Kingmaker Mafia - Game Thread

13 hours ago, Nynaeve said:

Hi, how was the vacation?

It was great. My daughter is just under 3, and we were concerned she may be too young for Disney, however, we re-calibrated our expectations for the trip to center around her interests, and it was a blast! I think we went on Small World, Dumb, Teacups and other kiddie rides like 100 times... and it still wasn't enough. My daughter, for such a young age, has an amazing ability to people watch, and associate behaviors and emotions in situations that are foreign to her and in which she has no context... so after about the 3rd teacup ride, she started doing this fake theme park squeal that would melt anyone's heart... even @CTM's.

Just a week full of nostalgia, curiosity and new memories for us all. Really fantastic.

12 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I'm fine you?  Missed you.  

Glad to hear! I'm doing well. The vacation was well-timed after the miscarriage, and my wife is going through a ton of testing now on her thyroid (which seems to be an issue). It may or may not have caused the miscarriages, but what we do know is that the miscarriages led them to find this problem. I guess you have to find the good in the bad. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

12 hours ago, Lily said:

Yes. Missed you, too. I had no one to get behind. lol

I'm sure you found someone to get behind, no??? :)

11 hours ago, AVM said:

^^this guy gets it

Good man, hope the vacation was awesome. If you want the cliff notes: confusion, emo, Crusher takes control, more emo, lots of anger, more emo, and EY thinks Im @Dan., apparently.

Oh and Verb sucks. So you know...pretty standard game.

Nice. It lasted a long time. I had it figured out by the end of page 3.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Pac said:

oh and I didn't want to talk about it in game and impact anyone's decisions but a few days after the game started one of my best friends growing up od'd and was on life support for a week.  I was going to hospital every night after work and obviously not posting much.  They wound up pulling the plug.  His funeral was last week and I had to write a speech and give it during the service.  His mom loved it and I got a lot of hugs and thank yous.

I'm not saying any of this for sympathy or sorry's...  just saying why I was barely posting.  Although I hadn't hung around with him that much in the last 15 years it hurt pretty bad.  But it did give me an opportunity to have the discussion with my son about what happens when you choose the path of hard drugs.

Yeesh... sorry to hear man. The past year or so hasn't been to kind to you. Hope you're doing well, and bravo for using it as a life lesson for your son, as hard as that may have been.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Pac said:

erie-canal-path_credit-shawnporterflickr

Canal path a couple minutes walk from me...

This is what you see a couple minutes from you:

deerwood-publix.jpg

I can't see the bottom photo... is it a picture of a meth head laying on the ground next to an oscillating fan?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pac said:

That's where I live (Fairport, NY).  Those are pictures of main st in the village which is about a 20 min walk for me to get to via the canal path.

Pac insecurity on the interwebz has pretty much given us all we need to know to murder him and then take over his life in his small, upstate NY town... the only security he has at this point is the fact that his life is in a small, upstate, NY town.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, gEYno said:

When I think of the authority on travel/lifestyle, I look to 6.7% of readers of BudgetTravel.com.

Are you two still debating the merits of a Florida trailer park vs. Yeti country?

Yup.

Diarrhea vs. constipation.

Sorry I didn't get to join in on this game with you. Would have been fun!

• Upvote 2

Just finished the book Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl, a Holocaust survivor.  Anyone ever read it?  I feel like it should be required reading for all human beings.  So amazing. 

Didn't mean to change the topic, but the rough year Pac has had reminded me of what Frankl talked about:  How one can find meaning in life even through suffering, and thus why meaning is far more important than happiness.  Easy to say to someone who has suffered losses, I know, but still a powerful message.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Pac insecurity on the interwebz has pretty much given us all we need to know to murder him and then take over his life in his small, upstate NY town... the only security he has at this point is the fact that his life is in a small, upstate, NY town.

No one reads this forum or cares except for 20 people.  Don't live life in fear.  Crush practically gives his street address and no one gives a sh-t.

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

When I think of the authority on travel/lifestyle, I look to 6.7% of readers of BudgetTravel.com.

Are you two still debating the merits of a Florida trailer park vs. Yeti country?

How about CNN?

two time 100.jpg

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All of it, cover to cover, including the Preface and Afterword.  It had my full attention throughout. 

I'm curious how you heard about the book?  It certainly transcends it's genre, but I don't hear of a ton of people reading it.

Logotherapy is kind of subsumed into Existential Psychotherapy, which isn't widely practiced either, but it's concepts are still widely relevant.

21 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I'm curious how you heard about the book?  It certainly transcends it's genre, but I don't hear of a ton of people reading it.

Logotherapy is kind of subsumed into Existential Psychotherapy, which isn't widely practiced either, but it's concepts are still widely relevant.

A friend recommended it.  But I also saw it in Barnes & Noble shortly after beginning it, on a table with a sign saying "Books that will make you think".  I'd already read about 12 books from that table, so clearly that seems to be my genre of choice.  As a side note, I liked that they had C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity" right next to Christopher Hitchens' "God is Not Great".  Give people 2 different sides of the discussion right next to each other. 

According to the most recent edition of the book, it's sold about 12 million copies, but perhaps it isn't quite as big in the US as other countries who DO have quite a bit of logotherapy going on.  Frankl never really operated in America, instead preferring to remain in Vienna most of his life to help other Holocaust survivors in addition to his other work, so that might be why I'd never heard of it until recently.

It's a sphere of influence that definitely needs to increase in the US, I would think.  After all, we probably have a higher % of people who are in the middle of an "existential crisis" than in other countries.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A friend recommended it.  But I also saw it in Barnes & Noble shortly after beginning it, on a table with a sign saying "Books that will make you think".  I'd already read about 12 books from that table, so clearly that seems to be my genre of choice.  As a side note, I liked that they had C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity" right next to Christopher Hitchens' "God is Not Great".  Give people 2 different sides of the discussion right next to each other. 

According to the most recent edition of the book, it's sold about 12 million copies, but perhaps it isn't quite as big in the US as other countries who DO have quite a bit of logotherapy going on.  Frankl never really operated in America, instead preferring to remain in Vienna most of his life to help other Holocaust survivors in addition to his other work, so that might be why I'd never heard of it until recently.

It's a sphere of influence that definitely needs to increase in the US, I would think.  After all, we probably have a higher % of people who are in the middle of an "existential crisis" than in other countries.

Yalom is sort of the American Frankl.  If you have any interest in continuing your reading.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pac said:

No one reads this forum or cares except for 20 people.  Don't live life in fear.  Crush practically gives his street address and no one gives a sh-t.

lol, wtf are you talking about... just take the insult like a man, you queef.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetscode1 said:

Whatever it is you're hiding it cannot possibly be worse than the Boardwalk Empire QTs.  So yeah...thanks for repping.

Not my decision to hide, buttface.  I'm just obeying the scumteam's wishes.