Marcus Williams Signs Tender, Jets re-sign LB Stanford

JetNation

IMG_3682.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

A pair of roster moves for the Jets today who have announced that cornerback Marcus Williams signed his second-round tender as expected, paying him $2.75 million this season.

The team also re-signed linebacker Julian Stanford

Stanford made a few headlines the other day when the Jets had to cut him on his wedding day due to league deadlines, but he was told by the team that he would be brought back, and he was.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
AQ3lPrniZa4

Click here to read the full story...

He's got a lot of incentive to play like he's worth $3m this summer.

RFA tenders suck for those tagged multiple rounds higher than they're worth. Nobody's forking over a 2nd to the Jets for the opportunity to sign Marcus Williams to a FA contract. And after all that we can still dump him on final cutdown day without paying him anything.

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

It seems as if calling them scumbags for this particular move was presumptive.

LOL

That actually made me laugh.

Of course the argument can still be made that Macc is a creep, and just resigned him due the the family pressure of being called names on line. :)   Wuss

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

LOL

That actually made me laugh.

Of course the argument can still be made that Macc is a creep, and just resigned him due the the family pressure of being called names on line. :)   Wuss

I'm pretty sure my post had an impact there's no doubt about that. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

imo this is good news. williams has shown a good nose for the ball and stanford at least plays with some heart.  these guys get their heads on straight and the jets at least have some decent back ups.

Williams regressed last season what were you watching. 

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Yep.  Imo last year was the year for Williams to show he was worthy of being considered a starter, and he went backwards.  I hate to be right when I am skeptical of a Jet player, but he proved while he has success ball hawking when facing the Qb, he can't consistently cover with his back to the Qb. 

I am not saying it's a bad move that they signed him now.  They can still cut him if they end up with some better players in the secondary.  But if he's not on the roster by Opening Day, I will not be unhappy.  Not a fan...

4 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

Yep.  Imo last year was the year for Williams to show he was worthy of being considered a starter, and he went backwards.  I hate to be right when I am skeptical of a Jet player, but he proved while he has success ball hawking when facing the Qb, he can't consistently cover with his back to the Qb. 

I am not saying it's a bad move that they signed him now.  They can still cut him if they end up with some better players in the secondary.  But if he's not on the roster by Opening Day, I will not be unhappy.  Not a fan...

I don't know if he went backwards.  He's just a guy who should be covering the other team's 4th or 5th WR, not one a starting WR.  Darrin Walls is a better cover CB than Williams.  Walls has stone hands, though, while Williams can catch.  

3 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

I don't know if he went backwards.  He's just a guy who should be covering the other team's 4th or 5th WR, not one a starting WR.  Darrin Walls is a better cover CB than Williams.  Walls has stone hands, though, while Williams can catch.  

You're right it was probably better to say he did not live up to his hype.

19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

he may have not done that well last season but who besides leo did?  the whole defense was putrid and imo this is not an indication of his potential but that he needs to be pointed in the right direction. what williams has shown is an ability to make good plays on the ball leading to ints.

Archived