interesting mmqb read

rangerous

18 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i can't knock mac for launching marshall.  yeah marshall had a great year in 2015 but in 2016 he caught maybe 50% of the passes thrown his way and most of those missed catches were in his hands.  imo marshall sould have a bad influence on a new qb.  not that he would show the guy how to party but marshall was pretty needy.  he was only happy when he was being thrown to.

I disagree. Marshall was by himself last year with Decker out and Fitz bombing. 

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I said in the beginning when I made my first comment that I was not counting signing his own players. That was a condition to begin with. 

Doesn't make it right. 

I also made it a condition that the deals had to be more than 1 year deals. Because 1 year deals, in the long run, don't hurt you. They come up and they go away. Unlike what the Texans did with Osweiler and had to give draft picks up just for somebody to take him off their hands. We didn't have to do that with Fitz. So those don't count.

Again, your criteria is your criteria. Its not universal. 

If Forte sucks next year, then we will move it into the failure column. Until then, it's incomplete.

Its a failure. Forte himself would tell you that if he was honest. 

BTW, I neglected to mention that if Gilchrist isn't cut, he can bounce back and raise his C grade.

Maybe, but I like the optimism here.

Now because of the addition of Cromartie, we've lowered Macc's overall outside FA grade from a C to a C-/D+; which isn't good anyway. So essentially, we've arrived at the same conclusion

Welcome to the party.

9 hours ago, varjet said:

For the first 2 years of his tenure, Mac traded too many picks and tried to use picks to fill holes so that he could support Woody's competitive rebuild.  He also tried to give Bowles and Gailey what they said they needed.  

I am willing to spot Mac a year, making this year 2, with particular focus on this year's and next year's draft.

I think Woody is looking at it around the same way.

If I were Macc I would be picking players that will make the team better long term, not what Bowles wants.  Who knows how long he is here.

Just to play devil's advocate:   Bowles has shown me that he is not capable of using a roster that is not tailored to his own personal needs.  So I'll make the opposite argument and say that Mac should try somehow to fathom what sort of roster/players Bowles needs to make whatever his game plan is work, and draft accordingly.

12 hours ago, rangerous said:

i can't knock mac for launching marshall.  yeah marshall had a great year in 2015 but in 2016 he caught maybe 50% of the passes thrown his way and most of those missed catches were in his hands.  imo marshall sould have a bad influence on a new qb.  not that he would show the guy how to party but marshall was pretty needy.  he was only happy when he was being thrown to.

Didn't Marshall ask for his release and the team granted his request? Not quite the same as Macc cutting him.

Had we forced him to honour his contract, when he clearly wanted out, that would have been a powder keg ready to explode.

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Didn't Marshall ask for his release and the team granted his request? Not quite the same as Macc cutting him.

Had we forced him to honour his contract, when he clearly wanted out, that would have been a powder keg ready to explode.

Yep

Not only that the rumor was that Macc offered Marshall an extension that Marshall turned down.  Suspect the extension was for less money, but still a long way from ejecting him

4 hours ago, jamesr said:

i suspect they asked him to renegotiate and he declined.  i believe his giants contract is for 6M per season which is less than he got with the jets.  the thing is, and imo, marshall is very talented but he wants to be the focus of the offense.  he dropped around 50% of his passes and most of those were right in his hands.  for all the talk from him about team mates needing to step up maybe he could've done his part better.

Archived