Sign:

• QB Cousins (32)
  • WR Robinson (6)
  • C Jensen (8)
  • G Norwell (9)
  • CB Colvin (11)

18 M in space

Draft:

(Trade down with Arizona for 15, 47, 79)

1. Rashaan Evans (LB)

2. Mike Gesicki (TE)

2. Derrius Guice (RB)

2. Trenton Thompson (DL)

3. Kurt Benkert (QB)

3. Tarvarus McFadden (CB)

4. John Kelly (RB)

4. (Trade up) Deontay Burnett (WR)

Final Roster: (newbies in bold)

QB: Cousins; Benkert; Hackenberg

RB: Guice; Powell; Kelly

WR: Robinson; Anderson; Kearse; Hansen; Stewart; Enunwa; Burnett

TE: Gesicki; Leggett; Tomlinson

OT: Beachum; Shell; Qvale

OG: Norwell; Winters; Dozier

C: Jensen; Harrison

DL: Williams; Thompson; Cooper; Pennel; Pelon

LB: Evans; Jenkins; Davis; Lee; Martin; Mauldin

CB: Colvin; Claiborne; Burris; McFadden

S: Adams; Maye

(edited to change Rashaan “Perry” to Rashaan “Evans.” For some reason I always have Perry in my head when it comes to this player.)

That is a Misleading thread title! I was promised a complete overhaul, come to find this meant resign almost everybody. 

G’luck getting Norwell or even Robinson at those prices and can’t say I love the draft. They’re really short on OT talent here with Beachum the only guy who has been an average NFL OT on a fulltime basis. Benkert’s almost a throwaway pick in the third. 

Lots of these mocks leave the roster without a K. 

3 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

That is a Misleading thread title! I was promised a complete overhaul, come to find this mean resign everybody. 

G’luck getting Norwell or even Robinson at those prices and can’t say I love the draft. They’re really short on OT talent here with Beachum the only guy who has been an average NFL OT on a fulltime basis. Benkert’s almost a throwaway pick in the third. 

There’s only so much money and so many picks!

I actually cut more guys than most would ...

Everyone on the o-line can’t be a first rounder or dominant force (tho we did try that with the d-line and it failed). It’s about the unit and this one would seem pretty good. The O-line getting 2 new starters is a pretty big overhaul.

Market dictates price, nobody can give a perfect guess as to what those would be...go ahead and add 2 mil to each of their salaries, doesn’t matter to me— they would still fit under cap.

13 new difference makers...in addition to the re-signings.

9 new starters in year 1.

IMO, Benkert has talent. Right now he would be an adequate and cheap backup to Cousins. The idea is for him to take over after Cousins. If Cousins is good into his mid-late 30s such that Cousins warrants a second contract from us, then we can trade Benkert, a la Garoppolo.

I like the effort, butt this is masturbation.. When has anyone ever signed the best QB, the best Guard, the best Corner, and the best WR? Seriously - why don't we sign Elliot while you're at it  :P 

Can be a little more realistic. By your count our roster is at like 65 people with all these resigning/signings/tradebacks. Also, every offseason mock starting Kirk Cousins is... well. Can we try something else? 

Draft: can't say I hate it, can't say i like it. Meh. Don't know some of the role players. A LB in round 1 would result in a firing the next day. Won't happen.

Btw, if you believe the scuttlebutt - then IF we do land Cousins we're going LT & C & Edge will be priorities. You hit none of these. 

Market dictates price, nobody can give a perfect guess as to what those would be

Exactly, and the market for a top of the league guard like Norwell is at least 4-5 million higher than $9 million. In this FA class  prices will get a bump because the cap is going up (for 3 years) and half the league can afford to at least make an offer to top FAs. A guy like Nowell might be looking at $15-16 million a year if he hits the open market this or next offseason. 

While they’re not perfect there are sites that do a pretty great job at ballparking or better contract numbers. It’s not the same sport but the guys at MLBTR are excellent with MLB arbitration numbers using a similar method to guessing FA deals. I know OvertheCap and Sportrac are really useful for NFL contract info, OvertheCap offering solid analysis as well. 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I like the effort, butt this is masturbation.. When has anyone ever signed the best QB, the best Guard, the best Corner, and the best WR? Seriously - why don't we sign Elliot while you're at it  :P 

Can be a little more realistic. By your count our roster is at like 65 people with all these resigning/signings/tradebacks. Also, every offseason mock starting Kirk Cousins is... well. Can we try something else? 

Draft: can't say I hate it, can't say i like it. Meh. Don't know some of the role players. A LB in round 1 would result in a firing the next day. Won't happen.

Btw, if you believe the scuttlebutt - then IF we do land Cousins we're going LT & C & Edge will be priorities. You hit none of these. 

This is a more realistic reaction/criticism than misterCat, I think.

I would agree that those might not be the exact players for the o-line, especially. But the idea is sound as far as putting forward a reasonable amount of money into a couple new interior starters on the line. Not 5 new starters, like some think. Robinson, coming off a major injury, is definitely possible. He should be doing a one year deal to prove he deserves something like 15/yr.

I want Cousins period. Someone who doesn’t want him can make their offseason without him.

I absolutely do not believe rumors, so that part is less than irrelevant. However, I am signing a C and Evans is going to play some hybrid OLB-type role in the NFL, so you’re incorrect on me not doing “edge”.

I encourage you to look into the players you don’t know. They’re more than good.

25 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Not sure we can get some of those FAs at that rate but I do love what you did. I'd like to point out if you designated Wilkerson as a June 1st cut, we'll save $17M. His $9M would be split out along 3 years instead of accelerating it to all come in 2018.

I knew I liked you, bla

19 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

I would agree that those might not be the exact players for the o-line, especially. But the idea is sound as far as putting forward a reasonable amount of money into a couple new interior starters on the line. Not 5 new starters, like some think. Robinson, coming off a major injury, is definitely possible. He should be doing a one year deal to prove he deserves something like 15/yr.

I want Cousins period. Someone who doesn’t want him can make their offseason without him.

I absolutely do not believe rumors, so that part is less than irrelevant. However, I am signing a C and Evans is going to play some hybrid OLB-type role in the NFL, so you’re incorrect on me not doing “edge”.

I encourage you to look into the players you don’t know. They’re more than good.

Either you're on team Cousins, or you're not. So we'll leave that be. 

I do support spending a significant chunk of our FA $$ to the Oline. If i had it my way, I'd retool the line but probably keep Beachum, as there's not great LTs on the market this year (fcking Witworth last year, Macc!)  but guards, Center and a RT to compete with Shell - absolutely. 

Love Colvin, need him. If we could land Norwell, hell yea. Carpenter - see you later. Winters? I hate you. 

The draft is just a matter there's other players I prefer. If we're taking a LB in round 1 (kill me now) then it better be the Georgia bulldog. I'll take that south dakota kid at TE over your guy. I'm a RJ or Sony guy myself over Guice. Those LSU backs just never live up to the hype for me. 

Anyway, it's not a bad offseason, it's just what i would necessary do as GM.

On 1/16/2018 at 9:46 PM, BrickTamland said:

You’re just saying that because I wasn’t nice.

Here:

Your FA is still completely unrealistic but I love what you do with the trade down and first three picks (should Evans ace the combine). You lose me at the DL/QB picks so early. Benkert’s not a good prospect and I don’t see the value of a 2nd round rotational DE/DT. The draft before and after those picks is pretty gd excellent looking back.

But yeah...can’t emphasize enough how unrealistic that FA is with those numbers. 

On 1/16/2018 at 7:31 PM, Paradis said:

Absolutely makes sense IF we sign Cousins. Got to do it. He would need to be protected. I’d even go further and triple dip on the OL with our first 3 picks. There’s tons of quality OL talent in this draft, Nelson, McGlinchey, Price etc to turn around this offense. But you’d have to invest in it. And with the rest  of the FA cash, sign a premium LT and edge rusher. It’s a start in the right direction. 

7 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Kill

me

Kill you or get Cousins killed? Sign him  to a multi year deal guaranteeing him 30 million. A third way into the season he gets sandwiched like Petty did vs. the Fins due to the crappy lline and he’s out indefinitely. It’s cool we got Hack to save the day. 

On 1/16/2018 at 4:55 PM, BrickTamland said:

80 M in cap space

Cut:

• DL Wikerson (Save 11)
  • CB Skrine (Save 6)
  • OL Ijalana (Save 4)
  • OL Carpenter (Save 4)
  • DL McLendon (Save 3.5)
  • RB Forte (Save 3)
  • QB Petty (Save 0.5)

112 M in cap space

Re-sign:

• CB Claiborne (8)
  • LB Davis (6)
  • WR Enunwa (4)
  • TE Sterling (2)
  • OL Qvale (2)
  • OL Dozier (2)
  • TE Tomlinson (1)
  • DL Pennel (1)
  • DL Cooper (1)
  • OL Harrison (1)

84 M in space

Sign:

• QB Cousins (32)
  • WR Robinson (6)
  • C Jensen (8)
  • G Norwell (9)
  • CB Colvin (11)

18 M in space

Draft:

(Trade down with Arizona for 15, 47, 79)

1. Rashaan Evans (LB)

2. Mike Gesicki (TE)

2. Derrius Guice (RB)

2. Trenton Thompson (DL)

3. Kurt Benkert (QB)

3. Tarvarus McFadden (CB)

4. John Kelly (RB)

4. (Trade up) Deontay Burnett (WR)

Final Roster: (newbies in bold)

QB: Cousins; Benkert; Hackenberg

RB: Guice; Powell; Kelly

WR: Robinson; Anderson; Kearse; Hansen; Stewart; Enunwa; Burnett

TE: Gesicki; Leggett; Tomlinson

OT: Beachum; Shell; Qvale

OG: Norwell; Winters; Dozier

C: Jensen; Harrison

DL: Williams; Thompson; Cooper; Pennel; Pelon

LB: Evans; Jenkins; Davis; Lee; Martin; Mauldin

CB: Colvin; Claiborne; Burris; McFadden

S: Adams; Maye

(edited to change Rashaan “Perry” to Rashaan “Evans.” For some reason I always have Perry in my head when it comes to this player.)

Archived