Revis to safety ?.. in future ? ? ?

kelly

-- Darrelle Revis apparently has considered his own mortality as a cornerback.

The New York Jets' star, usually sensitive to questions about whether his game is declining, sounded open Thursday to the possibility of moving to safety in the future. He made an unsolicited comment in an interview with WFAN radio.

Some perspective: Revis, who turned 31 last month, is one of the most accomplished cornerbacks of this generation -- a seven-time Pro Bowl selection. This wasn't the first time he publicly discussed the notion of switching positions.In an interview last week with ESPN New York 98.7 FM, Revis was asked about safety and he said, "It's something I'd want to gravitate to. It's definitely a conversation."Revis told co-hosts Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton that he still can play corner "at a high level," but he added: "There's probably a conversation in the future regarding me maybe moving my position, maybe to safety or doing some other things."

General manager Mike Maccagnan, speaking later on WFAN, said, "Darrelle is a pro. He understands himself. Those are questions far down the road." Maccagnan added that "it's not outside the realm of possibility," noting that other star cornerbacks have made successful conversions to safety.Revis showed some signs of slippage last season, but he was hampered by a painful wrist injury, it was revealed after the season. He had surgery in March to repair a torn tendon, acknowledging Thursday it affected his ability to jam receivers at the line of scrimmage. He's still not 100 percent, as he continues the rehab process. He has played only a handful of snaps in training camp as part of his rehab regimen.

The Jets signed Revis to a five-year, $70 million contract, expecting him to be a shutdown corner. He's due to make $17 million this season, fully guaranteed. His salary dips to $13 million next year (only $6 million guaranteed), plus a $2 million roster bonus.Revis' comment about moving to safety was a surprise, because he usually deflects questions about his 2015 performance -- or simply bristles. On Wednesday, he chided a reporter, saying, "Don't call me slow."

He wouldn't be the first great corner to make the change. Hall of Famer Rod Woodson did it, and so did future Hall of Famer Charles Woodson.

>   http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/61769/jets-cb-darrelle-revis-mentions-possibility-of-moving-to-safety-in-future

15 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Funny that Revis makes this comment the DAY AFTER a safety Matheus signs the largest contract ever for a safety, lol.

Revis LOVES that new starting point.

I think he has a great point here. We all know how much Darrelle loves money. But it also sounds like a player who realizes his skills will diminish. And wants to have a career like Woodson did after he can no longer be a cover corner. But would DR be willing to  renegotiate his 5 year deal if he switches during his contract. Not even a whisper of him being wiling to restructure this year even though the team really needed it. And he has the most over the top contract on the Jets and one of the worst in the NFL.

— Marcus Gilchrist knows a lot about cornerbacks. Marcus Gilchrist knows a lot about safeties. 

In high school, he played both. His first two years at Clemson, he was a cornerback. As a junior, a safety. As a senior, a cornerback. He started his NFL career with the Chargers as a corner, then moved to safety. He signed with the Jets last year to be a safety.

Reiterating : Marcus Gilchrist knows a lot about cornerbacks and safeties.

So, does he think Darrelle Revis can go from the outside to centerfield ?

"Oh, no doubt," Gilchrist told NJ Advance Media on Thursday. "He already tackles like a safety. At practice, he's on everything. No doubt he can make the transition."

Revis potentially changing his position has been a hot topic as of late. Critics have started to wonder if he's lost a step, and their argument isn't an egregious one. The tape a season ago shows Revis struggled against some of the league's younger receivers. The Jaguars' Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns took turns beating him Week 8. The Texans' DeAndre Hopkins found success Week 11. The Bills' Sammy Watkins dominated him Week 17.

Now a year older, was last season the beginning of the end for Revis?

"Me personally? No, I don't think he lost a step," Gilchrist said. "This is the world we live in. The game we play. Sometimes, it happens. You get beat. You move on. He's fine as a cornerback. As of right now, he still does it at a high level."The Jets and Revis both agree with Gilchrist's assertation. They've made it known there will be no position change this season. With that being said, it hasn't been ruled out for the future. In an interview with WFAN on Thursday, Revis said those "conversations" were coming.

So, what can Revis expect when/if the time comes to make the switch? Gilchrist said it won't be easier on his body. In fact, playing safety is much, much more physically demanding. When positioned outside, the primary goal of a cornerback is to cover a receiver. That's only part of the job as a safety. Gilchrist's game-day tasks include guarding tight ends and slot wideouts, playing in the box, tackling running backs, and eating up blocks from offensive linemen and fullbacks. It's physical. And if you don't like being physical, well, Gilchrist said you aren't going to like playing safety.

To put things in perspective, Gilchrist had 82 tackles as a safety last year. Revis had 39 as a cornerback.

"You're banging more, taking on blocks and tackling," Gilchrist said. "It's a completely different mindset to go from covering all the time, to only doing it part time."According to Gilchrist, any player can make the change to safety, but it takes a special kind of player to do it successfully.

After playing with Revis all of last year, he's confident No. 24 is the latter.

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/jets_marcus_gilchrist_has_no_doubt_darrelle_revis.html#incart_river_index

53 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think he has a great point here. We all know how much Darrelle loves money. But it also sounds like a player who realizes his skills will diminish. And wants to have a career like Woodson did after he can no longer be a cover corner. But would DR be willing to  renegotiate his 5 year deal if he switches during his contract. Not even a whisper of him being wiling to restructure this year even though the team really needed it. And he has the most over the top contract on the Jets and one of the worst in the NFL.

The Jets don't want to re-structure Revis, IMO. His contract is front-loaded. As I understand it, after 2017 his cap hit goes down from 15.3mil to 10.8mil and the dead money goes down from 7mil to 1.6mil. The drop in dead cap is the key here. It means they can cut him or trade him, free up 10mil in cap and take on relatively little dead money. 

Restructuring his contract would either mean extending him or moving money back (including guaranteed money)- which would hurt the Jets cap in 2018.

And guess who's a FA in 2018- Sheldon Richardson. Cutting Revis in 2018 could literally be the difference between having a viable shot at retaining Richardson or not. 

I know Macc gets some flak for giving Revis all this money. But he structured his contract in a smart way, as he does with most contracts. This is why I love Macc. He has an eye for talent (being a former scout), he knows how to handle the money side (contracts), and he has shown that he has a knack for shrewd trades.    

12 minutes ago, PepPep said:

The Jets don't want to re-structure Revis, IMO. His contract is front-loaded. As I understand it, after 2017 his cap hit goes down from 15.3mil to 10.8mil and the dead money goes down from 7mil to 1.6mil. The drop in dead cap is the key here. It means they can cut him or trade him, free up 10mil in cap and take on relatively little dead money. 

Restructuring his contract would either mean extending him or moving money back (including guaranteed money)- which would hurt the Jets cap in 2018.

And guess who's a FA in 2018- Sheldon Richardson. Cutting Revis in 2018 could literally be the difference between having a viable shot at retaining Richardson or not. 

I know Macc gets some flak for giving Revis all this money. But he structured his contract in a smart way, as he does with most contracts. This is why I love Macc. He has an eye for talent (being a former scout), he knows how to handle the money side (contracts), and he has shown that he has a knack for shrewd trades.    

Isn't he due 15 mil in terms of salary in 2017. But if they cut him he still gets 7 mil. So unless he falls off of the face of the earth in terms of performance wouldn't they want to keep him and pay the oomplete 15 rather than pay 7 for nothing. It would cost them an extra 8 mil to keep Revis on the roster which is probably worth it. As for him restructuring I'm not an expert on this but I'm sure there is a way he could stay and make it more team friendly. Maybe he would since he recently fired his agents. 

Absolutely shocked that he is even co sidering this. Given how much money he had made and will have made by the end of this current contract, I thought for sure that Revis would have retired the second he was no longer an elite corner back. 

If he actually wants to play longer, switching to safety, and wants to retire a Jet, and help win us a championship, then I am definitely shocked and pleased.

Would I love to have Revis in a Jets uni the rest of his career. The answer is YES. Do I want to pay him way over market. NO. If he transitions to a safety in the future it's good for the team and for him. We'll see how 2016 goes and if he can cover young fast receivers. If he can't he's not elite anymore like he wasn't in 2015. He's just really good and the smartest player on the field. We could use that but not for 17 mil. Or even when it goes down to 10 in two years. But at least the 10 is somewhat logical. A great structured contract by the Revis team to make it hard to cut the guy in the future.; Of course in the past when he was in the lower paying years of front loaded deals he held out. I doubt he would try that again. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Isn't he due 15 mil in terms of salary in 2017. But if they cut him he still gets 7 mil. So unless he falls off of the face of the earth in terms of performance wouldn't they want to keep him and pay the oomplete 15 rather than pay 7 for nothing. It would cost them an extra 8 mil to keep Revis on the roster which is probably worth it. As for him restructuring I'm not an expert on this but I'm sure there is a way he could stay and make it more team friendly. Maybe he would since he recently fired his agents. 

Right. I'm talking about 2018. 2017 makes sense to keep him. And even 2018 it might make sense (depening on how good he still is)- if not for Richardson being a FA. 

Yes, you can definitely restructure in a way that would make the deal more team friendly overall. But it will involve taking a hefty pay cut and/or extending the contract. I doubt Revis gives in to a pay cut and I don't nec. want to spread money out on an extension, committing to Revis for another 4 years.  

best player in Jets history, I hope he is here for the rest of his career and somewhere down the road he may have to move to safety if he wants to keep playing but for now he still plays CB at a very high level so it's not really a thought.

15 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Right. I'm talking about 2018. 2017 makes sense to keep him. And even 2018 it might make sense (depening on how good he still is)- if not for Richardson being a FA. 

Yes, you can definitely restructure in a way that would make the deal more team friendly overall. But it will involve taking a hefty pay cut and/or extending the contract. I doubt Revis gives in to a pay cut and I don't nec. want to spread money out on an extension, committing to Revis for another 4 years.  

He's due around 10.8 mil for years 4 and 5 of his contract. He might end up being worth that amount even as a safety.http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/darrelle-revis/ So the way his agents structured his deal is kind of brilliant. As for the team not brilliant. He could be here for his entire contract and make the entire 70 mil. Of course in the past when he's had a front loaded contract he held out. But he was younger and had more value then. Switching to safety in years 4 and 5 is a good way of sticking around and making that money. 

22 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

He's due around 10.8 mil for years 4 and 5 of his contract. He might end up being worth that amount even as a safety.http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/darrelle-revis/ So the way his agents structured his deal is kind of brilliant. As for the team not brilliant. He could be here for his entire contract and make the entire 70 mil. Of course in the past when he's had a front loaded contract he held out. But he was younger and had more value then. Switching to safety in years 4 and 5 is a good way of sticking around and making that money. 

Right. But year 4 and 5 is also where the Jets can cut or trade him without taking on much dead money. So I'm not sure why its not 'brilliant' for the team as well- its really a win-win. The only way its not is if Revis remains a top tier CB and decides to hold out, in which case the team finds itself in a position where letting him go hurts the team but him holding out forces their hand to pay him more. But by then, at 33/34yrs old, I just don't see Revis having that leverage.  

Switching to safety is also not purely his decision. He has to show he can actually play safety. And there has to be a vacancy where Revis is an upgrade. And yes, he has to be worth the money playing that position. And the coach has to pretty much sign off, etc., etc. not every player an make that transition. To be fair though, I actually believe Revis could.

The other point I was bringing up is that Richardson is a FA in 2018. So while we can talk about Revis moving to safety and being worth the money, the Jets might just want to clear cap and bring back Richardson- plain and simple. An extra 10mil off the books will go a long way in doing that.   

18 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Right. But year 4 and 5 is also where the Jets can cut or trade him without taking on much dead money. So I'm not sure why its not 'brilliant' for the team as well- its really a win-win. The only way its not is if Revis remains a top tier CB and decides to hold out, in which case the team finds itself in a position where letting him go hurts the team but him holding out forces their hand to pay him more. But by then, at 33/34yrs old, I just don't see Revis having that leverage.  

Switching to safety is also not purely his decision. He has to show he can actually play safety. And there has to be a vacancy where Revis is an upgrade. And yes, he has to be worth the money playing that position. And the coach has to pretty much sign off, etc., etc. not every player an make that transition. To be fair though, I actually believe Revis could.

The other point I was bringing up is that Richardson is a FA in 2018. So while we can talk about Revis moving to safety and being worth the money, the Jets might just want to clear cap and bring back Richardson- plain and simple. An extra 10mil off the books will go a long way in doing that.   

The reason it's not brilliant for the team is mostly paying him 17 mil per season the first two years and then 15 in year 3. Which is way above market for a CB esp in terms of guaranteed money. And the player isn't at that level at his position anymore. And years 4 and 5 are good money for an older Revis and probably worth it to the team. If he regresses then since his guaranteed money is off the books they can cut him. He's basically making himself marketable in years 4 and 5. 

Archived