2018-19 NCAA Basketball Thread

nyjunc

42 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Seems the NCAA has decided to make Oklahoma State its sacrificial lamb, dropping an absolute hammer on them today.  Too bad they haven't had the grapes to do the same thing to deserving Kansas and UNC over the years.  Cowards.

A great look for them to be rolling out these punishments now, too, with schools across the country cutting programs and hemorrhaging money.  

They couldn't wait until 2021 to pull this?  Really?

Cheaters should be punished, looking forward to Kansas and NC State getting the hammer soon and watching the Zion Williamson legal proceedings with great interest to see how Duke can possibly avoid getting hit with their cheating.

23 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Cheaters should be punished, looking forward to Kansas and NC State getting the hammer soon and watching the Zion Williamson legal proceedings with great interest to see how Duke can possibly avoid getting hit the their cheating.

LOL.  This is as tone-deaf / self unaware as one of Dear Leader's tweets.*

*Please don't get triggered by this.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

LOL.  This is as tone-deaf / self unaware as one of Dear Leader's tweets.*

*Please don't get triggered by this.

I wish you knew half as much as you think you know.  You do amuse me though.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Devontae Cacok, the guy in my avatar, just made his NBA debut with the Lakers.  He scored on his first FG attempt.  

He becomes just the 3rd UNCW Seahawk to play in the NBA (joining Brian Rowsom and Matt Fish).

He finished with 6 points (3-6 shooting), 5 rebounds, 1 assist and +5 in 8 minutes of action, as the Lakers lost 136-122.

Excited for the kid.  

@JiF

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2020 at 10:35 AM, nj meadowlands said:

It appears UNC might actually have a chance of making the tournament this year!

Source: The ACC will propose that ever single team in Division 1 will make the 2021 NCAA Tournament.

They have only missed the tournament one time since Roy went back to Carolina and that was 2010 after losing most of the 2009 champs which were the best team we've seen this century in college basketball.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

College basketball is back tonight.  Carolina starts at #16 and could be a top 10 team by the end of the year. They have the best frontcourt in the ACC and one of the best in the Country.  It will come down to the freshman backcourt to see how good they can be.

Looking forward to a fun year even if there will be some games postponed along the way.

Nice start for the Heels, that frontcourt is going to give teams fits and they weren't complete with 2 guys (1 big guy) limited because of covid protocols.

Tonight is on to "Maui" in Asheville for 3 games over the next 3 nights.

There have been some big upsets so far with Villanova going down to Va Tech and kentucky losing yesterday among others.  

The season is off to a good start

Tough ending to the Maui Classic losing on a buzzer beater to Texas but a good 3 days for a young team.  This team has real potential to be really good, a big test tomorrow at Iowa and the likely player of the year.  Good test for the young front court.

8 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

No I was simply insinuating the obvious - that they are better than the team that finished in 13th place (lol) in the ACC last year ;)

Teams like Texas get up to play the premiere programs in college basketball.  Playing a glorified mid major doesn't excite them.?

On 12/8/2020 at 2:30 PM, nj meadowlands said:

True - I'm sure Shaka didn't have to do much to psyche his boys up to play a team that wouldn't have made the CBI last year.

They haven't missed the tournament since 2010 so I don't know what you are talking about.

• Haha 1

Tough week for Carolina, they did a great job on Luka Garza at Iowa but unfortunately iowa hit 17 threes.  Once again they fell into a big early hole and came all the way back to take the lead before running out of gas late.  Then they started allow against NC central before dominating most of the second half then fell asleep the final few minutes to make it look close.

This team is a really talented, they are going to get better but I don't see this rollercoaster ride ending anytime soon.

Another slow start and another great comeback.  They have to figure out a way to start a little faster but once they get going they are really good.

Kentucky's record is bad but they will be much better later in the year.  They were supposed to play ohio State, for some reason they switched UK to Carolina and UCLA to OSU.  Even though UK is down right now it's always nice to watch the Heels beat them.

Up next ACC play begins tomorrow vs NC State.  

• 2 weeks later...

Last year made sense with a team without depth and key injuries but this year didn't as they are really deep(even with a couple of good players out) and really talented.  I have confidence they'll get it together, hopefully eeking out that W vs ND gets that started.  

They found a way to win at Miami, I know they were undermanned but you take any wins you can get right now.  The Clemson game would have been a nice test but it was postponed so the next game is tomorrow vs Syracuse.  Until that last game before the world went nuts Carolina had dominated SU.  Syracuse crushed them that night but hopefully things get back to normal tomorrow.

A good week for the Heels, the usual beating if syracuse followed by a tough loss at Florida State.  They are getting better, FSU is a good team and they got some gone cookin but still couldn't put the Heels away until the final minute.  They went 26 of 27 at the line while the Heels only attempted 14 FTs.  To even have a chance late was a good job but Carolina. They have a bunch of winnable games coming up.  I think this is where they get going.

• 2 weeks later...

The Heels are getting better, nice win over NC State.  Their only loss in recent weeks was at a really good FSU team in a close game when FSU has been blowing everyone else out.

Big one tomorrow vs Pitt, they had been playing well until losing the other day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 12:21 PM, nj meadowlands said:

UNC, Dook, Michigan State, Kentucky all outside the top 25.  ?

If not for covid cancelling games the Heels would likely be back in.  They are getting better but these long delays are hurting them.

Oh and now Kansas is out too, all the greatest programs area struggling but it's nice to give attention to the lesser programs for once

I haven't posted since last week so I must mention beating duke.  I don't care that they suck, to give K more pain is always fun.  

• 2 weeks later...

A lot has happened since I last posted.  Miami chickened out because of covid so that game got cancelled, they lost to UVa, they scheduled a last minute game with Northeastern then BC was cancelled then scheduled a handy with Marquette for this Wednesday but Saturday evening they absolutely whipped louisville.  UL was coming off a couple of weeks not playing because of covid so they deserve a little excuse but man Carolina was great that night.

As great as they played vs louisville last Saturday they played that badly against Marquette the other night.  What an awful loss.  Tomorrow they have a great opportunity at home vs FSU who is likely the best team in a very bad ACC.  Some fans are allowed back in the building for the first time so hopefully that helps.  

The roller coaster goes back up after they knocked off FSU.  If they finished poorly they could have missed the tournament for the first time since 2010 but now they are a lock.  They play at Syracuse tonight who they always best so hopefully that continues.