FA/ OL still unsigned

32EBoozer

Below are PFF’s top offensive tackle free agents entering the NFL offseason.

(Editor’s note: This list was updated on March 2, 2016, removing Bills LT Cordy Glenn, previously in the No. 1 spot.)

1. Donald Penn

2015 team: Oakland Raiders

The 33-year-old veteran would probably only be a short-term solution, but he is a solid option. He has earned positive run-blocking grades in all nine seasons of the PFF era. Penn is also coming off arguably his best two pass-blocking seasons as a pro, with a pass blocking efficiency above 95.0 in both years. Penn has also been extremely reliable when it comes to his health; he’s missed just 52 total offensive snaps out of nearly 8,500 over the past eight seasons.

2. Kelvin Beachum

2015 team: Pittsburgh Steelers

Beachum was one of the best pass-blocking tackles in 2014, with a third-best 97.5 pass blocking efficiency. Unfortunately, an ACL injury cut his 2015 campaign short before he could continue to build on the previous year’s success. After a rocky opening weekend against the Patriots where Beachum allowed four pressures, he allowed just two pressures over the next five games before being injured this season. He’s been average as a run blocker so far in his career, but with pass protection at a premium nowadays, his pass-blocking grades and ceiling are quite valuable.

4. Russell Okung

2015 team: Seattle Seahawks

There was a time when Okung was close to being a top-10 tackle in the league, but it has been three years since his peak in 2012. He was a good run-blocker early in his career, but his cumulative run block grades of -7.2 and +1.0 the past two seasons have been considerably lower. He’s had just one above-average pass-blocking season in six years, but the Seahawks’ comparatively run-heavy offense has lessened that exposure. All that said, he has shown his potential in the past, and has put together small stretches of good play since then. If he can stay healthy, it’s certainly possible that he could reach that level again.

5. Andre Smith, Jr.

2015 team: Cincinnati Bengals

Smith had the worst season of his career in 2015 with an overall player grade of 39.6. In his defense, the Bengal has dealt with multiple injuries and concussions over the last two years, both of which could be significant contributors to his worst two seasons out of his five years as a starter. In 2012, he was our highest-graded right tackle in the league, with one of the better run-blocking grades that season. Similar to Okung, it’s possible that he can regain that form, but the uncertainty might be the difference between a short- and long-term contract.

If Beachum won't take a longer deal at a lower rate because he's coming off injury and knows his value is down somewhat now, give him a 1 year deal at $10-11M so he can play out the season and get his dollars up to that or higher on a multi-year deal. Cut Ferguson (or if anyone's really that worried about the last couple bucks on this year's spending ability, designate him as a June 1 cut to defer $1.3M of it to next year). Net cost on this year's cap would be negligible over keeping Ferguson as is and we have the inside track on signing him for longer if we so desire.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If Beachum won't take a longer deal at a lower rate because he's coming off injury and knows his value is down somewhat now, give him a 1 year deal at $10-11M so he can play out the season and get his dollars up to that or higher on a multi-year deal. Cut Ferguson (or if anyone's really that worried about the last couple bucks on this year's spending ability, designate him as a June 1 cut to defer $1.3M of it to next year). Net cost on this year's cap would be negligible over keeping Ferguson as is and we have the inside track on signing him for longer if we so desire.

Oof. Sign a guy to a one year 10 million dollar deal and cut our left tackle with no long term plan? To save 1 million dollars. Not on board Spermy 

5 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Oof. Sign a guy to a one year 10 million dollar deal and cut our left tackle with no long term plan? To save 1 million dollars. Not on board Spermy 

It's a dramatic improvement to the LT position, where we hope to see a rookie or first year player out there. Further handicapping him with a lousy LT is as bad an idea as throwing him out there with crappy receivers.  It has little to do with saving $1M. I don't think it saves anything, but rather if we're going to allot that much to a LT at least pay a good one, or one with the potential to be a great one.

He's a potential top 5-10 LT and he's also no longer, or maybe he's a potential nothing or perma-injury player if he busts that same ACL again. You go with a lower risk contract one way or the other with that: short term at higher $ or longer term at lower $. But that's a 2 way street and since I doubt he'd settle for the latter (i.e. under $20M guaranteed) in his biggest earning opportunity, I outlined the former. Plus we can extend him if he's worth it, prior to his hitting FA next year - or we may find a young guy good enough in the draft - so there is a long term plan.

The worst possible option, other than long term locking up a new guy who ends up being terrible, is sticking with an old has-been who we know sucks, and who has for some time now. With that option, there's no long term plan and no short term plan.

MacDaddy loves his short-term flexibility contracts. 

I'd be OK with a 1-2 yr. deal. Beachum is 26, he can get his big contract in 2017.

Or Penn/Smith on a short term deal(the market is drying up)

Regardless, the important thing is to draft a quality LT/RT in this draft

.... and not a "project" we have too many of those as is!

5 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

We're releasing Dbrick in 2017 regardless.....why what till the last minute when an upgrade can be had now?

18 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

We're releasing Dbrick in 2017 regardless.....why what till the last minute when an upgrade can be had now?

You'd think Brick was 27-28 years old, with a team-friendly contract that doesn't expire for another 4 seasons, who has a reasonable expectation of becoming a top-level LT again. Not only is Brick none of those things, he isn't even close.

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You appear to have an extreme dislike for DBrick. You argued last year with me that he was done. You were mistaken then. Sure, his play is slipping and this season his pay is very high. I still don't think the Jets want to weaken the OL with a big ? At QB. Your inanity is a real stretch. Please review your position on this.

1 hour ago, Jetdawgg said:

You appear to have an extreme dislike for DBrick. You argued last year with me that he was done. You were mistaken then. Sure, his play is slipping and this season his pay is very high. I still don't think the Jets want to weaken the OL with a big ? At QB. Your inanity is a real stretch. Please review your position on this.

Actually I argued it last year and I was correct. He was among the worst tackles in football in 2015, the year we were supposed to see this big resurgence by adding Carpenter next to him.

34 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Actually I argued it last year and I was correct. He was among the worst tackles in football in 2015, the year we were supposed to see this big resurgence by adding Carpenter next to him.

The Jets had 2 WR's get 1,000+ yards, a 1,000 yard RB and a QB throw for 30+ TD's. Brick was never replaced and is still on the team. Once again please review your position and where you obtain data from. They appear very questionable. I remember 3 games that I would consider bad; Dallas, NE game 1 and Buf Game 2. 

He is aging and he is not providing the value he is getting paid for next season. For a NYJ QB to look over and see Big number 60 play after play is an invaluable comfort IMO.

Just now, Jetdawgg said:

The Jets had 2 WR's get 1,000+ yards, a 1,000 yard RB and a QB throw for 30+ TD's. Brick was never replaced and is still on the team. Once again please review your position and where you obtain data from. They appear very questionable. I remember 3 games that I would consider bad; Dallas, NE game 1 and Buf Game 2. 

He is aging and he is not providing the value he is getting paid for next season. For a NYJ QB to look over and see Big number 60 play after play is an invaluable comfort IMO.

Those are not functions of Ferguson. They are the functions of others.

Where I obtain my data? I watch football games and then from the only reputable "data" sources available (PFF, etc). There is literally no "data" that suggests Ferguson was even an average tackle. There is overwhelming data that says he was among the league's worst in 2015, which - despite getting him more help with a solid pass blocking LG next to him - is even worse than 2014 when we already needed an upgrade. 

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Those are not functions of Ferguson. They are the functions of others.

Where I obtain my data? I watch football games and then from the only reputable "data" sources available (PFF, etc). There is literally no "data" that suggests Ferguson was even an average tackle. There is overwhelming data that says he was among the league's worst in 2015, which - despite getting him more help with a solid pass blocking LG next to him - is even worse than 2014 when we already needed an upgrade. 

The Jets look like they may go OL or OLB early now with the RB acquisitions yesterday and today. The last significant play of last season, Brick let his man hit Fitz on a pass that was picked off. 

7 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

The Jets look like they may go OL or OLB early now with the RB acquisitions yesterday and today. The last significant play of last season, Brick let his man hit Fitz on a pass that was picked off. 

What they seem to be doing is shoring up as many positions as possible so they don't have to draft for need. Or if the opportunity is there, they can pair up picks for a QB without crying over a 1 year hole at RB (or backup RB at that).

Archived