Pete Alonso 2019 NL ROY

The Crimson King

11 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

29 of 30 votes

the idiot who voted for Soroka should be banned from ever voting again 

next up: deGrom's second Cy Young

It was some guy from something called The Atlantic....said he put the Brave guy 1st because he gave up very few homers. Now we know why guys like Harold Baines get in the Hall of Fame.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, section314 said:

It was some guy from something called The Atlantic....said he put the Brave guy 1st because he gave up very few homers. Now we know why guys like Harold Baines get in the Hall of Fame.

The guy actually was pretty fair about it and wrote a piece on why he made his vote. It carried some validity, but probably is more a way to get noticed.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Now if Pete can become the next Freddie Freeman with power, average and glove. Rosario builds on last season, JD keeps developing and Conforto and McNeil take the next step, we have very good building blocks.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Now if Pete can become the next Freddie Freeman with power, average and glove. Rosario builds on last season, JD keeps developing and Conforto and McNeil take the next step, we have very good building blocks.  

t'would be nice …  we deserve it  :)

Need to build up the farm system (again). Just hire the right guys.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Young, controllable building blocks that they MUST build around now, while they have the flexibility.

Mets need to go all in with a "win now" mode. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, section314 said:

Change this to Red Sox for Betts and you have my vote?

Betts is an impending Free Agent and I do not see the Mets re-signing him for what he will demand, so Syndergaard is far too expensive a price.

From the Padres I would want Francisco Mejia (C), Manuel Margot (CF) and one high end prospect.

Of course, Mets would then need to trade Ramos.

This would give them affordable and controllable players and solve 2 spots of current need.

7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Betts is an impending Free Agent and I do not see the Mets re-signing him for what he will demand, so Syndergaard is far too expensive a price.

From the Padres I would want Francisco Mejia (C), Manuel Margot (CF) and one high end prospect.

Of course, Mets would then need to trade Ramos.

This would give them affordable and controllable players and solve 2 spots of current need.

Would think an AL team would like him for a DH and occasional day/night behind the plate. I think Padres are gonna go hard for Cole or Strasburg, if he gets to FA.

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

Would think an AL team would like him for a DH and occasional day/night behind the plate. I think Padres are gonna go hard for Cole or Strasburg, if he gets to FA.

Read today that the Padres are probably not going to be able to sign either (Strasburg did opt out, is a FA, but expected to re-sign with Nats). 

Padres supposedly may now target Wheeler or trades.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/padres-ready-to-package-prospects-to-improve-mlb-roster.html

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Read today that the Padres are probably not going to be able to sign either (Strasburg did opt out, is a FA, but expected to re-sign with Nats). 

Padres supposedly may now target Wheeler or trades.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/padres-ready-to-package-prospects-to-improve-mlb-roster.html

Hoping we can re-sign Wheeler to tighten the market for trading for an affordable starter (Thor). Hopefully he likes the direction the team is heading in and the clubhouse atmosphere. 

• Upvote 2

Cano, Diazand & Nimmo must stay healthy and step up their play.

Conforto must be able to take it to the next level and keep the strikeouts down.

Thor needs to dominate again & the bullpen be 100% better.

Interesting article below.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/mlb-sources-on-what-mets-should-do-with-6-potential-trade-candidates/311342982

The following six players (and four others) all have value to the Mets, but may also have value to other teams via trade.

I asked two rival team executives and two people in player development if the Mets should keep or push to trade each player.

Here are the results along with my reaction...

Wilson Ramos

MLB Insiders: 4 Keep, 0 Trade

He isn't perfect. And Brodie Van Wagenen last winter clearly preferred Yasmani Grandal. However, despite a rocky start, Ramos hit .350 with 15 extra base hits during the team's final 45 games, all of which had them fighting for a spot in the postseason.

More importantly, he is under contract this season, will be paid $10 million and can be a free agent at the end of the year. Grandal or no Grandal, the Mets aren't signing a 2.0 WAR catcher to that contract who can hit like Ramos with a full year under his belt working with their pitching staff.

I agree with the above sources. Ramos may not have been the preferred option last winter, but he is now...

Dominic Smith

MLB Insiders: 2 Keep, 2 Trade

Smith has gone from top prospect to big-league question mark in less than 18 months. He has shown he is a major-league player, but is there room for him with the Mets?

Pete Alonso will be the team's first baseman through the foreseeable future. In the outfield next season, the Mets will have Michael Conforto, Brandon Nimmo, potentially Jeff McNeil (if he isn't at third base), and possibly J.D. Davis and Yoenis Cespedes.

According to the above insiders, teams will be intrigued by Smith because he comes with nearly zero risk and a projectable upside. He can field first base, hit, is a wonderful teammate, just 24 years old, earning the league minimum the next two seasons, and he's under team control through 2024.

I'd try to trade him. However, if it doesn't pan out, he can stick and continue serving as a much-needed, left-handed bat off the bench, backup to Alonso and fill-in corner outfielder.

Van Wagenen can then revisit Smith's trade value next summer.

J.D. Davis

MLB Insiders: 2 Keep, 2 Trade

Davis is a tough call. I'm not surprised it's a 2-2 split. On one hand, he's a 26-year-old third baseman that just hit .310 and 22 home runs during a sporadic 453 at-bats. 

He's like the new Kevin Mitchell.

At the same time, because he's 26, hit .310 and had 22 home runs, not to mention he's earning the league minimum and under contract through 2024, he could be Van Wagenen's best shot at a trade that helps upgrade his pitching staff.

Similar to Mitchell, Davis can play multiple positions and I have no doubt that if traded he will go on to crush 40-plus home runs and make us regret the day he was dealt. I mean, that's how it goes, right?

Again, though, if he can be swapped for a promising, affordable starting pitcher, it's hard to not at least consider making a trade.

raw.jpg

Michael Conforto

Conforto, who has improved every season, is coming off 33 home runs and 92 RBI. He's also a quiet leader, has proven he can handle New York, he's played in the postseason and he's crazy competitive. 

I'm sticking to my prediction that, with Alonso batting around him, Conforto will soon win an MVP.

Van Wagenen shouldn't trade him, he should give him a contract extension. 

Noah Syndergaard

MLB Insiders: 3 Keep, 1 Trade

I teeter on Syndergaard because it's hard to believe he isn't inches from some sort of major surgery. It's just the nature of pitching, especially given his power and mechanics. Nevertheless, here he is, defying physics and having a ton of fun doing it.

He could bring in a haul of young talent if traded -- something Van Wagenen strongly suggested will not happen this offseason. Like Conforto, there is major value in guys that love New York, understand the fans and can handle the pressure of playing here. He's one of those guys and there's no lock that anyone he's traded for will have the same results.

If the Mets are going to rebuild, fine, trade Syndergaard. If they're again pushing for the postseason, he has to stay and continue being a vital part of the rotation. 

Seth Lugo

Lugo can be a closer, middle reliever, starting pitcher and an Andrew Miller-like, multi-inning reliever and do it all to great success and without skipping a beat. Like Conforto and Syndergaard, he's done it under the pressures of New York. 

Lugo is the guy who, if a free agent, we'd be begging Van Wagenen to sign and upgrade the bullpen with. Well, he's already here, which is exactly where he should stay.

For what it's worth, at least three of the four insiders also feel the Mets should keep pitchers Justin Wilson, Edwin Diaz, Jeurys Familia and Steven Matz. The argument being that, if Van Wagenen wants to win in 2020, he'll want to get back big-league talent for the above four -- and that's unlikely to happen in the current economy. And if he accepted back prospects, he'd then need to replace these people on the open market, which will be difficult to do given each player's upside, track record or current contract.

• Upvote 1