Chan Gailey's #1 Top10Draft Pick RB Spiller available

Gas2No99

Saints released RB C.J. Spiller.

Signed to a "four-year, $16 million" deal in March 2015, the writing has been on the wall for Spiller in New Orleans since pretty much his first game. Brutally ineffective and in the doghouse last season, Spiller got showcased for a trade this summer before being a healthy scratch for Week 1. He simply never meshed with coach Sean Payton and Drew Brees' offense. Spiller is an on-paper home run hitter, but now 29 with just 776 yards from scrimmage over the past two seasons. He'll get another chance, but will be on a short leash.

Sep 13 - 5:26 PM

We don't need another shifty RB that can catch passes out of the backfield.  We needed the guy that Robinson was going to be before getting injured.  No one is talking about it but that really hurt us last week as he would have been the guy getting handoffs in the red zone instead of that Fitz fake where he dove head first risking injury.  again.

I like the theory that he could thrive in the Gailey system, but how do we know the 2012 Spiller is anything like the 2016 Spiller?  Is he really better than Bilal Powell in that role?

Sean Payton is a good offensive coach, if this guy couldn't get anything out of Spiller I think he may be done.

I'd rather sign someone like Karlos Williams who could at least add a goal line dimension to the offense.

Archived