consistent running game so Fitz (Ryan Fitzpatrick) doesn't have to make those Tom Brady-esque throws. [We need] more of a complete offense, like you see what Cam [Newton] is doing right now. If we're able to do that, we'll be at The Show next year."

Interesting comments by Colon.

I agree, they need to be more consistent in the running game. As for his comment about Marshall, I think what he meant is they need to develop a No. 3 option in the passing game. Marshall and Eric Decker were targeted on 50 percent of the team's pass attempts, and there was a huge dropoff after them. This was an ongoing issue throughout the season. Running back Bilal Powellhelped out when he was healthy, but what they need is a downfield threat -- a vertical at wide receiver (Devin Smith?) or a tight end who can penetrate a deep seam (Jace Amaro?).No one really stepped into the No. 3 role last season, which explains why Fitzpatrick was force-feeding Marshall and Decker. If you ask Marshall, I'm sure he was quite pleased with the ball distribution.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58287/willie-colon-says-jets-need-more-balance-less-brandon-marshall-in-2016

New York Jets coach Todd Bowles said at the end of the season that he wants to improve the team's speed. The Jets did that on Wednesday, signing formerPittsburgh Steelers kick returner Dri Archer to a reserve-future contract.Archer is best known for running the 40-yard dash in 4.26 seconds at the 2014 scouting combine, the second-fastest time in combine history. It raised his draft stock to the point where he was selected in the third round by the Steelers.

His production hasn't matched his speed, as the 5-foot-8 Archer has a career kickoff-return average of only 22.4 yards. As an offensive player, he has just 10 rushes for 40 yards and only seven receptions. The Steelers are a patient organization, but they gave up on him after less than two seasons, releasing him last Nov. 5.The Jets, who considered signing Archer late last season, have an obvious need for a kickoff returner.

>         http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58284/jets-sign-former-steelers-kr-dri-archer-who-runs-very-fast

The New York Jets signed two players to future-reserve contracts on Friday -- former CFL pass-rusher Freddie Bishop and former Tampa Bay Buccaneers kicker Kyle Brindza, according to sources.

Bishop, who recorded 11 sacks last season for Calgary, signed a two-year deal, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported. Bishop (6-foot-3, 255 pounds) was undrafted out of Western Michigan in 2013. He was released last season by the Detroit Lions.Seven teams showed interest in Bishop, who projects as an outside linebacker in the Jets' scheme.

The Jets signed Brindza to create flexibility at kicker. Randy Bullock, who replaced the injured Nick Folk at midseason, is a pending free agent. Folk is under contract, but he has the eighth-highest cap figure for kickers ($3.3 million) and could be released.Brindza made six of 12 field goal attempts last season for the Bucs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58333/jets-sign-freddie-bishop-kyle-brindza-to-future-reserve-contracts

@domcosentino Cap seems tight now, but if cap rises by ~$10MM for next year, how do you think that impacts how Jets look at in-house FA's ?

If the cap rises 10 million (to approximately $153 million), that would give the Jets roughly $20 in cap room. Wilkerson's franchise tag ought to eat up $12 million to $16 million of that. But cuts to Cromartie, Kerley, and Cumberland could free up another $11.2 million more. And contracts can always be structured in ways to spread out the cap hits.

I still think Wilkerson and Fitzpatrick stay, and we know they're talking to Henderson already. But it might be tough to work things out with Harrison and Ivory. The giant  wild card  will be if they can work out a trade for Wilkerson, because that could free up a lot more money.

reat of above article : 

>  http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/02/how_has_contract_market_for_jets_muhammad_wilkerso.html#incart_river_index

The most intriguing addition to the New York Jets in this just-getting-started offseason is former CFL pass rusher Freddie Bishop, who reportedly agreed to a two-year contract last week.

Bishop is a 6-foot-3, 255-pound outside linebacker, just what the Jets need. He recorded 11 sacks last season for the Calgary Stampeders.Naturally, every team is looking for the next Cameron Wake, a former CFL pass rusher who hit it big with the Miami Dolphins, but it's important to manage expectations. Bishop was undrafted out of Western Michigan in 2013 and didn't make it as a rookie free agent with the Detroit Lions.To his credit, Bishop gained experience and built his résumé in Canada. But that doesn't make him a sure thing. Check the CFL's recent history:

Outside linebacker Cordarro Law landed a contract with the San Diego Chargers after a 14-sack season for Calgary, but he's had only one sack in two NFL seasons. There's also the story of Shawn Lemon, a 13-sack player for Calgary who washed out last year with the San Francisco 49ers and Pittsburgh Steelers. Now he's back in the CFL.Bishop is excited about his shot with the Jets, telling the Calgary Herald the team plans to use him as a 4-3 defensive end or a 3-4 outside linebacker.

"I had a great visit,” Bishop told the newspaper. “I went there and talked to the GM and everything was just lining up and it seemed like a good fit, so that’s where I ended up setting my feet.”Bishop worked out for seven NFL teams, so he was a man in demand.

"To be completely honest with you, I haven’t even got that far like where I see myself or ‘I want to beat out this guy or beat out that guy,’” he said. “My mindset right now is just go in there and grind. It’s something I’ve been doing all my life, every team I’ve been on. You show yourself, you prove yourself, and your spot will emerge.”Obviously, the Jets are hurting at outside linebacker. Calvin Pace, 35, is a free agent and not likely to return, meaning the top returnee is Lorenzo Mauldin, who was used as a situational pass rusher in his rookie season.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58364/jets-hope-to-strike-pass-rushing-gold-north-of-border-with-ex-cfl-standout

1 hour ago, kelly said:

Top 3 WRs in NFL Draft

Bucky Brooks and Daniel Jeremiah Rank the Collegiate Wideouts in the 2016 Draft

video..

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Top-3-WRs-in-NFL-Draft/4878441c-494d-4410-9c25-418c3ffdcd04

LOL, Corey Coleman over Laquon Treadwell.  Hopefully, the 19 GM's prior to Mac think the same thing.  I didn't really think Treadwell was a possibility at 20, still don't, but if he is, Welcome to NY Laquon.

That being said, Tyler Boyd at 20 suits me just fine.  

4 hours ago, kelly said:

Benoit: Jets Don't Have a Lot of Holes

MMQB NFL Analyst Believes New York's AFC Representative Has One of the Most Solid Rosters in Football

video..

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Benoit-Jets-Dont-Have-a-Lot-of-Holes/a8bfff89-873e-4de3-8795-3cce87925747

He comes across sounding like he has a reasonable understanding of the game ... But I don't know how can't see LB both inside & outside as needs

Looking for the next Von Miller (good luck): Edge-rushing options for Jets

One of the New York Jets' biggest needs this offseason is a 3-4 outside linebacker -- specifically, an edge rusher who can complement their strong interior players. They can try to find that guy in free agency and/or the draft with the 20th pick.

A look at some of the prominent options  :

FREE AGENCY

Von Miller, Denver Broncos -- Dream on. If he gets the non-exclusive franchise tag (likely), the Broncos would be entitled to two first-round picks as compensation if they declined to match an offer sheet.

Bruce Irvin, Seattle Seahawks -- The Jets loved him in the 2012 draft, but that was a previous administration. Because of the short supply of pass-rushers, Irvin could command as much as $10 million a year. He had 5.5 sacks in 2015, but a closer look reveals he was used in coverage on 30 percent of his passing downs last season, according to Pro Football Focus. His sack numbers would rise in a different system.

Olivier Vernon, Miami Dolphins -- Vernon, still only 25, will make a killing if he hits the open market. He's an ascending player, with 25.5 sacks over the last three seasons. He played in a three-point stance in Miami, but he probably could transition to a stand-up player. He'll probably be too rich for the Jets' blood.

Courtney Upshaw, Baltimore Ravens -- He's more of an edge-setting run stopper than a pass rusher. He's had only five sacks in four seasons.

Tamba Hali, Kansas City Chiefs -- At 32, he's a hold-the-fort player at this stage of his career but could mentor a young pass rusher. Hali has gone seven straight season with at least six sacks and played close to 800 snaps last season, showing his durability.

DRAFT

Noah Spence, Eastern Kentucky -- Because of his checkered background (tossed by Ohio State after flunking multiple drug tests), Spence would be a risky pick for the Jets at No. 20. His talent is unquestioned, as he produced 13.5 sacks last season and impressed at the Senior Bowl.

Shaq Lawson, Clemson -- He played defensive end in college, but some feel he's not too big (6-foot-3, 270 pounds) to stand up in a 3-4. He had 12.5 sacks in his first season as a full-time starter.

Leonard Floyd, Georgia -- At 6-4, 231 pounds, Floyd needs to bulk up to be an every-down defender in a 3-4. He's a natural pass rusher with 17 sacks over three seasons.

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58423/looking-for-the-next-von-miller-good-luck-edge-rushing-options-for-jets

From 4-12 to 10-6, No Playoffs Means...What  ?

What's Ahead Next Year After a 6-Win Improvement over the Previous Season? It's a 50-50 Proposition

Now that our national Super Bowl fortnight holiday is over, 32 teams can turn to 2016. And for the Jets, it's a natural question to ask: What can the team and its fans expect ?

"We made some strides. We didn't make enough strides," head coach Todd Bowles said after the end of the Green & White season. "From where we came from, we got better. We have a long way to go. It should sting. It should help propel us into next year."All that makes perfect sense. You'd think it's a slam-dunk that any team that went from 4-12 to 10-6 yet still didn't make the playoffs would have all the propellant it needs to take the next step.

A former exec, @PatKirwanCBS knows what it takes to build a team.

And he likes what he sees so far at 1 Jets Dr.

But what does history have to say about teams in the Jets' situation ?

Actually, what it says might surprise you.We went back to the 1990 season to see what the track record was for teams that improved by 6-plus wins from Year 1 to Year 2 and what that meant for Year 3. The short answer is: flip a coin.

Thirty-eight teams have made the victory improvement. Only 14 of the 38 then went on to make the playoffs the next season. The composite "Year 3" record for those 38 teams, counterintuitively, is 303 wins, 305 losses.What about the nine of those 38 teams that didn't make the playoffs in Year 2. Were they hungrier?Yes and no. Four of the nine went on to break into the postseason. But the nine teams' combined record was even worse than the general six-plus population: 65 wins, 79 losses.

The Jets have done it both ways. From 1-15 in '96 to 9-7 and out in '97 to 12-4 and on to the AFC Championship Game in 1998. But also from 4-12 in '05 to 10-6 and the playoffs in '06 to 4-12 in '07.For every team like Carolina, which went from 1-15 in '01 to 7-9 in '02 to a Super Bowl berth after the '03 season, there are more than one like Cleveland, which from '06-08 traveled from 4-12 to 10-6 and no postseason to 4-12.

How to explain? Brandon Marshall took a stab at it after the loss to the Bills. Again with a short answer: That's football.

"It's always that surprise team that makes the jump to good, and then there's the teams that make the jump to better that are also a surprise," said Marshall. "You've just got to take it one game at a time, one year at a time. That's why each game is so critical, why it's so important to prepare like it's your last. You just never know."

"Obviously," Bowles said, "our goal is to get into playoffs and win the Super Bowl so we didn’t get that accomplished. But we have a lot of things to grow off of and learn from and we’ll go from there."The message here is that history is no help. "Propulsion" last-game victories and "propulsion" 10-6 seasons don't really amount to much without the addition of growing and learning and working. There are no guarantees for the Jets, except for us to guarantee fans that the growing and learning for 2016 have already begun.

>  http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/From-4-12-to-10-6-No-Playoffs-MeansWhat/ace42284-6f3f-44fe-bacc-0e33af10d5e5

On Friday morning, Bears running back Matt Forte tweeted that he's about to become former Bears running back Matt Forte. 

To nobody's surprise, the Bears have told Forte that they won't re-sign him this offseason. He will now become a free agent in March, as scheduled. Which is what everybody expected to happen all along.

Should the Jets be interested in Forte, who is entering Year 9 in the NFL ? 

Well, Forte is 30 and has a lot of mileage on his body — 2,077 career carries, all with the Bears, including the regular season and playoffs.And he hasn't done a lot on the ground over the past two seasons. In 2014, he ran for 1,038 yards and six touchdowns, but gained just 3.9 yards per carry. In 2015, he accumulated 898 yards and four touchdowns, but managed just 4 yards per carry. But in 2014, Forte did have 102 catches for 808 receiving yards. 

Pro Football Focus rated Forte the fourth-best free agent running back available this year. (The Jets' Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell are Nos. 3 and 6 on that list.) Over the past two seasons, PFF rated Forte 40th and 19th at his position. Clearly, he is no longer an elite running back. (Remember, too, that a prominent member of the Jets' front office used to work for the Bears. Rex Hogan is the Jets' senior director of college scouting. He was previously a Bears scout for 12 years.) 

Presuming the Jets lose Ivory in free agency, but are able to re-sign Powell, would they pursue Forte for a short-term, relatively low-value contract? Forte isn't getting any younger — or more productive, it seems — so it would be a risk, even if the Jets don't pay him a lot of money (and they wouldn't). The Jets have been projected, by some mock drafts, to select Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott 20th overall this spring. Elliott is considered the best running back available this year, so he might not fall to No. 20. From 2010-13, Forte was a very productive player. He made two Pro Bowls and racked up these yardage totals — 1,069, 997, 1,094, and 1,339. During those four seasons combined, he gained 4.6 yards per carry. 

Plus, there is this stat, courtesy of the Bears' radio sideline reporter  :

Since entering the NFL in 2008, Matt Forte's 12,718 scrimmage yards (8,602 rushing and 4,116 receiving) are the most in the league

But when you sign a player in free agency — or decide whether or not to re-sign one of your own pending free agents — you must look toward the future.And the Bears decided, after assessing Forte, that they didn't want him as part of their future. 

Here is his farewell message  :

Despite my wishes, my days as a member of the Chicago Bears have sadly come to an end. I was informed earlier this week from the GM that they will not be attempting to re-sign me in free agency. I will remain forever grateful for my time spent in Chicago and being able to play for an organization with such a rich history. My only regret is not being able to win a Lombardi trophy for the best fans in all of sports. I'm excited about the next chapter of my NFL career. But, Chicago will always be home. God Bless and Bear Down!

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/02/should_jets_be_interested_in_matt_forte_whom_chica.html#incart_river_index

Earlier this week, Jets Wire took a look at the Jets first-round pick in this upcoming draft, and specifically, if the team should use it on a running back. Essentially, we went back in time, looked at running backs that were selected with the 20th pick in the first round or later, and then judged how their careers turned out. While there weren’t really any busts, and certainly a few top-notch players (Chris Johnson, Doug Martin), the overall feeling of the backs taken in that spot was… ‘eh.’

So, now we’ve switched things up…

Should the Jets instead use that first-round pick on a pass rusher? History says…

efore diving into the data, let’s set the ground rules. The players that were looked at were specially 3-4 outside linebackers as that’s the scheme the Jets play, and the type of player they’d likely consider taking in the first round. 4-3, pass-rushing defensive ends don’t count, neither do 3-4 defensive ends that excel at getting the quarterback (guys like Muhammad Wilkerson).What we were looking for were those speed, edge rushers. The guys that line up as outside linebackers, and then go and get the quarterback.Believe it or not, quite a decent amount of impact players have been found right at the 20th pick or after. In fact, if the Jets want to play the history card, the team would be wise to take a pass rusher here.

Ok, enough small talk. On to the numbers…

Going back over the last 10 drafts, or from the 2005 NFL Draft through the 2015 NFL Draft, there have been a total 12 pass rushers taken with the 20th pick or later. Of those 12 players, we’ve split them up into three tiers ranging from very good, to very not-so good.One note– the two outside linebackers selected last year — Bud Dupree (Steelers, 22nd overall), Shane Ray (Broncos, 23rd overall– were not ranked as simply there isn’t enough on them to make a sound judgement. Both players did show promise last year, though, recording eight combined sacks in limited reps.

Ok, now really on to the numbers…

In that upper echelon of elite-level talent are some names that certainly will cause eyes to widen. Tamba Hali, the Chiefs stud outside linebacker who will actually be a free agent this year (discussed him with the Jets here), was actually taken with the 20th pick in the 2006 NFL Draft. All he’s done is record 86 sacks in 10 NFL seasons and be voted to the Pro Bowl six times.Like Hali, the Packers Clay Matthews (26th pick, 2009 draft) andChandler Jones (21st pick, 2012 draft) have also been studs during their time in the NFL. Matthews has also been voted to six Pro Bowls while Jones, in four years, has 36 sacks. Jones is a bit of a sore subject with the Jets as the team passed on drafting him to instead takeQuinton Coples.In that second tier of players are two guys that are kind of wild cards. The first, which is a little tough to grade, is theBills Jerry HughesSelected with the 31st pick in the 2010 draft by the Colts, Hughes was a labeled a bust and let go by Indianapolis after just three years. He caught on with the Bills, and has since broken out with 25 sacks in his last three three seasons.

The Texans Whitney Mercilus, who was taken 26th overall in the 2012 draft, was average his first few seasons before breaking out with 12 sacks last year.These two players, because they haven’t displayed long-term, sustainable success, fall in that second tier.Finally, there are a few duds in that final third tier. The Eagles and Chiefs both missed badly on their swings in 2014. Philly elected to take Marcus Smith with the 26th selection, and he’s recorded just seven tackles and 1.5 sacks in 21 games. Kansas City took Dee Ford 23rd overall, and he’s recorded just 5.5 sacks in 30 games.Also struggling since their selection is the Colts Bjorn Werner (24th, 2013 draft) and the Packers Nick Perry (28th, 2012 draft). The two have a combined 19 sacks in their seven combined years in the NFL.

So, where’s that leave us? Here’s a look directly at those tiers  :

Tier 1 
– Tamba Hali, Chiefs: 20th pick, 2009 NFL Draft
– Clay Matthews, Packers: 26th pick, 2009 NFL Draft
– Chandler Jones, Patriots: 21st pick, 2012 NFL Draft

Tier 2 
– Jerry Hughes, Colts: 31st Pick, 2010 NFL Draft
– Whitney Mercilus, Texans: 26th Pick, 2012 NFL Draft

Tier 3 
– Marcus Smith, Eagles: 26th pick, 2014 NFL Draft
– Dee Ford, Chiefs: 23rd Pick, 2014 NFL Draft
– Bjorn Werner, Colts: 24th pick, 2013 NFL Draft
– Nick Perry, Packers: 28th pick, 2012 NFL Draft

So, now that you’ve seen the data, what do you think? Should the Jets use that first-round pick on a rusher ?

Cast your vote below, and expand on your opinion in the comment section:

>    http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/02/16/jets-should-draft-a-pass-rusher-in-the-first-round-says-history/

Former Western Michigan Standout DE Had 12 Sacks Including Playoffs for Calgary in 2015

The Jets have signed former Canadian Football League pass-rushing defensive end Freddie Bishop III to a reserve/future deal.Bishop (6'4", 265), whose signing was announced today, comes to the Green & White from the Calgary Stampeders, where he capped his 2015 season with an 11-sack regular season, tied for fourth in the CFL, plus one more in the playoffs.

Bishop, 25, hails from the state of Michigan. He was an all-state defender as a senior at Airport HS, then spent five seasons at Western Michigan. After his redshirt freshman season, he had 15 sacks and 31.5 tackles for loss in four seasons as a Broncos defensive lineman.

He signed with Detroit as an undrafted free agent after the 2013 draft but was released before camp started in July of that year. After being signed to Calgary's practice roster in 2013, he played the '14 and '15 seasons for the Stamps, compiling 60 tackles, 14 sacks and a forced fumble.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-9/Jets-Sign-CFL-Pass-Rusher-Freddie-Bishop-III/e6156b55-f4a3-41f1-8f91-99ff8ae443df

It's money season in the NFL.

In a couple of weeks, teams will be writing massive checks to coveted free agents and players they'd like to keep off the free-agent market. Yes, business is good in the NFL, evidenced by the recent report that commissioner Roger Goodell made $34 million in 2015 -- the equivalent of a double-franchise tag, I suppose.

In the spirit of ... well, cold hard cash, we present the New York Jets' top 10 players in career earnings, according to Spotrac.com :

1. Darrelle Revis -- $101.2 million

2. D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- $67.4 million

3. Brandon Marshall -- $64.2 million

4. David Harris -- $47.3 million

5. Calvin Pace -- $47 million

6. Antonio Cromartie -- $44 million

7. Nick Mangold -- $39.6 million

8. Ryan Fitzpatrick -- $39 million

9. Stephen Bowen -- $24.9 million

10. Willie Colon -- $21 million

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58510/jets-upper-tax-bracket-10-players-a-half-billion-in-career-earnings

The Jets this offseason have already signed one Canadian Football League passrusher, Freddie Bishop III.

Might they sign another  ? Looks like they'll have some competition.

Here is the agent of Tristan Okpalaugo, a 26-year-old who had 23 sacks the past two seasons with Toronto and played in college at Fresno State:

Tristan Okpalaugo, the top CFL DE/OLB is healthy & ready to go. Received an offer from NY Jets & we're now going to visit Seattle Seahawks.

Tristan Okpalaugo (DE/OLB Toronto Argonauts) had a great visit w/the Seahawks who also want him & we'll now be heading to Arizona Cardinals.

So we'll see if the Jets make it two CFL edge rushers (a position of need for this team) on their offseason roster.

Or maybe Okpalaugo will get a better offer elsewhere.

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/02/jets_offer_contract_to_cfl_pass_rusher_tristan_okp.html#incart_river_index

Jets currently own the 20th overall pick in this spring's NFL Draft

Will they trade up ?

Should they ? 

Those are questions SB Nation's Dan Kadar analyzed in his latest mock draft. The purpose of this draft — unlike most others — was to project first-round trades.Which is basically impossible to do, especially before free agency, but whatever.Kadar, as you'll recall (or maybe not),projected the Jets earlier this month to draft Ohio State offensive tackle Taylor Decker at No. 20. 

Just one week later, in his trades-projecting mock of Round 1, Kadar changed his mind, because why the heck not? This is, after all, the lead-up to the NFL Draft — a time when this sort of dopey nonsense flows freely. 

Though Kadar doesn't have the Jets trading their pick in Round 1, he now has them selecting Georgia outside linebacker/edge rusher Leonard Floyd at No. 20.So no trade up to grab North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz? Kadar doesn't think the Jets will/should do it. 

Here's how Kadar justifies his Floyd-to-Jets blind guess : 

Floyd is a player whose stock could skyrocket at the combine next week. He's a very good athlete with a good burst. He needs to get bigger than the 231 pounds Georgia listed him at last season, but he has the frame to add the bulk and power. If he's there at 20 for the Jets, he would solve the long-running need at pass rusher.

In terms of teams that Kadar guesses/projects to make trades, he has the Rams going up from No. 15 to No. 6, in order to take Wentz. Baltimore is currently at No. 6. He also has the Giants jumping from No. 10 to No. 8, in a swap with Miami, in order to select Oregon defensive end DeForest Buckner.Those are the only two trades Kadar projects in Round 1, as the Ravens opt to move down to No. 15 and the Dolphins drop to No. 10. 

What do you think of Kadar's projection that the Jets won't trade up? Should they trade up? Sound off down in the comments. 

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/02/nfl_draft_2016_will_the_jets_trade_up_should_they.html#incart_river_index

Archived