Contract Expired - The End Of Ryan Fitzpatrick

SAR I

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

And you said the season was lost before it started.  Not getting that from 8-8 or 9-7 predictions.  9-7 is a playoff record more times than not, 8-8 says you're in the hunt.  Both far from lost seasons.  

I say it's over, let's just take the beers and move on. 

Yes, I had the season lost before it started.  Not proud of that fact, wish it were different, but I got it right.

Yes, beers and moving on is appropriate at this point.  Cheers.

SAR I

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

I think they would have been happier going 5-11 if there were fewer blowouts.

Gotcha. 

For me, it's not about blowouts.  Rather it was seeing what we looked like against playoff caliber opponents, seeing the team quit on Bowles, and watching team leaders check out before Thanksgiving.  That wasn't a perception, that was an awful reality.

SAR I

Adding in lost fumbles, Geno is as much of a turnover machine as Fitz is.  Factoring in his team mates hated him, Geno not coming back should be celebrated as much as Fitz not coming back.

Its hard to fathom how much time we spent arguing over the worst starter VS the best back-up, lol

Just now, SAR I said:

Gotcha. 

For me, it's not about blowouts.  Rather it was seeing what we looked like against playoff caliber opponents, seeing the team quit on Bowles, and watching team leaders check out before Thanksgiving.  That wasn't a perception, that was an awful reality.

SAR I

The only game that I can legitimately say they quit on Todd Bowles is the Colts game.  

The other games are harder to judge because the Dolphins and Pats were much better and healthier

Adding in lost fumbles, Geno is as much of a turnover machine as Fitz is.  Factoring in his team mates hated him, Geno not coming back should be celebrated as much as Fitz not coming back.

Its hard to fathom how much time we spent arguing over the worst starter VS the best back-up, lol

.... and so is D Watson ! I'm praying we pass on him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gotcha. 

SAR I

A great deal of the team quit after the 6 pick debacle by Futz in KC. Even Revis knew this was a joke and packed it in. He probably made 1 more tackle the rest of the season

Just now, Jetdawgg said:

A great deal of the team quit after the 6 pick debacle by Futz in KC. Even Revis knew this was a joke and packed it in. He probably made 1 more tackle the rest of the season

I can't fully buy that because I don't think you can turn it back on once you pack it in. And they did try again

6 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

You can categorize things to fit your narrative all you desire. The fact is that Futz should have never been signed after May 2016 for ANY amount of money. Macc lost the tam and the season right there. Bowles then gave the job to him on PS eve without any work effort. 

Typical of the Jets to do some stupid sh1t like that and for th fans here to fall for that crap. 

So you think Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, and Quincy Enunwa coming off of career years wanted to see their quarterback jettisoned and Geno Smith of all people put in his place?

That's not narrative shaping.  That's a question.  Answer it.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Geno is a 2nd round draft pick with starting experience. Keeping Petty a 4th round pick is a worse move.

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

I took a few months off in the offseason, didn't check in on JN much in April or May.  When I came back in June or July and saw all this pro-Geno talk I thought it was a gag, I thought it was terrific satire.

And then I learned that it was on the level.  Still can't fathom it.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I did in the other thread , but I will do so.

Style: Blowouts, team quitting, late to meetings etc.

Substance: Went 5-11 with no QB, a meh defense statistically and a ton of injuries.

The message is still the same. The team sucked. BUT the level of suckiness is overblown here

You are starting to sound like that absurd hypnotist in "The Natural."  "Losing is a disease, but, ah yes, it's curable." 

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

So you think Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, and Quincy Enunwa coming off of career years wanted to see their quarterback jettisoned and Geno Smith of all people put in his place?

SAR I

Your previous post was narrative shaping. Decker and BM both wanted Futz. The Q is an unknown factor to me. Marshall and Decker should both be traded because of their GM accountability. The answers were as obvious as your thick headed ness regarding Futz. All wrong

Just now, Larz said:

ok, lets flush that out.  What kind of offer do you make to Geno?

2 year deal $7MM per with incentives for playing time, numbers and playoffs if he wins the starters job. Same for Kaepernick. Smith is coming off of an injury. Kaepernick is coming off of a self inflicted wound. Trade Petty. Get what you can. Give Hack reps and practice time this season.

2 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Your previous post was narrative shaping. Decker and BM both wanted Futz. The Q is an unknown factor to me. Marshall and Decker should both be traded because of their GM accountability. The answers were as obvious as your thick headed ness regarding Futz. All wrong

I have no thickheadedness towards Fitzpatrick.  I know who he is.  Completely surprised at his 2015, completely expected his 2016.

It was worth the diceroll last summer though.  Geno Smith is that bad.

SAR I

1 minute ago, Jetdawgg said:

2 year deal $7MM per with incentives for playing time, numbers and playoffs if he wins the starters job. Same for Kaepernick. Smith is coming off of an injury. Kaepernick is coming off of a self inflicted wound. Trade Petty. Get what you can. Give Hack reps and practice time this season.

as his agent I would like to remind you that starter money starts at $12 million and you can't expect my client to compete with a player your own coach said can't hit the ocean, and a 3rd string QB that came in and stunk last season

please don't insult me

9 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I can't fully buy that because I don't think you can turn it back on once you pack it in. And they did try again

The team was 1 and 1. The loss was a close game. Seeing that the HC did not protect his QB was telling to a lot of the vets. Some of the younger NYJ grew up with Smith. 

I have no thickheadedness towards Fitzpatrick.  I know who he is.  Completely surprised at his 2015, completely expected his 2016.

It was worth the diceroll last summer though.  Geno Smith is that bad.

SAR I

Again, not after May 2016

1 minute ago, Larz said:

as his agent I would like to remind you that starter money starts at $12 million and you can't expect my client to compete with a player your own coach said can't hit the ocean, and a 3rd string QB that came in and stunk last season

please don't insult me

I am not giving Smith or anyone else a starters job at QB here. 

1 minute ago, Larz said:

please don't insult me

Listen, if you don't get Ryan to accept my $7M offer we are going to go with Geno Smith.  I mean it.  Don't push me.

Hey....I can hear you....stop laughing right now.  That's unprofessional.

SAR I

1 minute ago, Jetdawgg said:

Again, not after May 2016

What's so special about May 2016?  Because we had drafted Hackenberg?  A guy we were going to redshirt wouldn't have any impact on the starting quarterback conversation.  It was Fitz vs. Geno.  The Jets did the right thing.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

1 yr, 4mm. His job is to keep the seat warm until about week 6-7, when Hack takes over. He will not get a better offer elsewhere.

That's going to be the offer this year for Fitzpatrick to play the veteran emergency backup/mentor role like Mark Brunell.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

It's called business. It's called being professional. If they don't like it they can get cut or lose their playing time/snaps to players that actually want to play hard no matter who the QB is. That is how you run an organization. You don't allow yourself to be held hostage by players. 

What's so special about May 2016?  Because we had drafted Hackenberg?  A guy we were going to redshirt wouldn't have any impact on the starting quarterback conversation.  It was Fitz vs. Geno.  The Jets did the right thing.

SAR I

OTA's and other chemistry binding sessions take place. That is when the team should be settled, particularly at QB. The whole team should know if thre is a contention for the position or if there is a known quality starter in place. After May, only mid to end roster players should be added.

12 minutes ago, Larz said:

ok, lets flush that out.  What kind of offer do you make to Geno?

I give him a 2015 Tyrod Taylor type of deal. 2 years 1.5 million. If he stinks you can cut him with minimum to no cap ramifications. If he plays well you at least have him under contract another year and you can make a decision in the offseason of '19.

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I took a few months off in the offseason, didn't check in on JN much in April or May.  When I came back in June or July and saw all this pro-Geno talk I thought it was a gag, I thought it was terrific satire.

And then I learned that it was on the level.  Still can't fathom it.

SAR I

SAR....if any of us had brains, we take off Sept.-Jan.:D

5 minutes ago, August said:

It's called business. It's called being professional. If they don't like it they can get cut or lose their playing time/snaps to players that actually want to play hard no matter who the QB is. That is how you run an organization. You don't allow yourself to be held hostage by players. 

Wait.

So you think the players all wanted Fitzpatrick but the fans all wanted Geno Smith.  And so the resigning of Fitzpatrick made the players happy and angered the fanbase.

That's your thesis?

SAR I

4 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

I mentioned Kaepernick and both to have incentive laced contracts if they win the job as starter

Colin Kaepernick had his best statistical season since 2013, which was his first full season as the 49ers’ starter. Kaepernick is expected to opt out of his contract in early March. If he does not, then the 49ers would be expected to release him to avoid being on the hook for his scheduled $14.9 million pay.

the bold is not mine, couldn't get rid of it

QB's are expensive

and I'm just not discussing bringing Geno back anymore, I'm just not, lol

4 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

OTA's and other chemistry binding sessions take place. That is when the team should be settled, particularly at QB. The whole team should know if thre is a contention for the position or if there is a known quality starter in place. After May, only mid to end roster players should be added.

Agree completely.

The Jets should have given in to Fitzpatrick's demands in April and gave him a 3 year deal for big money so he could bond with the offense he'd created 31 touchdowns with a few months earlier.

Look, things worked out just fine.  Not surprisingly, we didn't make the playoffs, we validated Petty a bit, we saw how the team responded to Bowles during adversity, we saw the quit in certain players, and through it all we aren't on the hook with Fitzpatrick for another miserable season. 

SAR I

Archived