Joe Namath Likes Kaepernick to Jets

JetBlue

I  know  a lot of you don't what Kaepernick because you think he is a bum, but apparently Joe Namath disagrees with you.   Don't shoot the messenger.... :-)

Joe Namath thinks Jets should work to bring Colin Kaepernick to Gang Green

Joe Namath didn't offer any guarantees, but the greatest quarterback in Jets history believes that Colin Kaepernick might make sense for a franchise starving for a long-term solution at the game's most important position.

The Daily News' report last week that Kaepernick wants out of San Francisco and prefers to join the Jets prompted Brandon Marshall to declare that hedidn't want the disgruntled 49ers signal caller, because of his belief in Ryan Fitzpatrick. Namath, the only true franchise quarterback for the star-crossed franchise, didn't quite take the same hard line stance as the Jets receiver.

JETS WR BRANDON MARSHALL: I DON'T WANT COLIN KAEPERNICK

"I think he should consider that a little more," Namath told ESPN 98.7 on Fridayof Marshall's stance. "I know that Fitzpatrick did a wonderful job this year. Whenever I'm asked to critique what I've seen and what I feel, I know that he would like to throw the ball more accurately given the chance. You need more than one quarterback on a team. If Kaepernick were available, I'd certainly consider bringing him in, yes."

The Jets recently became aware of Kaepernick's desire to bolt San Francisco, but must tread lightly given the league's tampering rules.

MEHTA: KAEPERNICK JUST MIGHT THE FRANCHISE QB JETS NEED

Although the 28-year-old quarterback is under contract until 2020, he became disillusioned with the organization during a tumultuous 2015 season. It's unclear whether the divide between the player and organization (that includesnew head coach Chip Kelly) can be bridged, but Kaepernick is rehabbing his surgically repaired shoulder, thumb and knee in Colorado rather than at the 49ers team facility.

Kaepernick is amenable to playing for several teams, but the Jets are his preference due to professional and personal reasons, according to sources. The Jets, still hopeful of re-signing 33-year-old Fitzpatrick, were intrigued upon hearing of Kaepernick's interest in them, but are still in the early stages of their off-season planning and evaluations (in-house free agents, salary cap casualties, etc).

super-bowl-football.jpgMATT SLOCUM/AP

Former Jets quarterback Joe Namath thinks the Jets need to explore any opportunities with Colin Kaepernick.

FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. "LIKE" US HERE.

Kaepernick's $11.9 million base salary for 2016 becomes fully guaranteed on April 1. Marshall made it clear last week that he's interested in the Jets signing one guy — and one guy only — to lead the Jets in 2016.

"I don't want Kaepernick," Marshall said on ESPN’s First Take. "I think he's good. My guy's Fitz. It's nothing against Kaepernick."

Namath wouldn't shy away from adding Kaepernick even if Fitzpatrick is re-signed.

"I can appreciate where Brandon is coming from," Namath told 98.7. "He's endorsing his man. I can believe that. I can understand that, I promise you. But as a fan, as I'm looking at it, excuse me? Things can change like that. A guy falls on his shoulder… what are you going to do? If you got a chance at getting Kaepernick… Kaepernick has got a long career ahead of him and he's only going to get better."

The Jets brain trust would be doing a disservice by not exploring the possibility of adding the talented Kaepernick. Nobody would be outraged if Mike Maccagnan passed on Kaepernick, whose mental grasp of playing quarterback is a concern, according to league insiders, after a fair evaluation. The general manager, however, would be doing a disservice to the organization by not thoroughly examining the situation.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/joe-namath-jets-colin-kaepernick-article-1.2523941

Archived