Legal question

GlennFoley

You would rather have a criminal record than a suspended license? Wake up. Running away was very foolish, you effed up, stay and take the consequences. You may find yourself uninsurable after that dopey stunt (assuming you had insurance to begin with). Take the suspension, go to whatever classes necessary to remove some of the black stain from your record and use your noggin next time.

Glenn Foley- two pieces of advice one sarcastic and the other real-

Do no play around with driving a car where you can hurt yourself and other people and wreck lives. Second remember we have GOB as a moderator that is a cop with connections

I was arrested yesterday for speeding after sideswiping a car in a school parking lot, and running.

I really don't want them to suspend my liscence. Can I request jailtime instead of liscnece suspension?

Nice Job Genius, because no one in a high school lot would know your car right???

You just went from a Private Property Accident report to a Misdemeanor charge (At least in MICH) of Failing to ID at the scene of an accident. Good thing you didn't cause injuries, because (at least in MICH) that's a Felony.

Now that I'm done yelling here' my 2 cents worth of help from my experience. I'm an out of state police officer, not a lawyer, so take it with a grain of salt as I know nothing about your local laws/ordinances.

1) If this is your first misdemeanor driving offense I seriously doubt you'll get any jail time, period. You're young, made a stupid mistake and the court will take that into account. Besides I'm sure the county jail is like ours, bulging at the seams with real criminals. Barring you not having a history of doing this and not doing anything stupid during the adjuducation of this charge, you'll get probation. If you're court allows it and the court felt it neccessary to give you jail (which they won't) MAYBE you'll do a few weekends in the local jail. (Again this is my experience in Mich, I say so time whatsoever)

2. As for your license suspension, you have to understand that the courts and the DMV [in Michigan we call it the Secretary of State (SOS)] are two seperate entities. The judge does not impose license suspensions nor should he have the power to do so, just as the DMV does not have any say in the criminal portion of it. (again keep in mind that is in MI) When your charge is ajudicated, a notice will be sent to DMV stating that you have been convicted of Failing to ID at the scene of an accident, and as such, the DMV will assess THEIR (Not the court's) penalty against your license based upon their rules/regulations. They may suspend it, they may restrict it, or they may just assess points and DO NOTHING ELSE.

3. What you may want to do is see if the court will be willing to work out some sort of a plea deal with you since it's a first offense (I hope). They may be willing to plea it down to a lesser charge.

4. Honestly I don't think your license will get suspeneded either. If it looks like it may, request that the license be restricted, allowing you to drive to/from work, to/from school, to/from specific events. They'll probably be willing to do that too.

5. In MI your offense is a chicken sh*t 90 day misdemeanor and I can't imagine it's much more there, so don't do anything stupid or off the cuff in the meantime. I seriously doubt you're looking at jail or a suspension.

Nice Job Genius, because no one in a high school lot would know your car right???

You just went from a Private Property Accident report to a Misdemeanor charge (At least in MICH) of Failing to ID at the scene of an accident. Good thing you didn't cause injuries, because (at least in MICH) that's a Felony.

Now that I'm done yelling here' my 2 cents worth of help from my experience. I'm an out of state police officer, not a lawyer, so take it with a grain of salt as I know nothing about your local laws/ordinances.

1) If this is your first misdemeanor driving offense I seriously doubt you'll get any jail time, period. You're young, made a stupid mistake and the court will take that into account. Besides I'm sure the county jail is like ours, bulging at the seams with real criminals. Barring you not having a history of doing this and not doing anything stupid during the adjuducation of this charge, you'll get probation. If you're court allows it and the court felt it neccessary to give you jail (which they won't) MAYBE you'll do a few weekends in the local jail. (Again this is my experience in Mich, I say so time whatsoever)

2. As for your license suspension, you have to understand that the courts and the DMV [in Michigan we call it the Secretary of State (SOS)] are two seperate entities. The judge does not impose license suspensions nor should he have the power to do so, just as the DMV does not have any say in the criminal portion of it. (again keep in mind that is in MI) When your charge is ajudicated, a notice will be sent to DMV stating that you have been convicted of Failing to ID at the scene of an accident, and as such, the DMV will assess THEIR (Not the court's) penalty against your license based upon their rules/regulations. They may suspend it, they may restrict it, or they may just assess points and DO NOTHING ELSE.

3. What you may want to do is see if the court will be willing to work out some sort of a plea deal with you since it's a first offense (I hope). They may be willing to plea it down to a lesser charge.

4. Honestly I don't think your license will get suspeneded either. If it looks like it may, request that the license be restricted, allowing you to drive to/from work, to/from school, to/from specific events. They'll probably be willing to do that too.

5. In MI your offense is a chicken Sh#t 90 day misdemeanor and I can't imagine it's much more there, so don't do anything stupid or off the cuff in the meantime. I seriously doubt you're looking at jail or a suspension.

Thats good.. It is my second offense. My first was a 50$ parking ticket. Anyway I ran, because I hit a girls car and was embarassed. It was a very embarassing moment. I didn't see any parking spaces, and my pickup truck is kinda big and i couldn't really fit in that space..

Oh well.. How bad can jail be?

Archived