Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Crimson King

Baseball Trivia

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

What were the original seat colors at Shea, bottom to top (Field, Loge. Mezz, UD)

Field....yellow

Loge......tan/brown

Mezz.......blue

UD...light green

  

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I was late in putting up a replacement question, I'll give two......first is the replacement, second is extra credit😁.

 1) 1966, the Mets, after a drawn out process, were awarded Tom Seaver, and the rest is history. The following year, 1967, the Mets again had the chance to draft an all time great, this time Mr.October, Reggie Jackson, but passed. Who was the immortal player we picked over Reggie?

2) The Montreal Expos played the first MLB game in their history April 8, 1969, at Shea Stadium. I was actually there as an 11 year old with my mom and dad. Who were the two starting pitchers?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, section314 said:

Since I was late in putting up a replacement question, I'll give two......first is the replacement, second is extra credit😁.

 1) 1966, the Mets, after a drawn out process, were awarded Tom Seaver, and the rest is history. The following year, 1967, the Mets again had the chance to draft an all time great, this time Mr.October, Reggie Jackson, but passed. Who was the immortal player we picked over Reggie?

2) The Montreal Expos played the first MLB game in their history April 8, 1969, at Shea Stadium. I was actually there as an 11 year old with my mom and dad. Who were the two starting pitchers?

I will play and do so without any search engine so I am probably wrong.

1. It was a catcher. Was the last name Chilcott?

2. I will go with the obvious -Seaver vs Steve Rogers

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, section314 said:

Since I was late in putting up a replacement question, I'll give two......first is the replacement, second is extra credit😁.

 1) 1966, the Mets, after a drawn out process, were awarded Tom Seaver, and the rest is history. The same year, the Mets again had the chance to draft an all time great, this time Mr.October, Reggie Jackson, but passed. Who was the immortal player we picked over Reggie?

2) The Montreal Expos played the first MLB game in their history April 8, 1969, at Shea Stadium. I was actually there as an 11 year old with my mom and dad. Who were the two starting pitchers?

good ones !

I'm not going to answer both questions because we want more participants asking questions so I'll take the harder of the two and leave one for the next question answerer. Oh, and if no one answers in a few days, you have to ask another one (forgot that rule) 

The answer to #2 is Tom Seaver for the Mets (of course) and Jim "Mudcat" Grant for Montreal. I remember that game in detail because my best friend and I were there too, Must have been spring vacation in school (10th grade) because it was a day game and a lot happened. Grant got knocked out early and his replacement, Dan McGinn a little remembered reliever, homered off Seaver for the first HR in Expos history. Several ex and future Mets played, Don Shaw got the win in relief. The great Mets CF's Don Bosch came in to strikeout (and get booed). Rusty started in RF and homered. The Mets were down 11-6 going into the bottom of the 9th. Mets scored a run with 2 out and 2 on then Duffy Dyer hit a PH 3 run HR to make it 11-10 (off of Shaw I believe). A single and a walk and suddenly the tying run was on second. Rod Gasper K'd to end it (forgot who came in for Shaw after the Dyer HR). Great day at Shea even though they lost. Biggest accomplishment that day was my friend and I eating all 8 sandwiches Mom made for us before the LIRR got to Jamaica. A most impressive performance. 

That game would represent one of 2 times a franchise played their first game at Shea but that is a question for another time

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

29 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I will play and do so without any search engine so I am probably wrong.

1. It was a catcher. Was the last name Chilcott?

2. I will go with the obvious -Seaver vs Steve Rogers

No search engine, THAT'S how you play this game. Good job on Chilcott and since I answered the second question (for some reason, it didn't show)  after your first I have to ask the next question. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard for me not to make all questions Mets trivia so I'll make an effort to try others.

What was the original name of the franchise that became the New York Yankees? (HINT: It is NOT the New York Highlanders)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Hard for me not to make all questions Mets trivia so I'll make an effort to try others.

What was the original name of the franchise that became the New York Yankees? (HINT: It is NOT the New York Highlanders)

Wasn't it the Baltimore Orioles. 

Pretty sure they played a few seasons in Baltimore before moving to NY when the American League was formed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I will play and do so without any search engine so I am probably wrong.

1. It was a catcher. Was the last name Chilcott?

2. I will go with the obvious -Seaver vs Steve Rogers

Correct on #1. half right on #2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

good ones !

I'm not going to answer both questions because we want more participants asking questions so I'll take the harder of the two and leave one for the next question answerer. Oh, and if no one answers in a few days, you have to ask another one (forgot that rule) 

The answer to #2 is Tom Seaver for the Mets (of course) and Jim "Mudcat" Grant for Montreal. I remember that game in detail because my best friend and I were there too, Must have been spring vacation in school (10th grade) because it was a day game and a lot happened. Grant got knocked out early and his replacement, Dan McGinn a little remembered reliever, homered off Seaver for the first HR in Expos history. Several ex and future Mets played, Don Shaw got the win in relief. The great Mets CF's Don Bosch came in to strikeout (and get booed). Rusty started in RF and homered. The Mets were down 11-6 going into the bottom of the 9th. Mets scored a run with 2 out and 2 on then Duffy Dyer hit a PH 3 run HR to make it 11-10 (off of Shaw I believe). A single and a walk and suddenly the tying run was on second. Rod Gasper K'd to end it (forgot who came in for Shaw after the Dyer HR). Great day at Shea even though they lost. Biggest accomplishment that day was my friend and I eating all 8 sandwiches Mom made for us before the LIRR got to Jamaica. A most impressive performance. 

That game would represent one of 2 times a franchise played their first game at Shea but that is a question for another time

Correct, and great memories. Who would have dreamed leaving the Big Shea that day what would happen there in October.😎

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lith said:

Wasn't it the Baltimore Orioles. 

Pretty sure they played a few seasons in Baltimore before moving to NY when the American League was formed.

Wow

Excellent work here

When they formed the AL, the NY Giants blocked a NY team from playing in what I think was Hilltop Park. The franchise instead went to Baltimore as the Orioles for a couple of years until they came to an agreement with the Giants to move to NY, becoming of course the Highlanders 

Bottom line? Only one current NY MLB team was originated in New York :)

OK Lith, you're up ...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Wow

Excellent work here

When they formed the AL, the NY Giants blocked a NY team from playing in what I think was Hilltop Park. The franchise instead went to Baltimore as the Orioles for a couple of years until they came to an agreement with the Giants to move to NY, becoming of course the Highlanders 

Bottom line? Only one current NY MLB team was originated in New York :)

OK Lith, you're up ...

I have read a few books on the 1890s Orioles teams.  John Mcgraw, Wee Willie Keeler, Dan Brouthers, Hughie Jennings to name a few.  It was a different franchise than the Orioles team that became the Yankees, but I love the history from turn of the century.  

I will throw out a related question.  The current Baltimore Oriole franchise moved from St Louis where they were the Browns, but they actually originated in another city before moving to St Louis. 

What was the city/franchise name where the current Oriole team originated?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lith said:

I have read a ton of books on the 1890s Orioles teams.  Mcgraw, Wee Willie Keeler, Dan Brouthers, Hughie Jennings to name a few.  It was a different franchise than the Orioles team that became the Yankees, but I love the history from turn of the century.  

I will throw out a related question.  The current Baltimore Oriole franchise moved from St Louis where they were the Browns, but they actually originated in another city before moving to St Louis. 

What was the city/franchise name where the current Oriole team originated?

 

Great question. I don't want to Bogart this thread so I'll just add a hint: It was the first of three franchises to play in that city, including one now with the same nickname

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

good ones !

I'm not going to answer both questions because we want more participants asking questions so I'll take the harder of the two and leave one for the next question answerer. Oh, and if no one answers in a few days, you have to ask another one (forgot that rule) 

The answer to #2 is Tom Seaver for the Mets (of course) and Jim "Mudcat" Grant for Montreal. I remember that game in detail because my best friend and I were there too, Must have been spring vacation in school (10th grade) because it was a day game and a lot happened. Grant got knocked out early and his replacement, Dan McGinn a little remembered reliever, homered off Seaver for the first HR in Expos history. Several ex and future Mets played, Don Shaw got the win in relief. The great Mets CF's Don Bosch came in to strikeout (and get booed). Rusty started in RF and homered. The Mets were down 11-6 going into the bottom of the 9th. Mets scored a run with 2 out and 2 on then Duffy Dyer hit a PH 3 run HR to make it 11-10 (off of Shaw I believe). A single and a walk and suddenly the tying run was on second. Rod Gasper K'd to end it (forgot who came in for Shaw after the Dyer HR). Great day at Shea even though they lost. Biggest accomplishment that day was my friend and I eating all 8 sandwiches Mom made for us before the LIRR got to Jamaica. A most impressive performance. 

That game would represent one of 2 times a franchise played their first game at Shea but that is a question for another time

This is an interesting question. I am gonna go off the rails here and say it was the Houston Astros after changing from the Colt45's. national league still only had 10 teams so no divisions yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, section314 said:

Kansas City.

Nope.  Not KC.  But here is another hint. 

The Browns/Orioles played 1 season in this city before moving to St Louis and eventually to Baltimore.  The current franchise of the same name also played 1 season in another city before moving to its current home,

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lith said:

Nope.  Not KC.  But here is another hint. 

The Browns/Orioles played 1 season in this city before moving to St Louis and eventually to Baltimore.  The current franchise of the same name also played 1 season in another city before moving to its current home,

Gotta be Philadelphia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, section314 said:

Gotta be Philadelphia.

Nope.  Not Philly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Nope.  Not Philly. 

Wow. I am not using any books etc. to get help. Is it a major league franchise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Wow. I am not using any books etc. to get help. Is it a major league franchise?

Yes.  It is currently a major league franchise of the same name.  Played one season out west and then moved to the midwest.  Probably the only place  in the Majors where you can get fried cheese curds at a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know we're busy answering Lith's, but I'd like to throw some out there, as I love trivia:

 

1) Babe Ruth was the first player to have consecutive 40 HR seasons, and did it three times in the 1920s (including 7 straight from 1926-32).  Who was the second different hitter to accompish the feat?

2) Three different times in MLB history (1956, 1967, 1977), the Rookie of the Year winners in both leagues ended up in the Hall of Fame.  Name those three duos.  

3) This pitcher held the World Series record for consecutive scoreless innings from 1918 until 1961.   

4) Prior to 1995 (Barry Larkin), the National League hadn't had a SS win MVP since 1962.  Who was it?

5) Who hit the most career HR all-time against the Mets, with 60?

6) Only 2 hitters have recorded 12,000+ at-bats AND a .300+ career batting average.  Name them.  

7) What pitcher had the most wins in the 2000s?

8 ) In 1980, this NL hitter recorded 578 at-bats but only struck out 18 times.  Who was he?

9) Who is the only hitter in MLB history to record 2,000+ RBI's AND collect 500+ RBIs in each league?

10) Only three players were named All-Stars in the 1930s, 1940s AND 1950s.  Name them.  

 

*** Answers Below ***

 

 

 

1) Answered correctly by @section314Chuck Klein

2) Answered correctly by @The Crimson KingLuis Aparicio/Frank Robinson; Rod Carew/Tom Seaver; Eddie Murray/Andre Dawson

3) Answered correctly by @LithBabe Ruth

4) Answered correctly by @LithMaury Wills

5) Answered correctly by @The Crimson KingWillie Stargell

6) Answered correctly by @The Crimson KingPete Rose & Hank Aaron

7) Answered correctly by @LithAndy Pettitte

8 ) Answered correctly by @section314:  Bill Buckner

9) Answered correctly by @Lith:  Albert Pujols

10) Answered correctly by multiple posters:  Joe DiMaggio, Bob Feller, Johnny Mize

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

3) This pitcher held the World Series record for consecutive scoreless innings from 1918 until 1961.  

4) Prior to 1995 (Barry Larkin), the National League hadn't had a SS win MVP since 1962.  Who was it?

 

3.  Babe Ruth.

4. Ernie Banks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lith said:

3.  Babe Ruth.

4. Ernie Banks

3 is correct!

Good guess on 4, but no.  Ernie won MVP in 1958 and '59.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

3 is correct!

Good guess on 4, but no.  Ernie won MVP in 1958 and '59.  

Dick Groat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Dick Groat?

Also a good guess, but no.  He won it in 1960.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Also a good guess, but no.  He won it in 1960.  

Should have known better.  Pirates won it all in 60, so that makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Also a good guess, but no.  He won it in 1960.  

Last guess.  And I am pretty sure this one is right.  Maury Wills -- the season he stole 104 bases.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Last guess.  And I am pretty sure this one is right.  Maury Wills -- the season he stole 104 bases.  

Correct!  Well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2) Three different times in MLB history (1956, 1967, 1977), the Rookie of the Year winners in both leagues ended up in the Hall of Fame.  Name those three duos.  

'56 Aparicio & F Robby, '67 Seaver and Carew.  '77 Dawson and Murray (?)

5) Who hit the most career HR all-time against the Mets, with 60?

Pops Stargell by a lot. Also hit the first one at Shea

6) Only 2 hitters have recorded 12,000+ at-bats AND a .300+ career batting average.  Name them.  

I think only two had that many AB's: Rose and Aaron (Henry, not Tommie). Not sure if Aaron hit .300 lifetime, but Rose sure did so I'll go with those two

EXCELLENT questions !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lith said:

Yes.  It is currently a major league franchise of the same name.  Played one season out west and then moved to the midwest.  Probably the only place  in the Majors where you can get fried cheese curds at a game.

Milwaukee. Moved from Seattle after 1969 season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I know we're busy answering Lith's, but I'd like to throw some out there, as I love trivia:

 

1) Babe Ruth was the first player to have consecutive 40 HR seasons, and did it three times in the 1920s (including 7 straight from 1926-32).  Who was the second different hitter to accompish the feat?

2) Three different times in MLB history (1956, 1967, 1977), the Rookie of the Year winners in both leagues ended up in the Hall of Fame.  Name those three duos.  

3) This pitcher held the World Series record for consecutive scoreless innings from 1918 until 1961.   

4) Prior to 1995 (Barry Larkin), the National League hadn't had a SS win MVP since 1962.  Who was it?

5) Who hit the most career HR all-time against the Mets, with 60?

6) Only 2 hitters have recorded 12,000+ at-bats AND a .300+ career batting average.  Name them.  

7) What pitcher had the most wins in the 2000s?

8 ) In 1980, this NL hitter recorded 578 at-bats but only struck out 18 times.  Who was he?

9) Who is the only hitter in MLB history to record 2,000+ RBI's AND collect 500+ RBIs in each league?

10) Only three players were named All-Stars in the 1930s, 1940s AND 1950s.  Name them.  

 

*** Answers Below ***

 

 

 

 

3) Answered correctly by @Lith:  Babe Ruth

4) Answered correctly by @Lith:  Maury Wills

8    Tony Gywnn

9   Frank Robinson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, section314 said:

Milwaukee. Moved from Seattle after 1969 season.

Got it. 

The 1901 Milwaukee Brewers also set a record in their first ever game.  They blew a 13-4 lead in the 9th inning of their first game against the Tigers.  I am pretty sure the 9 run lead is still the biggest 9th inning lead any team has ever lost.  Heck of a way to start a franchise.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...