What prevents us going with Petty and Hack in 2017 as #1 and #2?

Fibonacci

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

If Fitz threw that same 1st play from scrimmage pick, fans would want to burn this place to the ground 

and if it were any team but SF It would have been game over. People talk about why didn't they start pEtty vs NE, that throw is exactly why. 

I guess my point is to all the people who think Bowles can't set a depth chart, there's a fine line between developing a player and ruining him. 

Difference is that FItz and Geno had ample opportunity to prove to the world that they could learn from making those types of mistakes (hint: they didn't) while Petty still has the chance to do so. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Petty - Hack - Draft Pick 2017

Bingo. Drafting QB's is like playing scratch-offs. Everyone that's drafted is like buying a ticket. Yes, the vast majority will be losers but the more tickets you have, the more chance you have of finding a winner. Unfortunately GM's and fans would rather take a ticket that's already been scratched off and pays $5 (a known vet) rather than to go for the $1,000 prize. 

19 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

Besides PSL owners and STH's who will be mad if we dedicate next year to see what we have in 2 young QB's? It is not like Jets are a perennial play off team. Let's dedicate next year to get rid of bloated vet contracts and to see what we have in these young QB's. Ride Petty first. See if he develops nicely. If he shows any hope, keep playing him. Say he sucks balls week after week. Bring along Hack and give him some game experience. Why spend another year with a vet QB? Thoughts?

I'm a PSL owner, I have no issue going with Petty & Hack next season.

I thought Petty looked ok yesterday. He's inexperienced and playing in a terrible team who are low on confidence. I know SF are awful but everyone's gotta start somewhere, right? I'm not sure many QB would have come into that side yesterday and excelled themselves..

IMO to come back from that horrible pick so early on in the way that he did, hopefully says a lot about his character. I know he wasn't perfect but a lot of players with far more experience than him may have crumbled under the pressure.

Its clear that the Jets are currently a considerable distance away from being a playoff team and it doesn't seem to me that there is any quick fix. For what it's worth, I'd give Petty the starting spot next season and see if Fitz can stay around on a vastly reduced salary to play backup or 3rd choice behind Hack but with a remit to help the other two develop. He's worked with them both already, Petty has said how much Fitz has been helping him and surely he won't be negotiating any new contract from a position of strength this time around?

By the time the 2018 draft comes, they'd have sussed out Petty one way or another and can draft a QB at that stage if needs be. By then, the likes of Powell, Enunwa, Lee, Williams maybe Anderson will be another year on and more influential, hopefully they'd have added some quality in the 2017 draft too and perhaps then they'll have the nucleus of a decent side. 

My knowledge isn't a tenth of most of the people on here so sorry if this offends but it's just the way I see it.

I can see both sides of going or not going with just Petty and Hack.

On one hand, Petty goes down with a season ending injury in the first half of Game 1 2017.

That leave Hack as the starter, without any prior regular season experience and no Vet backup that's been on the roster in camp.

On the other hand, you see what happens with Dak Prescott and with Hack in his 2nd year think that he should be able to handle the #2 and step up and contribute if required.

I honestly don't know. But as of right now I'd go with just Petty and Hack. Caveat being if Glennon is a realistic chance of being landed I'd add him too.

Archived