MINI CAMP TWEET RODEO. (Where we secretly root for Hackenberg to implode)

T0mShane

4 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

No argument, but the Jets couldn't start Hackenberg last year just like the Chiefs aren't going to start Mahomes this year.   Dak was forced into starting and he handled it very well.  The point remains it's too early to look beyond Hackenberg and there are no guarantees on any rookie QBs.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Darnold on this team, but there are no guarantees he's going to come out, or that we get him, and if he'll be ready year 1.  Regardless, he was impressive in the Rose Bowl throwing frozen ropes into tight windows and coming back from a large deficit.   Having Hackenberg, Darnold and Petty competing for the starting job next year would be a great problem to have. 

Not just like. The Chiefs won 12 games last year and already have Alex Smith under contract. In contrast, the Jets drafted Hackenberg, went through rookie minicamp, OTAs, and through the eve before full team camp at the end of July before they re-signed Fitzpatrick. In other words, they re-signed Fitzpatrick in part because Hackenberg looked so lost.

Hackenberg-Petty-Darnold/other is not a competition for the Darnold/other player unless he's another future misfire. Josh McCown is walking away with beating them blindfolded, as did Geno Smith before him.

I'll leave rating next year's QB prospects to others who know better, since I haven't seen any of them play a full game (let alone scrutinize over these QBs' strengths/weaknesses).

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I don't know how many days I have to log on, tell you guys what the agenda is, and then watch you act surprised when you realize it. 

Shame on you!!!!

Oh, definitely wasn't surprised when I see it. Still ridiculous nevertheless. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I don't know how many days I have to log on, tell you guys what the agenda is, and then watch you act surprised when you realize it. 

Shame on you!!!!

Yeah I usually a cool head and understand it.  It just irritates me more and more recently.

These beat guys could suck a fart straight outta my ass and it would have more substance than their "reporting".

Graphic?  Yes.  Still fact?  Yes.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not just like. The Chiefs won 12 games last year and already have Alex Smith under contract. In contrast, the Jets drafted Hackenberg, went through rookie minicamp, OTAs, and through the eve before full team camp at the end of July before they re-signed Fitzpatrick. In other words, they re-signed Fitzpatrick in part because Hackenberg looked so lost.

Hackenberg-Petty-Darnold/other is not a competition for the Darnold/other player unless he's another future misfire. Josh McCown is walking away with beating them blindfolded, as did Geno Smith before him.

I'll leave rating next year's QB prospects to others who know better, since I haven't seen any of them play a full game (let alone scrutinize over these QBs' strengths/weaknesses).

You keep on beating the "they re-signed Fitz because Hackenberg looked lost" drum, but that is pure fiction.  The Jets "never" had any intention of starting Hackenberg, that was the plan from the beginning and they stuck to it.   Fitz almost got us to the playoffs the year before that's why they resigned him.  Geno was the starter most of training camp and Hackenberg was the 3rd string and got very limited reps.  Once Fitz was signed everyone slid down a spot and Hackenberg slid to 4th string, so he was never in the mix for a starting role, or 2nd, or 3rd string for that matter.

I watched the entire Rose Bowl intently and Darnold was impressive and anyone who watched the game came away with the same conclusion. 

13 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

+1

We're gonna stink, might as well stink with young hungry players and position ourselves for a top QB next year.

Watching Revis not even pretend to care last year was brutal.

Yes. Marshal too towards the end.

10 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

You keep on beating the "they re-signed Fitz because Hackenberg looked lost" drum, but that is pure fiction.  The Jets "never" had any intention of starting Hackenberg, that was the plan from the beginning and they stuck to it.   Fitz almost got us to the playoffs the year before that's why they resigned him.  Geno was the starter most of training camp and Hackenberg was the 3rd string and got very limited reps.  Once Fitz was signed everyone slid down a spot and Hackenberg slid to 4th string, so he was never in the mix for a starting role, or 2nd, or 3rd string for that matter.

I watched the entire Rose Bowl intently and Darnold was impressive and anyone who watched the game came away with the same conclusion. 

Also greatly enjoying the thread of wisdom that asserts it was totally cool for Maccagnan to spend a second round pick on a player who was so mentally damaged that putting him on a football field at any point in the first 18 months of his career would have resulted in that player's death.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Also greatly enjoying the thread of wisdom that asserts it was totally cool for Maccagnan to spend a second round pick on a player who was so mentally damaged that putting him on a football field at any point in the first 18 months of his career would have resulted in that player's death.

He made a value judgement and came away thinking they can fix this guy, let's see what happens.

12 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Well, not according to the man that drafted him. He got buried down that low after they drafted him - after they saw him play/practice - not on draft day. I take for granted that no small part of the reason for drafting him was his prior experience in a pro offense, so a good part of the thought is he would/should have been faster onto the field than a prospect with experience only in gimmick offenses. 

This whole "oh we knew before drafting him we were never, ever, ever going to play him at all as a rookie" is a fiction that is made to fit events after seeing how they unfolded. Neither Maccagnan nor Bowles ever used any term akin to "redshirt" until he'd fallen on his face for all the world to see, at the very end of summer camp when they reluctantly decided to carry 4 QBs.

Prior to that? If he looked better in the spring/summer, there's little doubt they'd have played him in 2016, even if he wasn't necessarily the opening day starter.

Nobody - and I'll even credit Maccagnan with not being this stupid - nobody drafts a player in round 2 with the supposed knowledge that there's no way on this earth he can be the backup, let alone a starter, at any point all season long as a rookie. To read Maccagnan's own words from May, the man who drafted Hackenberg talked like he had realistic hope Hackenberg would show a hell of a lot more than he did in 2016 (even if anyone wanted to bring him along slowly), to the point where he'd be given a chance to start. Nobody uses bet-hedging language like that if he was an auto-redshirt on draft day. If Hackenberg was usable in 2016, it would vindicate Maccagnan for the pick itself (in the face of so many that thought he was overdrafted), as well as vindicate him for not having the foresight to extend Fitzpatrick midseason in 2015, nor caving to his absurd demands in February-March.

Hackenberg was the big QB pickup. He was the news and represented the GM's answer for the position once he was drafted. If he wasn't going to give Fitz any $ he wanted, he'd at least need to show fans (and his boss) the hope that better times are not far off (likely why he caved and overdrafted him as well; he couldn't let this one get away). There were enough people agreeing that Fitz's demands were simply outrageous for a QB of his ability, body of work, and likelihood of repeated success given how many things just fell his way. No matter how impossibly lucky they got with the scheduling in 2015, right up to seeing Capt. Harvard melt down with the season on the line, any fool could see they weren't winning (nor even coming close to) a superbowl with Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB. That would require winning games against more than bad, slumping, and majorly-injured teams; and he obviously couldn't do that. So a big QB that supposedly looked the part was drafted, and was drafted early.

He looked so lost in rookie/mini camps, though, that it seems Maccagnan felt he'd painted himself into a corner. His prior-drafted QB he traded up for still looked meh, Geno wasn't any better (not to mention he'd seen firsthand how much the fans hated him), and he burned a 2nd rounder on a QB so many had said "stay away from this one [unless you can pick him up late]" and it was blowing up in his face. Pressure was building up and he had secured 3 bad options for the season. To many fans, to the HC who never attended an offensive meeting the entire 2015 season, to some veteran teammates at least, and to local beat writers -- no matter how shortsighted or misguided, re-signing Fitz gave Maccagnan a temporary way to save face after taking Hackenberg instead of trading up for Wentz/Goff, and then passing on Lynch when he fell to the Jets' pick, in favor of a 220-lb ILB.

Easy to forget now, it was considered "obvious" all winter/spring '16 that the Jets would be taking a QB in round 1. 

23 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm not some woe-is-me masochist who hates every move the team makes and thrives on complaining.

But just looking at the team and what they've done this year I think it's pretty clear the team will be bad. The defense has a legitimate chance to be good, but the offense? It just looks dreadful on paper. We have no QB and below average at every other offensive position. I just don't see the reason for short term optimism. I think we're playing the long game and I think that's a good idea.

We MAY not have a QB. Listening to Bowles and Bates (who described Hack as accurate and good at knowing where to throw it ) and the fact the reporters could not bash Hack, as much as they wanted to, I feel much much more optimistic thst we MAY HAVE a QB. Climb aboard now !

Well, not according to the man that drafted him. He got buried down that low after they drafted him - after they saw him play/practice - not on draft day. I take for granted that no small part of the reason for drafting him was his prior experience in a pro offense, so a good part of the thought is he would/should have been faster onto the field than a prospect with experience only in gimmick offenses. 
This whole "oh we knew before drafting him we were never, ever, ever going to play him at all as a rookie" is a fiction that is made to fit events after seeing how they unfolded. Neither Maccagnan nor Bowles ever used any term akin to "redshirt" until he'd fallen on his face for all the world to see, at the very end of summer camp when they reluctantly decided to carry 4 QBs.
Prior to that? If he looked better in the spring/summer, there's little doubt they'd have played him in 2016, even if he wasn't necessarily the opening day starter.

Sorry Spermy but Maccagnan pretty much told Hackenberg starting would be something in the future on the draft phone. There are a TONS of articles and QOUTES from APRIL that state Hackenberg was to be developed as a prospect with potential not immediately starting and that Fitz was to be the teams priority that offseason. Further, Geno was immediately promoted to QB1 and was already slated to receive all the 1st team reps. Below is an article from Newsday which has bits from Maccagnans phone convo with Hackenberg, stating they would help him reach his potential ( "we are going to invest some time with you") and touches on the all the other subjects above. Again sorry but Hackenberg was never going to start in 2016.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/nfl-draft-christian-hackenberg-selected-by-jets-with-no-51-pick-1.11746030

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived