Jordan Matthews???

BCJet

From rotoworld:  Eagles coach Doug Pederson said Jordan Matthews will not have a reduced role this season.

OC Frank Reich made waves on Monday after saying the situation in the slot will be "a little bit different than last year" and bringing up Nelson Agholor's name unprompted. Even if he holds off Agholor, however, Matthews will almost certainly see fewer targets this season with Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith now in the fold. Despite Pederson's comments, it would not be surprising if the Eagles attempt to trade Matthews, who is entering the final year of his deal.

Unfortunately the Eagles have a stacked Dline with Fletcher Cox and Tim Jerrigan, but what would we need to give up to acquire Matthews.  Draft picks are obviously very valuable (especially given our rebuilding year) but Matthews is a good player, who is now in a logjam at WR with Phila signing Alshon Jeffrey and Torrey Smith.  You wouldn’t want to give up much given that he is an UFA after this season, but a late round pick is likely worth it for a young player if you can in turn get the inside track to sign him long term.

I don’t look at Matthews as a knee-jerk enunwa situation – moreso if a young player at a position of need becomes available, is this someone the Jets could look at.

He's in his last year of his rookie deal. Unless we get him for like a 5th rounder, its not worth getting him for anything higher than that AND having to give up a big contract he will most likely be searching. 

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

He's on the last year of his deal and we're tanking this year. A trade only makes sense if you really like him as a talent and think you could get him on a decent contract... I'm not sure about either.

I wonder if there is an opportunity, IF the team really liked him before he even put on a Jets Jersey, to give him an extension with a front-loaded 2017 base salary as opposed to a signing bonus, that could lessen the blow to future cap space, while also getting a good young player under contract.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

From rotoworld:  Eagles coach Doug Pederson said Jordan Matthews will not have a reduced role this season.

OC Frank Reich made waves on Monday after saying the situation in the slot will be "a little bit different than last year" and bringing up Nelson Agholor's name unprompted. Even if he holds off Agholor, however, Matthews will almost certainly see fewer targets this season with Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith now in the fold. Despite Pederson's comments, it would not be surprising if the Eagles attempt to trade Matthews, who is entering the final year of his deal.

Unfortunately the Eagles have a stacked Dline with Fletcher Cox and Tim Jerrigan, but what would we need to give up to acquire Matthews.  Draft picks are obviously very valuable (especially given our rebuilding year) but Matthews is a good player, who is now in a logjam at WR with Phila signing Alshon Jeffrey and Torrey Smith.  You wouldn’t want to give up much given that he is an UFA after this season, but a late round pick is likely worth it for a young player if you can in turn get the inside track to sign him long term.

I don’t look at Matthews as a knee-jerk enunwa situation – moreso if a young player at a position of need becomes available, is this someone the Jets could look at.

I believe that Jeffery and T. Smith are each on 1-year "prove it" deals.  Jeffery has a storied history of injuries and it would be risky for them to bank on him.  and Torry Smith is a very limited fly-pattern/go-route guy and nothing else.  He's 28 so maybe they would they want him long-term, but Matthews brings far more to the table than him.    

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I believe that Jeffery and T. Smith are each on 1-year "prove it" deals.  Jeffery has a storied history of injuries and it would be risky for them to bank on him.  and Torry Smith is a very limited fly-pattern/go-route guy and nothing else.  He's 28 so maybe they would they want him long-term, but Matthews brings far more to the table than him.    

Jeffery is on a 1-year (@$10M, I think), but Smith is on a 3/$15M deal though I think he has no dead money.

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Jeffery is on a 1-year (@$10M, I think), but Smith is on a 3/$15M deal though I think he has no dead money.

yup... Smit on a 3-yr deal, but they can release him after this season with zero dead money.  Is he worth $5 million for 2018 and 2019?  Doubt it.  But the Iggles have that no-risk option with him after the season, so it's basically a prove-it kind of deal.  Jeffery is UFA after this season.

Archived