Buster Skrine Restructured

CrazyCarl40

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He has, in fact, been annually one of the worst cover corners in the league, based on stats. He was used and abused most of the season last year and while in Cleveland.

you sure those werent "advanced" stats you were looking at? ^_^

Pro Football Focus is nonsense.  I understand why people use it because there are so many players and "experts"

want to sound intelligent when giving "analysis".  But for a player on your own team your eyes are your best indicator on 

whether he is good or bad

I thought Skrine played well early in the season then disappeared later.  But he certainly wasn't among the worst slot corners in the league.  Carl is just mad that Darrin Walls was let go. 

With as difficult as the slot corner position is (arguably the toughest spot on the defense), it's very difficult to use advanced analytics to define the best and worst at the position.  I'll trust Macc and Bowles over PFF.

16 minutes ago, KRL said:

Pro Football Focus is nonsense.  I understand why people use it because there are so many players and "experts"

want to sound intelligent about a player.  But for a player on your own team your eyes are your best indicator on 

whether someone is good or bad

NBC Sports used their player rankings from 2015 on their info graphics last night. Doesn't seem like nonsense to them. And going by my own eyes, Skrine was burned more times last year for TDs than any other Jets corner.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I thought Skrine played well early in the season then disappeared later.  But he certainly wasn't among the worst slot corners in the league.  Carl is just mad that Darrin Walls was let go. 

With as difficult as the slot corner position is (arguably the toughest spot on the defense), it's very difficult to use advanced analytics to define the best and worst at the position.  I'll trust Macc and Bowles over PFF.

He flashed on a couple of blitzes. His job is to cover wide receivers. He is bad at that job. And the DW has nothing to do with how bad Skrine was last season. The CB spot on this team is atrocious after Revis. I'm sure we'll see that play out over the course of this season.

7 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

While I agree Skrine seems like a weird option, with today's rolling cap, it doesn't really make any difference who you restructure, as long as it ends up being the same amount of money that is getting moved around.  All they're really doing here is borrowing some money from the next two years.  If they don't end up using it, it'll roll into next year anyway, so no real harm done.

The only thing that really needs to be considered with moves like this is making sure you only do this with players you are 100% certain will be on the roster throughout the entire season, without any chance of being cut, otherwise you just handed over money you wouldn't have paid otherwise.  Considering that Skrine has enough years to be a vested veteran, that would only really be a concern if they plan on cutting him in the next two days.

So what your saying is there is s chance?

Archived