Was Geno the Jets Plan All Along?

JetBlue

1 hour ago, kelticwizard said:

Yeah, 207 yards a game for 12 games, with Andre Johnson.  A real career year.

PS:  Benched for a couple of games for Ryan Mallett.  Just tore the league up, he did.

Andre Johnson is done. I said it last year after watching all the Texan's games when we signed Fitz. I also said Fitz was going to come in and look like a real professional QB, and that we would be shocked at what that looked like. Now he's been over rated because of years of incompetent QB play. 

I'll root for Geno if Fitz doesn't sign, and possibly he may gain confidence from better OC and personnel. I've just never seen a QB go from incompetent to good before so I figure it's not likely.   

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

You may think you are good at cherry picking, but you're not really.  By any objective measure Fitz performed well in 14.  And the background to the Ryan Mallett story helps explain that part. RF had a qb rating over 95 that year.  Geno Smith can only imagine a season rating near that.

You might think you're good at ignoring stats,  but you're not really.  The year that you brag about in Houston, Fitz's  tenth year in the league, he averaged 207 yards passing a game with one of the league's premier pass catchers in the lineup.  And he got benched for Ryan Mallet.  And you point to this mish-mash of a year to try to  shut down criticism that Fitz is mediocre, when this was his high point?

5 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

You might think you're good at ignoring stats,  but you're not really.  The year that you brag about in Houston, Fitz's  tenth year in the league, he averaged 207 yards passing a game with one of the league's premier pass catchers in the lineup.  And he got benched for Ryan Mallet.  And you point to this mish-mash of a year to try to  shut down criticism that Fitz is mediocre, when this was his high point?

fitzpatricks play in Houston was respectable. not great, but respectable. I did not know that andre Johnson was one of the leagues premier pass catchers in 2014. please tell me more

13 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

You might think you're good at ignoring stats,  but you're not really.  The year that you brag about in Houston, Fitz's  tenth year in the league, he averaged 207 yards passing a game with one of the leaugue's premier pass catchers in the lineup.  And he got benched for Ryan Mallet.  And you point to this mish-mash of a year to try to  shut down criticism that Fitz is mediocre, when this was his high point?

And then Fitz returned and played well. He threw for 17 Tds and had 8 picks. He also played well for the Titans in 2013. His Td to pick ratio has been good. And obviously Andre Johnson wasn't the elite receiver he used to be. Some of you guys sound like politicians. You only give part of the story and never mention anything that makes the player you hate look good. At least be fair.

1 hour ago, ylekram said:

geeze, do you really need an answer to this one? I don't think anyone is stating that geno absolutely cannot become a better qb than fitz. but that's not what mac is contemplating. macs choice is 4th year geno vs 11 year fitz not 4th year geno vs 4th year fitz. the lengths that some will go to

I sure as heck hope a young qb career goals is not to be Ryan Fitzpatrick quality ?

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

And then Fitz returned and played well. He threw for 17 Tds and had 8 picks. He also played well for the Titans in 2013. His Td to pick ratio has been good. And obviously Andre Johnson wasn't the elite receiver he used to be. Some of you guys sound like politicians. You only give part of the story and never mention anything that makes the player you hate look good. At least be fair.

You're typing it...  but you don't seem to see it.  It's kinda funny actually.

You say:

1. He played well for Tennessee in 2013.
  2. He played well for Houston in 2014.
  3. He played well for us in 2015.

Name one other QB in the history of the NFL who has ever played consistently well on a starting level, yet has been on three teams in as many years.

Tennessee and Houston weren't dumb.  Let's hope Macc isn't either.

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

I sure as heck hope a young qb career goals is not to be Ryan Fitzpatrick quality ?

as well as he shouldn't. I don't think ryan Fitzpatrick is a great qb. I don't think that anybody does. but a young qb should want to atleast get to a ryan Fitzpatrick stand point before he gets to tom brady's. geno has a ways to go before he gets to a ryan Fitzpatrick stage of quarterbacking.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

You're typing it...  but you don't seem to see it.  It's kinda funny actually.

You say:

1. He played well for Tennessee in 2013.
  2. He played well for Houston in 2014.
  3. He played well for us in 2015.

Name one other QB in the history of the NFL who has ever played consistently well on a starting level, yet has been on three teams in as many years.

Tennessee and Houston weren't dumb.  Let's hope Macc isn't either.

hell no. Tennessee and Houston are known for their nfl superiority and league wide dominance

Can't be bothered to go back and read this whol thread, but has anyone responded to the initial question with this hot take yet?

Maybe the Jets plan was to make Fitz an offer they felt was reasonable, not overpay, and if they couldn't get him for what they were comfortable with, go with Geno?

Has that possibility been explored?

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I have to say during this entire debate I've learned something. I don't think there are that many true Geno fans but I'm shocked that he has fans who are so loyal. Some of them I think care more about him getting another chance to start than the team winning. There is no way a team is afraid to cut or release a player and worry that he can end up being good (if they gave him a good chance). You don't make a choice on who is your starting Qb based on that.  This happens to every team and you have to make decisions. Geno's fans will jump on any stat to "prove" he didn't get a fair shake and attempt to discredit the other Qb (Fitz). They will search out any bad stat on Fitz to make their case.  And there are in reality no good stats on Geno. Then there are the Fitz haters. I was shocked by them too because I assumed Jets fans liked what they saw in 2015 (a plus six) and thought the Qb did a very good job.  But most of them blame him alone for week 17. They were expecting to make the playoffs and we lost a game. Even though we'd won five in a row. They are unmerciful in their hatred and criticism.They don't want him back and if he does return they want him to suffer. As in get the worst contract possible. They are openly rooting for him to make less money and this is their idea of payback. And then there are the trolls who really don't give an s one way or the other. They just say outrageous things to keep the fire stoked. And suckers like me take the bait. And then there is the silent majority who doesn't pay any attention to this nonsense. I think that most of them like what they saw last season and hope the team starts the BAP. Salary is between the player and the FO but it should be able to be worked out with compromise on both sides. 

Winning is we want how about you has your favorite Fitzpatrick has he ever won anything in his entire career why are you so loyal to the mediocre QB. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Winning is we want how about you has your favorite Fitzpatrick has he ever won anything in his entire career why are you so loyal to the mediocre QB. 

is there an English translation to this statement?

2 minutes ago, ylekram said:

hell no. Tennessee and Houston are known for their nfl superiority and league wide dominance

Houston was a playoff team and will be competing again for a playoff spot this season.

Tennessee is an up and coming team that should be pretty good this year.

One of the main reasons why each team is doing well is that they weren't foolish enough to waste time/money on a worthless journeyman QB.

Just now, Mike135 said:

Houston was a playoff team and will be competing again for a playoff spot this season.

One of the main reasons why each team is doing well is that they weren't foolish enough to waste time/money on a worthless journeyman QB.

Exactly they know just what he is thats why he's no longer on all the teams he's been on.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Dude I'm eating lunch and trying to type you know what I'm saying and you dont like it. GFY

you would figure that I would know what you are talking about since you repeat the same 6 posts thousands of times, but you changed up with this one for some reason. atleast its baby steps

5 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Can't be bothered to go back and read this whol thread, but has anyone responded to the initial question with this hot take yet?

Maybe the Jets plan was to make Fitz an offer they felt was reasonable, not overpay, and if they couldn't get him for what they were comfortable with, go with Geno?

Has that possibility been explored?

I know the answer to this, but if I had to read this whole damn thread, so do you...  I'm not telling ya the answer.  B)

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Not going back ten years ago and last season plenty of good Qbs didn't make the playoffs. And there are good Qbs who have losing records and played on bad teams. 

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

if you say so, mike

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Not going back ten years ago and last season plenty of good Qbs didn't make the playoffs. And there are good Qbs who have losing records and played on bad teams. 

We had the easiest schedule in the league he sh*t the bed and choked in a game we should have won. 

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

What part do you disagree about?  

Is Houston not a playoff caliber team?

Is Tennessee not a good young team on the rise?

Didn't they both dump Fitz recently?

1. Houston 9-7 record. won 3 straight to get to that. one and done in the playoffs. should I even bring up they play in the afc south? the same division that was part of the jets weak schedule that enabled the lowly Fitzpatrick to win 10 games?

2. Tennessee is a team on the rise? I guess that holds some truth as they won 1 more game than they did the year before(2014 2-14, 2015 3-13).another member of the powerhouse known as the afc south. just like your boy geno, they have a lot of "rising" to do.

3. yes, they did. and fitz went on to have better seasons each and every time they dumped him

4 minutes ago, ylekram said:

1. Houston 9-7 record. won 3 straight to get to that. one and done in the playoffs. should I even bring up they play in the afc south? the same division that was part of the jets weak schedule that enabled the lowly Fitzpatrick to win 10 games?

2. Tennessee is a team on the rise? I guess that holds some truth as they won 1 more game than they did the year before(2014 2-14, 2015 3-13).another member of the powerhouse known as the afc south. just like your boy geno, they have a lot of "rising" to do.

3. yes, they did. and fitz went on to have better seasons each and every time they dumped him

Better season but not good enough, 

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

round and round we go. is fitz the answer? no. is he better than geno smith? yes. is he a lot better than geno smith? yes. could geno smith be better than ryan Fitzpatrick? yes. lets get to that point before we "gift" geno his 4th straight starting gig, shall we?

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

we are to believe than geno can and will improve just because? and even tho fitz has shown improvement over the past few years, we are to believe that he cannot improve upon that just because? do you not see the conflict there?

2 minutes ago, ylekram said:

round and round we go. is fitz the answer? no. is he better than geno smith? yes. is he a lot better than geno smith? yes. could geno smith be better than ryan Fitzpatrick? yes. lets get to that point before we "gift" geno his 4th straight starting gig, shall we?

We dont know this Geno never had an opportunity to play with such good coaches and good players.

1 minute ago, ylekram said:

we are to believe than geno can and will improve just because? and even tho fitz has shown improvement over the past few years, we are to believe that he cannot improve upon that just because? do you not see the conflict there?

Rex Ryan MM Clyde Gates and David Nelson all day hello 

3 hours ago, Keyshawn 19 said:

I don't think I'm wrong about Geno. He can only beat Miami in Miami. Sorry but we need more production that that. The guy looks clumsy in mechanics and the only person I've seen worst than him is our 2016 2nd round QB pick. If Bowles and Mac truly want to tank the season I would go with Petty before Geno. Let's see what we got with him as we have already seen what we have with Geno. People expecting Geno to turn into an all star are just not realistic. This is the Jets we don't get lucky with backup QB becoming stars. Well not since Matt Robinson in the late 70's.

We don't need him to be a star. We just need him to lead us to W's and the playoffs.

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I like Mac. Think he's great for the team and will only get better. I just don't think he can manipulate the human condition like Moriarty. There are two things I really like about Mac. 

He's a scout, and a pretty damn good one from what I've seen.

He knows what he doesn't know. He seems to be able to weed through advice and do a good job of deciding which advice to follow, then stick with it for the proper amount of time. He is certainly learning as he goes, but he's not floundering in the meantime. The fact that he hasn't really been groomed in the business end of things allows him to see a different perspective than our previous business majors and he is able to school some GMs. Marshall, Carpenter, and now hopefully Clady.

To be clear I still count myself as more of a Macc fan than not, and IF Fitzpatrick comes back I will be closer to I was before this off season began.

But... it's not just the Fitzpatrick impasse that is a concern.  Some think Wilkerson is the best player on the Jets right now.  To have the situation we are in now and how it has played out over the last two off seasons is not necessarily Macc's fault.  But no one can say it is to his credit, either.

Archived