What We Don't Know

BettyBoop

10 hours ago, RoadFan said:

But according to what I saw last season, Trumaine Johnson spent most games competing with Spencer Long for the label of worst player on the field.  

The only positive I can find about Tru is actually a negative.  His effort last season stunk, so maybe he is capable of more....

I was listening to Sirius NFL yesterday and they were talking about how much improved the Bills’ OL was, and how they expected Spencer Long to start at Guard.  Let’s see how he plays this year.   I think his biggest issue was trying to snap a ball with a broken hand.  

Trumaine is a mercenary who was probably made that way because he was franchised twice.  He will be better this year because he either does not want to be cut and/or wants someone to sign him after he gets cut.  The Jets should move on from him as soon as he makes sense.  

10 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I admire optimism.  It is a better attitude than being a pessimist like myself.  Even a mild optimism like Fish.

But according to what I saw last season, Trumaine Johnson spent most games competing with Spencer Long for the label of worst player on the field.  

The only positive I can find about Tru is actually a negative.  His effort last season stunk, so maybe he is capable of more....

Nevertheless, I can't even bring myself to expect average play from him.  He was dreadful at every aspect of playing defense.

I think (hope) that one of the big changes this season will be that this coaching staff will actually hold players accountable.  Trumaine was able to play like he did last year because there was zero chance Bowles was going to bench him or punish him in any way because he never held anyone accountable.  

Williams will be in these guys faces if they half-ass their effort, something Im very much looking forward to.

Years ago we had a no name center that Jet fans critiqued as below average. We let him walk & he won a Super Bowl as the starting center for Drew Brees & the Saints. His name was Jonathon Goodwin. 

Darnolds development could help out this Oline with the addition of OK. Yes, we need to start drafting more Oline but I'm not as concerned about the center position with Harrison as I am about LT & Winters. I'm not sure I want to pass on a Stud WR or TE or edge rusher if we trade back & have a #2. I have no problem using 1 of our 3rds for a future center.

Still Unknown QB Stuff...

• The key unknown is Kyler Murray.  Are teams really in love with him or aren't they?  If they are, exactly how many teams are we talking about? 
  • And the silence around Dwayne Haskins has been deafening.  It's almost as if he's not in the draft anymore.  Has he really fallen off that far or are teams just being coy?  Are the Phins hoping he'll be there at #13?
  • Is Drew Lock the wildcard here?  Is Elway the one and only GM in love with him?
  • I find it hard to believe the Giants are interested in Murray.  If they are, will Gettleman break all the rules and cut a deal with the J-Men?
  • What the heck are Chucky and Cheesy thinking in Oakland?  The only way they use one of their first round picks for a QB is if they have a deal in place to trade Carr but who wants a $22mm used Carr???

On 4/20/2019 at 11:04 AM, BettyBoop said:

With so many holes to fill and so few draft picks left, there are many questions that none of us have answers for.  For example:

• How do Gase and Williams really feel about Daryl Roberts as the #2 CB.  The contract they gave him is for starters money but do they really feel comfortable with Roberts and Trumaine?
  • Does Williams think he can "fix" Trumaine?  I certainly hope so.
  • BIG QUESTION; Is anyone in Florham Park comfortable starting Harrison at center.  I really hope not.
  • What does Gase think about Leggett?  Do we need to draft another TE?
  • Is there hope for Sheppard?  Fotokasi?  Can either be a decent rotational DT?
  • Will McGuire and Cannon be on the team this year?  Do we need another late round RB?

So many questions.  So little time.

Ignoring the Draft and simply focusing on the Jets current needs, I'd rank them as follows:

1. Center (no starter on roster.  Harrison is NOT a starting caliber C.  Yes, I'm disagreeing with Gase and would love to be proven wrong.)

2. Edge rusher (no real starter on roster.  We can convince ourselves that we'll get enough pressure with Jenkins, Copeland, etc. but that's a farce)

3. CB (very weak CB2 and this is a risk when you don't have #2 above)

T4. OG/OT (mediocre starter at RG and RT is a question mark with Shell's health. Beachum is still decent but a hold-the-fort guy)

T6. TE (Herndon, Leggett, Tomlinson are an interesting mix but none are really proven and Herndon needs to take another step and assert that he's valuable TE1) / WR (We have a lot of decent WR2's and no real WR1.  Robby is on a 1-year deal.)

Am I way off?

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Am I way off?

No.  You are right on.   

This is really the answer to the why don’t the Jets want any of the big 3?

Because they have a FQB but at least five enormous holes on the roster. 

Archived