Jets 2016 Season Predictions Thread

T0mShane

Your guess as to the Jets 2016-17 record  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Season record for the 2016 Jets

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes, but rebuilding incorrectly since I became a fan in 1980.

Let's look at the Woody Johnson era, since 2000 every time we say we are in a rebuild coming off of a losing season we bring in a new head coach, we patch together a team just hoping to go 6-10, and we wind up going 10-6 and making the playoffs.  Now, on paper that sounds good, right?  Why not have a group of young overachievers getting some great postseason experience, awesome.

Except that's not what happens. 

Each and every time we have a successful Year 1, the rebuild gets cancelled, we load up on old free agents, we declare ourselves a win-now team, and we crap the bed.  Then we're in limbo.  No talent from the draft we just traded away, no new free agents because the ones from last year were so expensive, Year 2 we take a step back.  By Year 3 we are at a crossroads.  Hey, the new HC got us to the playoffs in his first year so he must be good, right?  Hey, let's draft two quarterbacks and start one, right?  Oh, better get an experienced veteran QB in here, right?

What I like about Maccagnan is that we are rebuilding the right way, finally.  The biggest win this franchise has had in the past 15 years is the cut down to 53.  Why?  Because as of Saturday we are starting more young players than any other team in the NFL despite this "win now" attitude and despite the veteran core of Marshall/Decker/Revis/Mangold who might be upset.  I am sooooo happy that we are chock-full of young players, I could care less if we go 5-11 this year, we have already had a great season.

SAR I

5-11 with a veteran QB who many has said has great success in the NFL  

I call that FAILURE 

joewilly12 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we'll do too well.

Right side of OL is atrocious, and will get both our running and passing games killed. TEs are non-existent. LBs are slow, unproven, or both. CBs outside of Revis are turrible.

We certainly have many positives, but the CBs, LBs, and RG/RT will get us killed.

34 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Let's look at the Woody Johnson era, since 2000 every time we say we are in a rebuild coming off of a losing season we bring in a new head coach, we patch together a team just hoping to go 6-10, and we wind up going 10-6 and making the playoffs.  Now, on paper that sounds good, right?  Why not have a group of young overachievers getting some great postseason experience, awesome.

Each and every time we have a successful Year 1, the rebuild gets cancelled, we load up on old free agents, we declare ourselves a win-now team, and we crap the bed.  Then we're in limbo.  No talent from the draft we just traded away, no new free agents because the ones from last year were so expensive, Year 2 we take a step back.  By Year 3 we are at a crossroads.  Hey, the new HC got us to the playoffs in his first year so he must be good, right?  Hey, let's draft two quarterbacks and start one, right?  Oh, better get an experienced veteran QB in here, right?

What I like about Maccagnan is that we are rebuilding the right way, finally.  The biggest win this franchise has had in the past 15 years is the cut down to 53.  Why?  Because as of Saturday we are starting more young players than any other team in the NFL despite this "win now" attitude and despite the veteran core of Marshall/Decker/Revis/Mangold who might be upset.  I am sooooo happy that we are chock-full of young players, I could care less if we go 5-11 this year, we have already had a great season.

SAR I

Agreed.  The fans who want to be 9-7 dont get this. 9-7  gets you a 15th pick in round 1.  We need a good GM with a 3 year plan.  5 years of no playoffs, we are startung to look like the Jets of 1987 to 1996.

50 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I agree with a lot of this. It makes the decisions to pay Fitzpatrick for one year and retain Geno a little head-scratching, however. To me, anyway. 

I like that the cuts were pretty cold-blooded. Whether it was merit based, character based, or whatever, they clearly had criteria that needed to be met in order to retain a player - and their former draft status, or free agent status, didn't come into play (some will argue, outside of Hackenberg). I'm hoping Bowles operates the same way during the season, seating people who should be sat. One of my criticisms last season was his leaning too much on his vets, a la Parcells. 

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

5-11 with a veteran QB who many has said has great success in the NFL  

I call that FAILURE 

joewilly12 

Stop please, don't make this into a "support Geno by slighting Fitzpatrick" tangent.  I thought we smoked that peace pipe and buried that hatchet on Saturday.

My point is that we simply need to stay the course of the rebuild no matter what our record was last year or how optimistic some fans are.  I am very happy that Maccagnan did the right thing, brought in some one-year fixes and didn't overspend the savings account, the idea is to build a team that is set for a long run and not some "3 years or I'm fired" concept like the last regimes since Woody Johnson bought the team.

So, yes, 5-11 can still be a great season if it means we've validated young players (Lee, Petty, Hackenberg, Burris, Williams) and have positioned ourselves for a good draft position next season.  Until Tom Brady shows signs of losing his touch there is no chance the Jets win a division or a Super Bowl.  It's not about 2016.  It's about 2017, 2018, 2019 by which Brady and Bellichick will be retired and the 1 team in the AFC East that's ready to take control needs to be us.

SAR I

40 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Stop please, don't make this into a "support Geno by slighting Fitzpatrick" tangent.  I thought we smoked that peace pipe and buried that hatchet on Saturday.

My point is that we simply need to stay the course of the rebuild no matter what our record was last year or how optimistic some fans are.  I am very happy that Maccagnan did the right thing, brought in some one-year fixes and didn't overspend the savings account, the idea is to build a team that is set for a long run and not some "3 years or I'm fired" concept like the last regimes since Woody Johnson bought the team.

So, yes, 5-11 can still be a great season if it means we've validated young players (Lee, Petty, Hackenberg, Burris, Williams) and have positioned ourselves for a good draft position next season.  Until Tom Brady shows signs of losing his touch there is no chance the Jets win a division or a Super Bowl.  It's not about 2016.  It's about 2017, 2018, 2019 by which Brady and Bellichick will be retired and the 1 team in the AFC East that's ready to take control needs to be us.

SAR I

SAR I in case you haven't noticed New England is on the demise as we speak they are scrambling to fill roster spots Brady is suspended they dont have a legitimate running game their defense decimated with injuries and suspensions. 

The time is now to overtake the Patriots in the AFC East I hope our 34 yr old journeyman QB is up to the task. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

SAR I in case you haven't noticed New England is on the demise as we speak they are scrambling to fill roster spots Brady is suspended they dont have a legitimate running game their defense decimated with injuries and suspensions. 

The time is now to overtake the Patriots in the AFC East I hope our 34 yr old journeyman QB is up to the task. 

I've heard it (or thought it) before and each time the Patriots win 12, 13, or 14 games.  It's not over until the twin B's are retired.

And even if this was the year that B&B step back, pundits and handicappers have the Jets as an underdog in our first 6 games, even the home opener we get 3 points from Vegas.  Prepare yourself for a 1-5 or 2-4 start so you're not devastated by a must-win game against Baltimore on Halloween, the Patriots record will be the last thing on your mind by then.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I've heard it (or thought it) before and each time the Patriots win 12, 13, or 14 games.  It's not over until the twin B's are retired.

And even if this was the year that B&B step back, pundits and handicappers have the Jets as an underdog in our first 6 games, even the home opener we get 3 points from Vegas.  Prepare yourself for a 1-5 or 2-4 start so you're not devastated by a must-win game against Baltimore on Halloween, the Patriots record will be the last thing on your mind by then.

SAR I

Been there done that SAR I I attended every home game and stayed until the end the year they went 1-15 under Kotite I hope you do the same. 

Its been 47 years and counting I'm buckled in for the ride win or lose and will die a NY Jets fan I have requested the Jets emblem on my tombstone. 

Its all good football is back thats all that matters it would be nice to win it again though. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Been there done that SAR I I attended every home game and stayed until the end the year they went 1-15 under Kotite I hope you do the same. 

Its been 47 years and counting I'm buckled in for the ride win or lose and will die a NY Jets fan I have requested the Jets emblem on my tombstone. 

Its all good football is back thats all that matters it would be nice to win it again though. 

Agree 200%.  Just saying that it's more important that we stay the course of the rebuild with an eye on 2018 when B&B are retired rather than spend precious cap dollars chasing ghosts in 2016.

All that matters in life right now is that the New York Jets are the team that's best prepared to win the AFC East in two years when the decks are cleared and the HOF QB and HC are drinking frozen daiquiris in Spain.  Everything else between now and then is preparation, some entertainment now and then for the fans.

SAR I

Archived