TRADE dept. : should jets consider a Sheldon Richardson-for-Joe Thomas trade ? ? ?

kelly

Instead of our usual Sunday notes on the New York Jets, we've audibled to a bonus mailbag  :

@RichCimini Any thoughts on possibly trading high rd pick or Sheldon Richardson to get a vry unhappy Joe Thomas away from Browns? #jetsmail

@RichCimini: There are many layers to this scenario. Obviously, you're down on D'Brickashaw Ferguson. There is no doubt Thomas is a better player than Ferguson. With three years, $19.7 million left on his contract, he's also a better value than Ferguson (two years, $23.3 million). But ask yourself this: Is the gap in their playing ability wide enough to justify replacing a 32-year-old left tackle with a 31-year-old left tackle? I don't think so. Unless you're talking about acquiring a franchise quarterback, a team never should trade a premium draft pick or a quality player for a player over 30 years old.

If Thomas were released and became a free agent, yes, it certainly would be a move worth considering. He's still playing at a high level. He's sick and tired of the losing and would like to finish his career elsewhere, but maybe the new regime in Cleveland can change his mind.Make no mistake, the Jets aren't locked into Ferguson from a cap standpoint, meaning it wouldn't crush the cap to cut him. He will count $14.1 million on the 2016 cap, and they can save $9.1 million of that amount by cutting him before June 1. If they made him a June 1 designation, they would save $10.3 million. But I don't think it will come to that. Ferguson might have slipped a bit in 2015, but he's still viewed by the team as a solid player. I suspect they will ask him to re-work his contract.

The other layer to your proposed trade is Richardson. Right now, his trade value is a giant question mark. He's looking at the likelihood of a personal-conduct suspension, creating a lot of uncertainty. Nobody would want to trade for him unless they know exactly what kind of baggage is coming along with him. Plus, if I'm the Jets, I wouldn't deal Richardson or Muhammad Wilkerson unless I get at least a top-15 pick in return or it enables me to draft a blue-chip quarterback. There might be only one or two in the draft, and they will be gone in the top three or four picks.

Bottom line : If you're going to move Richardson or a high-round pick, do it to address a need. Left tackle isn't a need right now. They have greater needs at other positions.

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58004/should-jets-consider-a-sheldon-richardson-for-joe-thomas-trade

Cleveland was 2nd in the league in sacks given up and 1st in the league in QB hits.  Was Thomas really that good this past year?

It doesn't make sense to create a hole by getting rid of D'Brick and then having to use a major resource either a top notch player or a very high pick to then have to fill that hole.

Nope.  Team is old enough.   Rather trade Richardson, if possible and get younger.

Crusher...if it came down to it, and I really hope it doesn't, who would you keep, Mo or Sheldon?Personally, think Sheldon is better, but scares the hell out of me with the off the field stuff.

Cleveland was 2nd in the league in sacks given up and 1st in the league in QB hits.  Was Thomas really that good this past year?

It doesn't make sense to create a hole by getting rid of D'Brick and then having to use a major resource either a top notch player or a very high pick to then have to fill that hole.

5 players on an offensive line, Cant just have one good player and expect the line to hold. That being said I would rather them pick up someone younger in free agency or draft one.

5 players on an offensive line, Cant just have one good player and expect the line to hold. That being said I would rather them pick up someone younger in free agency or draft one.

Yes, which is why we don't need to be pushing out a functional if not still decent LT who has not missed a snap in his career. 

Crusher...if it came down to it, and I really hope it doesn't, who would you keep, Mo or Sheldon?Personally, think Sheldon is better, but scares the hell out of me with the off the field stuff.

Mo for that exact reason.  I think the difference in players is less than the chance Sheldon becomes a serial offender. 

Archived