Empire State Mafia Sign-Ups

Just now, Integrity28 said:

yea, rescuing a pup is a lot of work. what breed?

Pit Bull.  Always a pit bull.  People suck at owning them.  My father has done rescue since the 70's.  My Big Baby-Bubba just turned ten and just started to slow down.  Heard about this dog and Mrs Crusher felt like we had to take it.  Idiots before us caged her incorrectly and this dog has separation anxiety like I have hunger after not eating for 35 minutes.  She is really a sweet dog until nobody is home.  Then she is a maniac that chews everything she can find to keep from losing her mind.  Hell she even chews on Bubbas ears. LOL  I leave her chewies, rawhide, chew toys and she opened a filing cabinet and made confetti.  LOL

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Pit Bull.  Always a pit bull.  People suck at owning them.  My father has done rescue since the 70's.  My Big Baby-Bubba just turned ten and just started to slow down.  Heard about this dog and Mrs Crusher felt like we had to take it.  Idiots before us caged her incorrectly and this dog has separation anxiety like I have hunger after not eating for 35 minutes.  She is really a sweet dog until nobody is home.  Then she is a maniac that chews everything she can find to keep from losing her mind.  Hell she even chews on Bubbas ears. LOL  I leave her chewies, rawhide, chew toys and she opened a filing cabinet and made confetti.  LOL

Separation anxiety in pooches is tough to deal with. 

We have a sheltie mix that we adopted. She's extremely intelligent, sometimes more intelligent than I wish she was, because she's hyper aware of everything.... her instinct is to keep track of us all (herding) and when we're not all together, she gets anxious. When we leave her alone in the house she can sometimes turn into a cowering, nervous wreck. Sometimes she chews a kid toy here or there, but she's bigger on licking as an anxious reflex, so she licks he feet like crazy (and us when we get home).

She's sweet, but it's over-bearing and tough to figure out how to help her feel better. 

I trained her early to love her crate and treat it like a safe-zone, it helps, but we hate having the crate out in the open in the house. We don't have a good spot for it.

So, the way I crate trained my pup... was corny, but it worked. I would literally have her do a trick (like "sit"), reward her, then the next trick would be to "go in the crate" and then I'd get down on my belly, and sort of put my head on the bed in there for her... she'd come a little closer each time, then when I finally got her to go in, I gave her all sorts of rewarding praise and treats... eventually she began to see the crate as a reward zone, and a safe place. 

Not sure it'd work with every dog, but it did this one.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

So, the way I crate trained my pup... was corny, but it worked. I would literally have her do a trick (like "sit"), reward her, then the next trick would be to "go in the crate" and then I'd get down on my belly, and sort of put my head on the bed in there for her... she'd come a little closer each time, then when I finally got her to go in, I gave her all sorts of rewarding praise and treats... eventually she began to see the crate as a reward zone, and a safe place. 

Not sure it'd work with every dog, but it did this one.

Pretty sure that is the best way to do it.  Most dogs respond well to rewarding small incremental behaviors leading to the the goal behavior.  Minus  using a training collar for working dogs, like labs for bird hunting.  Not my thing but I understand the use.  You are a very smart Ape, good boy.  

a>

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

The dog sounds cute but you are in for a lot of work trying to break a dog of separation anxiety. My father's dog has separation anxiety and never got over it. It destroys furniture, pissses all over the house, growls at everyone that comes near it, tries to cross the street to attack other dogs, and doesn't leave the top of the couch until he or his wife come home from being out. Then, it insists on sleeping in the bed which is the biggest intrusion by a pet I've ever seen my father allow.  The only good thing that I can think of about this dog is that it has all the patience in the world with my toddler son and eventually the dog does warm up to people, it just takes time, patience and knowing how he goes about cooling down. These are all traits that a terrier can get away with but I don't know how desirable they would be in a pitbull. I wish you all the luck you can get, because you may not break that dog of his bad habit.

^ I should add that my stepmother took this dog off her sister's hands because, her sister already had bought another puppy, had a couple of caged pets and her and her two daughters were out for about 8-9 hours each day and couldn't care for this dog anymore. The dog was probably 2 years old and had lived it's life in a cage in a two bedroom apartment 5 days a week. So it sounds like you got in there a lot sooner than he did.

She looks super cute, Crusher. Since my mom is a house wife my dog is used to someone always being in the house with her so she doesn't like being alone in the house. She used to pee or poop in the house after like a minute of being left alone. But we found a trick that seems to work with her... if we leave my mom's or dad's pillow next to her? she doesn't do it. Sometimes when we forgot to do that, she'd go into their room and take it herself, so we'd find a pillow on the floor when we came back lol  But I guess their smell was comforting enough for her to be more at ease.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah sounds familiar.  I cant use a crate with this one.  I got mine out of the attic and she ran from me and dove under the table.  Couldn't bring myself to do it.  So I made her a little safe place in a space created by two couches in the den.  Put a doggie pillow, couple old throws and covered it with an Old Jet blanket.  Like any Jet fan who receives gifts I own eleventy million of them. She likes it, took her couple days to go in and out of it until she decided it was not going to close on her.  She sleeps in my sons Sals room at night as a function of him always being the last person in the house to go asleep.  She has certainly been great for Bubba, he is more active than he has been in years.   Well...  until about 830 at night, then he growls at her and gos into the office to lay on his couch.  Similar to me in that manner.

GoGo and Big Baby-Bubba

image_zpsihqrdj0t.jpeg

Awww.

I want a Pit one day. Right now I got a German Shepherd, and a mutt that is part Husky, part German Shepherd (supposedly, but I don't believe it), part Lab (I think; or maybe Beagle), and part dumbass.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Nynaeve said:

She's generally a good dog, really. Especially compared to some horror stories I heard from some pet owners. 

Yeah, it depends both on how you raise/train the dog, and on their own personality. Some dogs are easier than others. My GSD is such a sweetheart. Intelligent, obedient (most of the time), and eager to please. She was easy to train.

The other one is a dick. He's got the Husky stubbornness.

1 hour ago, deckerfan said:

This sounds fun. I'd like to play.

Woooo! Yay! Welcome!

It's easy. The only thing you have to know is that all new players must pm an action shot of their "member" to the mod running the game, in order to officially sign up. That would be @Jetsfan80 in this case. It can't be too much of an action shot, though. 80 is quite delicate and still has his innocence.

Good luck. ;)

• Upvote 1

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

Woooo! Yay! Welcome!

It's easy. The only thing you have to know is that all new players must pm an action shot of their "member" to the mod running the game, in order to officially sign up. That would be @Jetsfan80 in this case. It can't be too much of an action shot, though. 80 is quite delicate and still has his innocence.

Good luck. ;)

Thanks Pac.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Nynaeve said:

She looks super cute, Crusher. Since my mom is a house wife my dog is used to someone always being in the house with her so she doesn't like being alone in the house. She used to pee or poop in the house after like a minute of being left alone. But we found a trick that seems to work with her... if we leave my mom's or dad's pillow next to her? she doesn't do it. Sometimes when we forgot to do that, she'd go into their room and take it herself, so we'd find a pillow on the floor when we came back lol  But I guess their smell was comforting enough for her to be more at ease.

Mrs Crusher and I talked about that .  Perfect dog if we never left the house .  Haha.  She really is sweet little beast.  I will try the pillow thing.  Thanks you bunny

• Upvote 1

On 3/15/2016 at 9:37 AM, The Crusher said:

Yeah sounds familiar.  I cant use a crate with this one.  I got mine out of the attic and she ran from me and dove under the table.  Couldn't bring myself to do it.  So I made her a little safe place in a space created by two couches in the den.  Put a doggie pillow, couple old throws and covered it with an Old Jet blanket.  Like any Jet fan who receives gifts I own eleventy million of them. She likes it, took her couple days to go in and out of it until she decided it was not going to close on her.  She sleeps in my sons Sals room at night as a function of him always being the last person in the house to go asleep.  She has certainly been great for Bubba, he is more active than he has been in years.   Well...  until about 830 at night, then he growls at her and gos into the office to lay on his couch.  Similar to me in that manner.

GoGo and Big Baby-Bubba

image_zpsihqrdj0t.jpeg

Cutie pies.  My family owns Pit bulls.  Gogo looks like my brothers pit, Z-Boy.  Except Z-Boy has some marking on his face too.  Literally the greatest dog in the history of dogs.  He's the biggest, sweetest lover you ever met...but dont **** with my brother or he'l turn into a mother****ing psycho path.  haha

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Cutie pies.  My family owns Pit bulls.  Gogo looks like my brothers pit, Z-Boy.  Except Z-Boy has some marking on his face too.  Literally the greatest dog in the history of dogs.  He's the biggest, sweetest lover you ever met...but dont **** with my brother or he'l turn into a mother****ing psycho path.  haha

That's Bubba.  Big Baby is his nickname because he is sweetest cuddle bunny ever.  He is 10 now and has always been 88-92 lbs.. Loves dogs and people.  Unless you rattle my screen door or jump out of a Fed-ex /UPS truck when Im walking him.  Then he will make you poop yourself.