I Still Think...

DMan77

...The Jets will be a much more fun and interesting team to watch this coming year, despite the wholesale subtractions so far.

I understand the desire to laugh me out of the forum with that kind of statement... But I really do picture a team that gives us more hope and reason for optimism and a more interesting topic of discussion than this past season... I think we're going to enjoy watching a lot of young players put in a ton of effort into trying to make it in this league. I think we're going to enjoy seeing this reset and who comes out of it, way more than we did these last couple years.

I think we'll find more players to pull and root for.

Maybe that's not saying much, but with all the cuts and changes I think there's a default tendency to feel like things will be worse across the board, and I don't think that will be the case. I think we'll have more moments this coming season where we feel good about the future rather than dire about the current situation. I think we'll say "I can't wait to see what he does next week now!" a lot more.

They may only win 1,2,3,4 games, and that sucks and it's painful, but I think it'll be a heck of a lot more fun to watch these young guys play and compete and come together as a team than anything we saw this past year.

I know we've had many resets before... I'm not (that) naive... But this overhaul just feels like it's coming at a really good time. It feels like a huge weight off our shoulders. It feels like we're really adding by subtracting this time.

I'm cautiously excited and hopeful. 

Happy Friday all.

3 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

...The Jets will be a much more fun and interesting team to watch this coming year, despite the wholesale subtractions so far.

I understand the desire to laugh me out of the forum with that kind of statement... But I really do picture a team that gives us more hope and reason for optimism and a more interesting topic of discussion than this past season... I think we're going to enjoy watching a lot of young players put in a ton of effort into trying to make it in this league. I think we're going to enjoy seeing this reset and who comes out of it, way more than we did these last couple years.

I think we'll find more players to pull and root for.

Maybe that's not saying much, but with all the cuts and changes I think there's a default tendency to feel like things will be worse across the board, and I don't think that will be the case. I think we'll have more moments this coming season where we feel good about the future rather than dire about the current situation. I think we'll say "I can't wait to see what he does next week now!" a lot more.

They may only win 1,2,3,4 games, and that sucks and it's painful, but I think it'll be a heck of a lot more fun to watch these young guys play and compete and come together as a team than anything we saw this past year.

I know we've had many resets before... I'm not (that) naive... But this overhaul just feels like it's coming at a really good time. It feels like a huge weight off our shoulders. It feels like we're really adding by subtracting this time.

I'm cautiously excited and hopeful. 

Happy Friday all.

I'd be more excited about a youth movement if I thought the head coach was any good.

What would be worse ... 5 wins with all the same old players, or 2 - 3 wins with players who might turn out to be halfway decent?

I'm with you on the season being more fun and interesting. All depends on your expectations to start with -  many fans last year expected playoffs after 2015, and 5-11 hurt more as a result.

You'd have to be crazy this year to expect playoffs. And I don't just mean the usual Jets fan crazy, I mean a special type of crazy. :-) 

3 minutes ago, peebag said:

What in the history of this team gives you any feeling that they'll be "fun to watch"?

No....this will not be a "fun season" but a painful one...but necessary.  I'll need to find a hobby for the fall.

It's relative I suppose. I know I'll enjoy watching to see who might be ready to make a name for themselves. I'll have some fun watching Leonard Williams take the next step, seeing what our young WRs do, seeing how the OL meshes....

I'm not going to high five the room if they lose 45-0 but get a great performance out of someone, but I will at least allow myself to say "hey, that kid might have something"... or if someone loses their starting spot I can say "Ok, lets see what their replacement can do"...

It's pressureless in a lot of ways when I sit down to watch a game. I can focus on trying to pick out the good things and not worry about the final score as much... 

But again, it's all retaliative. We all watch and think and enjoy football in different ways. There's no right or wrong... I just know I enjoy following players development and seeing what we have. So next season seems like it's going to be a good one for that kind of thing.

I remember watching some nice young players on the 1996 team.  Chrebet, Johnson, Glenn, Victor Green, Mickens, Cascadden, Coleman, etc.  We really need a year to just let all these young guys play.  Can always dump Bowles later on.  

I agree this time, they will be much more fun to watch, after all, how much more boring could less than 6 points per game be? Again, like beating a dead Shrimp Boat Captain, my only concern is the deer in headlights HC playing too conservative and failing as miserably in game planning and adjusting as he did last season. If nothing else, it should be much more interesting.

5 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

I agree this time, they will be much more fun to watch, after all, how much more boring could less than 6 points per game be? Again, like beating a dead Shrimp Boat Captain, my only concern is the deer in headlights HC playing too conservative and failing as miserably in game planning and adjusting as he did last season. If nothing else, it should be much more interesting.

Ya it's a legit concern, but I think even if some guys are being positioned wrong or the playcalling is off, we'll still be able to pick out the guys that are hungry and that improve as the season goes on... And then maybe a little harder to notice; we'll see who the new set of leaders are on this team... I'm really looking forward to seeing Leonard Williams run with that... He seems like he could be such a strong leader on this team. He plays hard constantly, he's smart, and he makes the guys around him better. 

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Which of the players that were released qualifies as a subtraction?  Marshall maybe but that $7.5 million will go to other players who can contribute 

It's all how you look at it I suppose... Looking around this forum though it feels like a few people think the loss of Folk just cost the Jets 5 games next season... Once these last 2 or 3 releases happened it became doom and gloom... And more so than usual. 

Maybe they're not all subtractions, but even if they were, I'd still be excited in some way to see what happens next year because this years team was just so toxic and not enjoyable. I'm ready to watch these guys get a chance. It'll be sad not seeing Mangold out there, but I'm excited to watch how the OL forms and who steps up and what their personality is. 

Archived