Bit's 2018 Mock 1.0 (assumes Kirk Cousins to NYJ)

bitonti

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:28 PM, bitonti said:

-Yes they would take it but AZ wouldn't offer. If Arizona traded their first and second round picks, that would get them close enough according to the trade value chart. 2 rd 1 picks would be overpay to get from 15 to 6. 

-Buffalo's 2 1st get them to 6 exactly on this mock. I would take that deal because Mac has no intention of drafting Rosen and has to pass on him no matter what. 

- Ridley is an interesting prospect he is being pushed up because there's no real other 1st round graded WR this year. I don't think teams usually trade up for WR. 

-To be honest I almost did it that way. The reason I didn't is two fold 1) Brandon Shell is criminally underrated and might even have LT potential in a Cordy Glenn sort of way 2) Beachum is actually fine at LT, as it turns out. and 3) Nelson is legitimately a better prospect than Brown. 

Orlando Brown is like Marcus McNeill without the injuries (plus Brown's Dad "Zeus" Brown played line in the NFL and was actually the guy who freaked out when that ref threw a flag in his eye). Super Huge, not great technically but he is just tough to get behind. He's safe and large and probably plays RT forever.  IT's just not that bad a problem right now. 

1) ARI only has one 1st round pick this year so he was likely inferring this year's 1st and next year's 1st.  Devaluing next year's 1st to a mid-2nd this year (which may not be the right valuation today but at least has some history) puts them right about where they would be with this year's 1st and 2nd.  In either case, I think the Jets could reasonably push for a little more, possibly just a swap of picks in our favor to balance it out depending on other interest in the pick.

2) Depending on what we did in FA and how you value the picks you think will be there at 21/22.  You are looking at guys like one of the OTs, Guice, maybe Price.  A pair from that list could be very compelling but do we want to give BUF a potential franchise QB to haunt us for the next 10 years?

3) Sammy Watkins is the last I recall but that was a big trade up.  I don't feel like Ridley is near the prospect Watkins was though so I agree that he doesn't seem like a trade-up candidate, particularly as high as 6 when there are better players on the board.

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

2) Depending on what we did in FA and how you value the picks you think will be there at 21/22.  You are looking at guys like one of the OTs, Guice, maybe Price.  A pair from that list could be very compelling but do we want to give BUF a potential franchise QB to haunt us for the next 10 years?

In this scenario the Jets FO believe Rosen is garbage so they make the trade happily.  None of this is what I would do personally.  

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

In this scenario the Jets FO believe Rosen is garbage so they make the trade happily.  None of this is what I would do personally.  

Is that what you think?  Having a pass grade on the guy because you are worried about political issues (that hat could be a big problem for a political appointee) is very different than thinking the guy just can't play.  Do you think they also hate him as a player?

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Is that what you think?  Having a pass grade on the guy because you are worried about political issues (that hat could be a big problem for a political appointee) is very different than thinking the guy just can't play.  Do you think they also hate him as a player?

it's not just the political stuff. The day after UCLA signed a big deal with Under Armour he ranted about amateurism in the NCAA.  The coaches had to sit down with him and explain how the school is really doing him a favor. HE was like whatever dudes and still posts whatever he wants on social media. 

He's outspoken and can't be controlled, those are two qualities capital hates in labor. Especially in a "tone setting" position like franchise QB. 

people might agree with his views or disagree with them, that's not the point. The point is that ownership want to employ wonder bread rubber faces like Darnold. They don't want the guy who has opinions. 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's not just the political stuff. The day after UCLA signed a big deal with Under Armour he ranted about amateurism in the NCAA.  The coaches had to sit down with him and explain how the school is really doing him a favor. HE was like whatever dudes and still posts whatever he wants on social media. 

He's outspoken and can't be controlled, those are two qualities capital hates in labor. Especially in a "tone setting" position like franchise QB. 

people might agree with his views or disagree with them, that's not the point. The point is that ownership want to employ wonder bread rubber faces like Darnold. They don't want the guy who has opinions. 

I totally agree.

I just do not see a team worrying about the off the field stuff being eager to get the kid on to a rival.  You said in that scenario the Jets viewed Rosen as garbage.  They might, but I don't see avoiding him for the off field stuff as indicative of them viewing him as garbage.  If anything they would probably be more worried about him beating up on them and would prefer not to play him twice a year, so he wouldn't get interviewed twice a year by the local media.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I totally agree.

I just do not see a team worrying about the off the field stuff being eager to get the kid on to a rival.  You said in that scenario the Jets viewed Rosen as garbage.  They might, but I don't see avoiding him for the off field stuff as indicative of them viewing him as garbage.  If anything they would probably be more worried about him beating up on them and would prefer not to play him twice a year, so he wouldn't get interviewed twice a year by the local media.

If Woody/Christopher Johnson forbid Mac from taking Player X and a team wants to trade 2 1sts for Player X, they have to take the deal.

its getting value for an asset you had no use for 

Once they decide Rosen is off the board, it's not that far to convince yourself he sucks. I don't know how they convince themselves h but they will find a way, I'm sure.  I still don't know why they are even talking to Kirk Cousins. No one from Florham calls me for my opinion, surprisingly. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Calling the NCAA names hardly qualifies as being a trouble-maker.  He has made some legitimate points about the system IMO.  The schools all want to keep everyone quiet so the game continues under their terms but that doesn't make the players wrong for not liking it.  It's not like he's arguing about police brutality or sending dick pics to interns.

I understand the logic.  IF the board was to fall that way, I could definitely see Nelson sitting at the top of Big Mac's Big Board.  It fits the mold of, the BAP fell to us at #6, just like Leo and Adams.  However, I'd still be pissed we took at G at #6 overall.  I'd prefer Ridley there, honestly.  But dont sleep on Vita Vea climbing up the Big Mac Big Board.  There are very few humans with that size and strength that can move like him.  Guy is an absolute monster.  And with Todd Bowles owning that first round pick, he could very easily be the pick.
The bomb dropper would be Roquan Smith, who might be the #1 overall guy on Big Mac's Big Board sponsored by Todd Bowles. 
Rosen is going to be interesting.  I think he's the best QB in the draft but will attitude and injuries play a factor?  That's going to get juicy! 

Unless it’s an ELITE pash rusher I ain’t going defense in the first round. Develop your talent. Show us how good the scouting and coaching departments are.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 2/20/2018 at 2:22 PM, johnnysd said:

Cringe at the assume we sign Cousins part. Also Mac has publicly stated he does not like to use first rounders on OL (which is INSANELY dumb...i would not hire a GM that thought that) so I just dont see this being realistic. Face it, we are drafting safety again. Just get the pain over with now, so when the pick happens it just makes you numb and you dont wreck the house.

I think a LT is the exception here. Mac tried to trade up for Tunsil.

I like it. I like Nelson a lot and he's a plug and play Guard. I truly don't care that he's a guard and not a skill player or LT. It's amazing how undervalued OG's are in the NFL and yet they can completely change your offense, especially if you get a guy who stays healthy and is consistent. Nelson looks the part of a perennial pro-bowler who could stick around for a decade.  

But there are 2 reasons I think the Jets should trade down.

1- I think they will get an offer for Rosen. I don't care of they have Cousins, there will be a team out there that will want Rosen as soon as they see Denver pass on him and the Jets will get an offer.

2- With Cousins and his massive salary, the Jets need to infuse the team with young talent IMMEDIATELY. They should ACTIVELY shop the 6th pick, even if Nelson is there and they have a need at O-line. Trade down and take a OG later in the 1st- I really like Wynn out of Georgia. He can play OT or OG but projects to be an OG at the NFL level. Not sure where he will go but probably towards the bottom of the 1st round. 

*However, I think there's a high possibility that Rosen will go #3 overall as soon as the Giants pass on him, in a deal with the Colts. Honestly, that is what I think will happen in this scenario. It will be Darnold, Allen, Rosen via trade, possibly with the Bills, who have 2 first rounders. This mock has the Bills waiting around until Rosen falls past the Broncos and Jets and past any other team willing to move up ahead of pick #9. Not gonna happen. It would be foolish. If you like the guy enough to move up from 21 to 9, you shouldn't be that concerned with giving up some more draft capital to move up to 3 and ENSURE you get him. 

Nevertheless, it's IMPERATIVE the Jets do all they can to move down and add draft picks if they get Cousins and no longer have to address QB early in the draft. And guess what, adding an extra 2nd and third rounder would give the Jets the LUXURY to take a QB like Jackson or Rudolph or whoever fairly early in the draft as a developmental guy behind Cousins. 

5 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think a LT is the exception here. Mac tried to trade up for Tunsil.

Correctemundo.

he also traded up for Shell, although that was in Rd. 5. 

But I think Mac simply drafts by value. If he believes the value is there he will take the guy. If he believes a guy is falling for the value he has, he will be willing to trade up. I think position (O-line or otherwise) is always secondary with Macc. And frankly, most GMs.  

Archived