Thoughts on Wilkersons new contract Posted on July 16, 2016 by Jason Fitzgerald

oc_jet

1 minute ago, slats said:

Lol, yeah, tough task. I get it. Be even harder to name nine better players under 30. Oh wait, that would be completely impossible. You're forgiven. 

you made the crazy claim first, back it up

Just now, Larz said:

you made the crazy claim first, back it up

And you poo-poo'd it. But I'll play. 

I said maybe the best player, because I get that this is a subjective thing. Other players in play would be Mo Wilk, Revis, Marshall, Mangold. And that's about it. The latter three all over 30. 

Your turn. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

And you poo-poo'd it. But I'll play. 

I said maybe the best player, because I get that this is a subjective thing. Other players in play would be Mo Wilk, Revis, Marshall, Mangold. And that's about it. The latter three all over 30. 

Your turn. 

fair enough

if you consider how unreliable and risky he is to go along with the youth he isn't all that awesome.  In madden he is much better deal but this isn't madden

I like reliable pros, so my list is

Mo, Revis,Brandon, Forte, Decker, Harris, Mangold

I think king Leo passes sheldon this year, but I can't put him ahead of him yet. I think calvin pryor is going to solidify his status this year as well.

so top 8 for now

On July 16, 2016 at 7:41 AM, LIJetsFan said:

This guy talks about the Jets botching it for the past two years.  News flash Jason, our GM has only been here for a year.  Further, he talks about how much $ would have been saved had Mo been signed two years ago or last year.  New flash Jason, we had Mo on the cheap rookie contract those years which gave us cap room to make other moves.  So at worst that is a wash.  

I really hate these beat writers who take a one sided approach.  Otherwise, not a bad article Jason :)      

You are correct. Mo plated for $7M last year.

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

fair enough

if you consider how unreliable and risky he is to go along with the youth he isn't all that awesome.  In madden he is much better deal but this isn't madden

I like reliable pros, so my list is

Mo, Revis,Brandon, Forte, Decker, Harris, Mangold

I think king Leo passes sheldon this year, but I can't put him ahead of him yet. I think calvin pryor is going to solidify his status this year as well.

so top 8 for now

Sheldon has been 100% clean since the car chase incident. Young and dumb, but move on-able. You added two more thirty-pluses and a 29 & a half year old to my list of maybes. And Decker, Harris, or Forte as really better than Sheldon? Start a poll if you want man, but I say, "no way." 

Arguably the best player on the team. I'll stand by that. 

49 minutes ago, slats said:

Sheldon has been 100% clean since the car chase incident. Young and dumb, but move on-able. You added two more thirty-pluses and a 29 & a half year old to my list of maybes. And Decker, Harris, or Forte as really better than Sheldon? Start a poll if you want man, but I say, "no way." 

Arguably the best player on the team. I'll stand by that. 

they are reliable and productive pros.  that's what matters to me.  I don't like players that may or may not be available because of their own stupidity

don't forget the arrest was because he decided to react to his suspension for smoking weed by buying a $250,000 car, smoking more weed and driving really fast and never told the team about it

you still haven't made a case for why he is arguable the best player except his age.  by that standard you can put king Leo ahead of him

On July 16, 2016 at 8:15 AM, KRL said:

Fair critique of the situation.  But the person who really blew it was Idzik.  If he
was forward thinking he should've given Wilkerson an extension after the 2013 season.
We had a ton of cap space and Wilkerson was under control for 2014 & 2015.  Idzik
should've "tacked" on 3 years (3 yrs. $36 million, 18 guaranteed?) to the back end of
the deal and saved us millions 

And ironically while Idzick was a talent evaluation disaster, cap management was supposed to be his strong suit. But he couldn't even do that . 

For comparison sake, this contract makes Mo the 5th highest defensive player, and the 25th highest player overall. 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

they are reliable and productive pros.  that's what matters to me.  I don't like players that may or may not be available because of their own stupidity

don't forget the arrest was because he decided to react to his suspension for smoking weed by buying a $250,000 car, smoking more weed and driving really fast and never told the team about it

you still haven't made a case for why he is arguable the best player except his age.  by that standard you can put king Leo ahead of him

I threw a handful of names into the list who might qualify as "best." You added lesser names. I don't worry about his transgressions, because I believe he's moved on from them - based on the fact that there have been zero new incidents since the infamous car chase. He was contrite and regretful after that incident, and has -so far- been clean. Judging him based on his past misdeeds seems to me to be stupid because he's a great football player. 

And that would be my argument for why he's in the conversation as the best Jets player: he's a great football player. Being a great young football player absolutely adds to his value. 

25 minutes ago, Xtina said:

Fair critique of the situation.  But the person who really blew it was Idzik.  If he
was forward thinking he should've given Wilkerson an extension after the 2013 season.
We had a ton of cap space and Wilkerson was under control for 2014 & 2015.  Idzik
should've "tacked" on 3 years (3 yrs. $36 million, 18 guaranteed?) to the back end of
the deal and saved us millions 

Nobody blew anything. Teams don't renegotiate player contracts with 2 years remaining unless forced to under a possible hold out situation and Wilkerson wasn't looking for a new contract because he hadn't established himself  yet. With the signing of Wilkerson, I have to say that the Jets played this out masterfully . The Jets and Wilkerson didn't get into a bitter hassle and Wilkerson handled himself with class. 

If you look at it open-mindedly, The Jets put Wilkerson in a position where he either had to sign with them or the team would get 2 1st round picks for him if someone signed him . When you're building a team, that's good strategic planning . Like I said in another post, next up is Richardson, and I hope we use a similar plan if he keeps his nose clean and his on field production increases.

If I can get 2 1st round picks for a star player at a stacked position and save a ton of cap space, I do it in a New York minute .   

16 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Richardson should be the odd man out of the D-Line group anyway.  Immature,  entitled, volatile, and probably stupid.  Wilk is none of those things.

Who served more time in high school detention, Sheldon or Percy Harvin?

On 7/16/2016 at 6:41 AM, LIJetsFan said:

This guy talks about the Jets botching it for the past two years.  News flash Jason, our GM has only been here for a year.  Further, he talks about how much $ would have been saved had Mo been signed two years ago or last year.  New flash Jason, we had Mo on the cheap rookie contract those years which gave us cap room to make other moves.  So at worst that is a wash.  

I really hate these beat writers who take a one sided approach.  Otherwise, not a bad article Jason :)      

I don't really disagree with what he is saying.   But it's Idzik messing up and Mac trying to make the best of a bad situation.  As for saving money, it could have been an extension added on to his rookie deal, not tearing up his rookie deal. 

It's a fair contract, just expensive.  Good players cost money.

Archived