Shawne Merriman Pro Day

bitonti

I dunno... as he doesn't have nearly as much season hype as Derrick Johnson or Antrel Rolle have. But, he'll bethe first DE off the board, I'm sure of that. I'm thinking my Lions pick looks better and better as we get closer to the draft. And, as far as the JN mock goes, I'd almost guarantee that's how the top ten looks. Honestly though? I'd be shocked if Washington or Minnesota passes on him.

the way i see it Merriman's 4.6 at 270 is better than Derrick Johnson's 4.56 at 230 - his leap of 40 inches at 270 is FAR better than Rolle's leap of 38 inches at 210

pass rushing DE is a tougher position to fill than CB or LB

he's a unique athlete and when he goes to CLE @ 3 - remember that it was hammer and Bit who were calling it 7 weeks before it happen (that's where we have him slotted in the 3/5 mock)

the way i see it Merriman's 4.6 at 270 is better than Derrick Johnson's 4.56 at 230 - his leap of 40 inches at 270 is FAR better than Rolle's leap of 38 inches at 210

he's a unique athlete and when he goes to CLE @ 3 - remember that it was hammer and Bit who were calling it 7 weeks before it happen (that's where we have him slotted in the 3/5 mock)

Yeah, that's true... but he doesn't have the hype the other two have. And, we know that NFL GM's, when you're drafting that high (unless you're Romeo) have to serve a different master. That's why Joey was drafted number 3. That's why QB's go so high. They're the glamour position, the face of the franchise. But, I do suspect Romeo will draft a defensive player, the one he feels is the best. I'd have to agree that Merriman's best shot would be Cleveland.

There is such a high premium in The NFL on pass rushers that I would suspect that Merriman gets drafted in the top half of the first round.

It's going to be interesting to see where he plays in the pros. He's a 4-3 DE who could project to the 3-4 as an OLB.

If he goes to The 3-4, He could be told to lose some weight and get down to 250. That might actually make him faster.

I think Merriman should be a 4-3 DE. But he can do either.

There was no better defensive player in the country last year than Derrick Johnson. These could be the top two defensive players in the draft.

ran the 40 in 4.6 and leaped 40 inches (amazing number for a 274 pounder)

great production - no injury history - fastest 40 time of all the "elite" DE

is he the first defensive player off the board?

a-merriman-022403a.jpg

See why we had him going 3rd Overall and the first defensive player off the board in our last DD mock? :wink:

And we've had him rated in that area for months 8)

See fellas ... DD is the PLACE TO BE :D

he's a unique athlete and when he goes to CLE @ 3 -

remember that it was hammer and Bit who were calling it 7 weeks before it happen (that's where we have him slotted in the 3/5 mock)

8) :D 8)

I have never seen him play, so I have to ask...is he a footbal player? I hate getting hopped up on a guy because of numbers. Broderick Thomas, or Charles Haley?

well shane since you asked...

last year he had 85 tackles, 8.5 sacks, 10 QB hurries, 17 tackles for loss 2 Pass Defended, 3 Forced Fumbles, 1 recovered ... and a partridge in a pear tree -

year before that he had another 55 tackles, 8.5 sacks, 12 Hurries, 9.5 tackles for loss, 3 passes defended, 2 fumble recoverys

as a freshman - 49 tackles, 5 sacks, 4 QB hurries, 6.5 tackles for loss, 1 forced fumble

comes from a great program that turns out great NFL defenders - too good to stay there all 4 years - it's safe to say he's a balla

88036.jpeg

Archived