My shot at GM with 100 Million (Draft and Free Agency Combo). Your thoughts?

Ortegat83

My shot at GM with 100 Million (Draft and Free Agency Combo). Your thoughts?
#NYJETS 

QB - Case Keenum/ Kirk Cousins
1st  - Mayfield or Allen or trade up for Rosen or Darnold (Unlikely) 
RB - Terrence West 
2nd - Bo Scarborough (Bama)
WR - D. Adams or J. Landry 
4th - Jake Wienekee/*Dante Pettis 
Corner - M. Buttler
3rd - Joshua Jackson (Iowa)
DL - D. Poe 
DT - Kawaan Short (Purdue)
6th - ILB-Jack Cichy (Wisc)
OG - Andy Levitre
OT - Nate Solder or Jarvis Jenkins 
5th - Casey Tucker (Stanford) 
2nd - OLB- Austin Bryant (Clemson)
                     Jarvis Jones (Georgia)
2nd - C - Billy Price (O.S.)
P.R - *Dante Pettis (Wash)

Bargain Chips 
Matt Forte 
Josh McCown 
Mo Wilkerson/Release
Others.

*****This post sounded pretty rude after I read it to myself, but I'm too lazy to go back and change it. I was not trying to be so condescending, was just pointing out some obvious flaws in your plan.******

First off, after the year Keenum had, he'll be looking for starting QB money/years...as will Cousins, but at a much higher rate. That said, why would the Jets commit that much (dollars and years) to a starting QB via FA just to turn around and draft a QB at pick 6 (or earlier, as you suggested)? That makes ZERO sense. That's wasting our best assets, money and draft picks.

Secondly,... Powell, Forte, and McGuire are all under contract next year...so I'm not sure why you have us adding another mediocre RB in FA (West), AND utilizing a 2nd round pick on a guy that isn't going to be any good in the NFL. Yet again, makes no sense. I'm all for drafting a RB, but I'd aim MUCH higher than Scarborough (in terms of talent, not draft pick), and it likely means we'd be cutting Forte in the process.

Next, you have us signing approximately 4-5 guys that will command double digit (or close to it) annual salaries...which won't happen. NOBODY signs 5 players to double digit annual salaries in one off-season. Just because we have money, doesn't mean we have to spend it all...

And finally, under your "bargain chips" (which I took to mean "trade pieces"), you list a RB with zero trade value, a 38 year old FREE AGENT quarterback, and a $20M/yr cancer that hasn't done anything productive in 2 years. I think you may need to stop playing Madden for a bit and look at his REALISTIC value (I'll give you a hint, he's worthless). You can't trade Forte because nobody is willing to give up anything for an old, injury prone RB that costs $5M. And you can't trade a FA QB for obvious reasons. 

I know I already said "Finally", but I thought of ONE more note to add... in order to get these players to sign with the Jets, we'll have to overpay. There's a reason the entire league thought we'd win less than 2 games this year, and that's because our roster SUCKS. We benefited from a couple lucky games (Jacksonville, Buffalo, KC) that would likely go the other way 9 times out of 10.  Free agents with any sort of value to this team will likely be getting looked at by other (read "better") teams. They're not going to agree to come to this team unless we sweeten the pot. 

On 02/01/2018 at 7:15 AM, jwill182 said:

*****This post sounded pretty rude after I read it to myself, but I'm too lazy to go back and change it. I was not trying to be so condescending, was just pointing out some obvious flaws in your plan.******

First off, after the year Keenum had, he'll be looking for starting QB money/years...as will Cousins, but at a much higher rate. That said, why would the Jets commit that much (dollars and years) to a starting QB via FA just to turn around and draft a QB at pick 6 (or earlier, as you suggested)? That makes ZERO sense. That's wasting our best assets, money and draft picks.

Secondly,... Powell, Forte, and McGuire are all under contract next year...so I'm not sure why you have us adding another mediocre RB in FA (West), AND utilizing a 2nd round pick on a guy that isn't going to be any good in the NFL. Yet again, makes no sense. I'm all for drafting a RB, but I'd aim MUCH higher than Scarborough (in terms of talent, not draft pick), and it likely means we'd be cutting Forte in the process.

Next, you have us signing approximately 4-5 guys that will command double digit (or close to it) annual salaries...which won't happen. NOBODY signs 5 players to double digit annual salaries in one off-season. Just because we have money, doesn't mean we have to spend it all...

And finally, under your "bargain chips" (which I took to mean "trade pieces"), you list a RB with zero trade value, a 38 year old FREE AGENT quarterback, and a $20M/yr cancer that hasn't done anything productive in 2 years. I think you may need to stop playing Madden for a bit and look at his REALISTIC value (I'll give you a hint, he's worthless). You can't trade Forte because nobody is willing to give up anything for an old, injury prone RB that costs $5M. And you can't trade a FA QB for obvious reasons. 

I know I already said "Finally", but I thought of ONE more note to add... in order to get these players to sign with the Jets, we'll have to overpay. There's a reason the entire league thought we'd win less than 2 games this year, and that's because our roster SUCKS. We benefited from a couple lucky games (Jacksonville, Buffalo, KC) that would likely go the other way 9 times out of 10.  Free agents with any sort of value to this team will likely be getting looked at by other (read "better") teams. They're not going to agree to come to this team unless we sweeten the pot. 

Damien Harris instead of Scarborough

Here's the deal and fun part of hypotheticals and playing GM...which I like doing too. But you can't do the "or this guy or that guy thing". It just doesn't work. It gets too muddled. There's no clear picture. When you do these just say **** it bc it ain't happening anyway and take the one guy you want. At least then it's fun to imagine. Otherwise, well, it just doesn't work otherwise.  

Archived