Yankees tell players to be more like Russell Wilson, less like Cam Newton

AFJF

Just now, nyjunc said:

Clearly you know all and I know nothing.  It's racism that Cam is one of the most popular players in the league, you got me.

we need to stop hiding behind the racism crutch.  Not every negative thing to happen to a black person is a result of racism.

Yes, because you clearly know the demographics of who likes Cam and who doesn't.

If you wanna say it's not all about racism, fine. But don't sit here and try to tell me how racism doesn't ever play a factor. Especially when you consider the history of racism as it pertains to the QB position (let alone the history of this entire country). It's obvious where you stand, and you're part of the problem

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

WTF does Shaun King have to do with anything?

Especially the asinine idea that Cam shouldn't have been in the MVP conversation?  

Shaun King, MVP lock?  How are you a lock of you don't get it?  

you are spewing his nonsense.  that is what he has to do w/ it.

17 minutes ago, King P said:

Yes, because you clearly know the demographics of who likes Cam and who doesn't.

If you wanna say it's not all about racism, fine. But don't sit here and try to tell me how racism doesn't ever play a factor. Especially when you consider the history of racism as it pertains to the QB position (let alone the history of this entire country). It's obvious where you stand, and you're part of the problem

Obviously you do.   some old lady in the south writes a letter and everyone hates Cam b/c he is black!

what I am discussing is in general, not every single person.  I am sure there are loons that cannot root for a black player just as there are loons that cannot root for a white player.  I am talking about the majority not some random buffoons.

the typical response, have nothing so call the other person racist.  I stand in reality, you want excuses.

39 minutes ago, King P said:

Ok, I was going to respond to all of this. But first I figured I'd just ask you this question instead.

Since you claim that none of the hate towards Cam is due to race. In what situation would the hatred Cam gets be racist? What would have to happen to make you look at the hate/criticism Cam gets and say "yeah, racism plays a part in this"?

In a country where Donald Trump is about to be a nominee for the office of President, it's clear that racism is alive and well in America. However, halfwits like Shaun King enable and empower those scumbags by diverting the conversation toward pure idiocy, sensationalism, and absurdity. People who are interested in seeing racism removed from society should despise people like King as much as they hate racists themselves because they, in self interest, turn the whole movement into a carnival. 

As it relates to the Yankees situation, yes, you'd rather your organization act more like Russell Wilson than Cam Newton did over the course of an hour at the Super Bowl. I fear the people who want to raise their kids thinking that dodging the fumble, sulking, then walking out of the press conference is an exemplary way to comport oneself. Most people value and appreciate accountability, especially during times of great adversity. I think it's possible to call Cam out for that without it being a racist act.

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Obviously you do.   some old lady in the south writes a letter and everyone hates Cam b/c he is black!

what I am discussing is in general, not every single person.  I am sure there are loons that cannot root for a black player just as there are loons that cannot root for a white player.  I am talking about the majority not some random buffoons.

the typical response, have nothing so call the other person racist.  I stand in reality, you want excuses.

That's just one example. How about all the people that were calling Cam a "classless arrogant thug"? How about the media harping all over Cam from things that have nothing to do with football (ie having a baby out of wedlock).

And how do you know those people are the minority? People that don't like Black QBs aren't going to come out and say "I don't like him because he's Black". Racism is more subtle than that.

And you're doing the typical response of deflecting at every turn. With that same "stop playing the race card" rhetoric.

Just now, King P said:

That's just one example. How about all the people that were calling Cam a "classless arrogant thug"? How about the media harping all over Cam from things that have nothing to do with football (ie having a baby out of wedlock).

And how do you know those people are the minority? People that don't like Black QBs aren't going to come out and say "I don't like him because he's Black". Racism is more subtle than that.

And you're doing the typical response of deflecting at every turn. With that same "stop playing the race card" rhetoric.

who are these people? where are the examples?  you are taking a perception and making it reality as if millions of people were doing this.  

I guess I don't know just as you don't know, I like to think people are better than that in 2016.  Maybe I'm wrong? but we don't for sure.

no one is deflecting here except you, you keep giving me generalities, nothing concrete.  The man was the MVP and had the #2(not #1, I apologize) selling jersey, the controversy began w/ black players calling him out.  There aren't any facts to support your claims in this situation.

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

In a country where Donald Trump is about to be a nominee for the office of President, it's clear that racism is alive and well in America. However, halfwits like Shaun King enable and empower those scumbags by diverting the conversation toward pure idiocy, sensationalism, and absurdity. People who are interested in seeing racism removed from society should despise people like King as much as they hate racists themselves because they, in self interest, turn the whole movement into a carnival. 

As it relates to the Yankees situation, yes, you'd rather your organization act more like Russell Wilson than Cam Newton did over the course of an hour at the Super Bowl. I fear the people who want to raise their kids thinking that dodging the fumble, sulking, then walking out of the press conference is an exemplary way to comport oneself. Most people value and appreciate accountability, especially during times of great adversity. I think it's possible to call Cam out for that without it being a racist act.

The comments by the Yankees regarding how you carry yourself in the face of defeat werent racist in nature.  Hell, they were comparing 2 black men.  

It's the double standards that are clear racism.  Like the examples I gave with BB, Brady and Manning.  No biggie when they did it, when Cam did it, big problem.  When Brady and Manning fold from a simple gust of wind in their direction to avoid getting hit on a sack, its smart.  Cam doesnt jump for one fumble in his career (granted a pretty big moment), he's a coward. Meanwhile, this guy does flips over the pile at the goalline and leaves his body out to dry probably more than anyone else in the league.  How quickly, one play in his career eliminates all those other plays that got them to that game and in that moment. This is a guy that leaves himself completely open to taking a beating like no other QB in history. When BB, Brady and Manning refuse to acknowledge their opponent in the face of defeat, they're just fierce competitors.  When Cam does it, he's poor sport and a sore loser with a lousy attitude.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

The comments by the Yankees regarding how you carry yourself in the face of defeat werent racist in nature.  Hell, they were comparing 2 black men.  

It's the double standards that are clear racism.  Like the examples I gave with BB, Brady and Manning.  No biggie when they did it, when Cam did it, big problem.  When Brady and Manning fold from a simple gust of wind in their direction to avoid getting hit on a sack, its smart.  Cam doesnt jump for one fumble in his career (granted a pretty big moment), he's a coward. Meanwhile, this guy does flips over the pile at the goalline and leaves his body out to dry probably more than anyone else in the league.  How quickly, one play in his career eliminates all those other plays that got them to that game and in that moment. This is a guy that leaves himself completely open to taking a beating like no other QB in history. When BB, Brady and Manning refuse to acknowledge their opponent in the face of defeat, they're just fierce competitors.  When Cam does it, he's poor sport and a sore loser with a lousy attitude.

again, you made up the Brady part and the other guys were called out for that they did at the time.  5 years from now no one will remember this just as no one remembers what BB or Peyton did(by the way, both conducted full PCs).

Cam deserved to be bashed for his PC, he deserved to be bashed for the fumble. Being bashed had nothing to do w/ race w/ most people.  Cam is as tough as they come physically, it made no sense why he didn't go for that fumble other than he was shot mentally and not in the moment.

what you fail to address is others have been called out for being poor sports at times, Cam made a mistake and hopefully he learns and moves on.others have made mistakes and have learned as well.  we are allowed to criticize whoever we want(by the way I like Cam just for the record).

1 minute ago, JiF said:

It's the double standards that are clear racism.  Like the examples I gave with BB, Brady and Manning.  No biggie when they did it, when Cam did it, big problem.  When Brady and Manning fold from a simple gust of wind in their direction to avoid getting hit on a sack, its smart.  Cam doesnt jump for one fumble in his career (granted a pretty big moment), he's a coward. Meanwhile, this guy does flips over the pile at the goalline  and leaves his body out to dry probably more than anyone in else in the league.  How quickly, one play in his career eliminates all those other plays that got them to that game and in that moment.  This is a guy that leaves himself completely open to taking a beating like no other QB in history. When BB, Brady and Manning refuse to acknowledge their opponent in the face of defeat, they're just fierce competitors.  When Cam does it, he's poor sport and a sore loser with a lousy attitude.

A few things here: this alleged tsunami of Cam Newton criticism lasted roughly 24 hours, and it was basically people killing him for not jumping on the fumble in the biggest spot of his life and then compounding it by not sitting through the press conference to do the pretend self-flagellation we like to see in our athletes when they **** up. Cam carried himself in that situation the way we'd expect Jay Cutler to carry himself in that situation, and everyone (rightly) brutalizes Jay Cutler for his attitude. As for Brady and Manning, in what world do you live in that they don't get criticized? Brady is one of the most reviled figures in sports, and only Papa John likes Peyton Manning. The quarterback gets blasted when their team loses, regardless of their skin color, their history, or their Q-rating. Show me the QB that doesn't get ritually humiliated by the media after losing. You don't get to wave that sh*t off, especially after telling the world that you're reinventing the position. 

First off, this "hate" is overblown thanks to the black players calling him out then that letter from that old lady.  He is one of the most popular players in the league.

as far as people that don't like him, I am sure there are many that don't like him b/c he is black just as I am sure there are many black fans that don't like certain white players b/c they are white.  it is not evidence of racism.  

Junc, that could be your most contradictory post ever.

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A few things here: this alleged tsunami of Cam Newton criticism lasted roughly 24 hours, and it was basically people killing him for not jumping on the fumble in the biggest spot of his life and then compounding it by not sitting through the press conference to do the pretend self-flagellation we like to see in our athletes when they **** up. Cam carried himself in that situation the way we'd expect Jay Cutler to carry himself in that situation, and everyone (rightly) brutalizes Jay Cutler for his attitude. As for Brady and Manning, in what world do you live in that they don't get criticized? Brady is one of the most reviled figures in sports, and only Papa John likes Peyton Manning. The quarterback gets blasted when their team loses, regardless of their skin color, their history, or their Q-rating. Show me the QB that doesn't get ritually humiliated by the media after losing. You don't get to wave that sh*t off, especially after telling the world that you're reinventing the position. 

Bigot.

On 2/23/2016 at 8:51 PM, AFJF said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000637590/article/yankees-to-players-be-less-like-cam-more-like-russell

Spring training is underway for Major League Baseball. Hope is in the air. Bellies are on display From ESPN's Andrew Marchand:Most, if not all, MLB teams have a media training component built into to the their spring programs in Florida and Arizona. The New York Yankees are using the recent behavior of two prominent NFL quarterbacks to better prepare their players for the tabloid onslaught to come.

During the Yankees' media training, the Super Bowl is being used to portray the right and wrong way to act. Part of a video shown to pitchers and catchers compares how Cam Newton handled hisSuper Bowl loss to the way Russell Wilson dealt with his defeat the previous year.

If you're having trouble placing Wilson's Super Bowl XLIX postgame interview, that's the point. Wilson, never a magnet for controversy unless his thirst for Ciara is involved, answered questions in a post-Malcolm Butler world, accepted blame for the loss, and moved on without incident.

Newton, of course, was a different story.

The Yankees, we surmise, are preaching accountability and the avoidance of behavior that will create superfluous tabloid spectacle. We'll let you know if the Yankees release an internal video onCam's fumble effort.

The same team that traded for Aroldis Chapman is talking like this?

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

As a Met fan I don't mind Yankee fans feeling pain (like fans of every other team does).  I wish it were someone other than Mattingly though.  I have to say I respected the guy.

I grew up in CT (on/off more or less). Most of my childhood consisted of fights of Mattingly vs. Boggs. It eventually turned into Jeter vs. Normar. But Don Mattingly was my childhood hero. 

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

So wife beating is no biggie.  In fact, since the Yankees signed him, I guess it's "classy".

Wife beating is a biggie.  An investigation of accused wife beating that turns up no results is not a biggie.  Imagine that, somebody not looking for a conviction when an investigation deems no need for charges to be filed....soooo not classy.

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

I grew up in CT (on/off more or less). Most of my childhood consisted of fights of Mattingly vs. Boggs. It eventually turned into Jeter vs. Normar. But Don Mattingly was my childhood hero. 

Can we at least agree that Mattingly made a poor choice of wife?  What was he thinking?!

Just now, HessStation said:

I waited in line for what felt like seven hours for Mattingly's autograph when I was a kid.  I worshiped the guy.  When we won the world series in 1996 I lost my mind for a few minutes, then stood there kinda bummed out realizing he'd retired a  season too early.  Really hoped he was gonna come back as a spot starter/PH.  Especially after the way he played in the post season in 95.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Wife beating is a biggie.  An investigation of accused wife beating that turns up no results is not a biggie.  Imagine that, somebody not looking for a conviction when an investigation deems no need for charges to be filed....soooo not classy.

I'm sure that's why the Reds dumped him on the cheap.

Btw, how about throwing a broken shard of bat at an opponent during the world series?  All class.

I'm sure that's why the Reds dumped him on the cheap.

Btw, how about throwing a broken shard of bat at an opponent during the world series?  All class.

That's the hardest part of being a Yankee fan.  It's nice to have enjoyed all the WS wins, but it sucks knowing that you're the only team in MLB to have a few douchebags on the roster.  I remember being so jealous as a kid when the Mets had "The worst team money could buy" and their players were hurling M-80's at their fans.  Stay classy, right?

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

That's the hardest part of being a Yankee fan.  It's nice to have enjoyed all the WS wins, but it sucks knowing that you're the only team in MLB to have a few douchebags on the roster.  I remember being so jealous as a kid when the Mets had "The worst team money could buy" and their players were hurling M-80's at their fans.  Stay classy, right?

The Mets certainly have had their fair share of D-bags over the years.  The difference is that they don't flaunt how classy they are like the phony Yankees do.

The Mets certainly have had their fair share of D-bags over the years.  The difference is that they don't flaunt how classy they are like the phony Yankees do.

I'm just glad they decided not to go with the original plan of calling it "CLASSY YANKEE STADIUM".

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Wait, haven't you said you have had no interest in baseball for years, and it was too boring? So how did you enjoy all those WS wins? Or are you one of those Yankee fans?

Archived