Baseball Trivia

The Crimson King

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I read the article in the Post just yesterday. John Shelby. That was a dagger. Talk about taking the swagger out of a team that had uber swagger. Straight to the heart. 

Great post and so true. Darling’s quote about losing that series” we had a chance to go down as a great team but instead are just remembered for having one great season. It’s a huge difference” is 100% spot on. 

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...

@section314 @The Crimson King @TuscanyTile2 @Lith @Scott Dierking and anyone else interested:

Earlier today I saw a clip of Danny Jackson tossing an immaculate inning in the ‘85 World Series - the only pitcher to accomplish the feat in the WS.  It got me looking up just how many times the feat has been accomplished.

Answer:  114 times by 104 pitchers.  113 of those have occurred since 1900, with a huge uptick in the frequency starting in the 60s.

However:  Only pitchers have accomplished the feat more than once, with 3 of those doing it 3 different times.  It’s an impressive list that includes 3 active pitchers.

How many of the 7 can you name?  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@section314 @The Crimson King @TuscanyTile2 @Lith @Scott Dierking and anyone else interested:

Earlier today I saw a clip of Danny Jackson tossing an immaculate inning in the ‘85 World Series - the only pitcher to accomplish the feat.  It got me looking up just how many times the feat has been accomplished.

Answer:  114 times by 104 pitchers.  113 of those have occurred since 1900, with a huge uptick in the frequency starting in the 60s.

However:  Only pitchers have accomplished the feat more than once, with 3 of those doing it 3 different times.  It’s an impressive list that includes 3 active pitchers.

First trivia of the year👍I’ll go Koufax, Carlton, JR Richard and Smoltz for the older guys. For active.  deGrom, Kershaw and Verlander.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, section314 said:

First trivia of the year👍I’ll go Koufax, Carlton, JR Richard and Smoltz for the older guys. For active.  deGrom, Kershaw and Verlander.

Just to be different, going to pick 7 different guys than you.

Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson, Bob Gibson and Pedro Martinez would be my guesses as the older guys.  And for the active players: Scherzer, Bumgarner and wild-ass guess for the 3rd: Aroldis Chapman.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Koufax is one!  He was the first in MLB history to do it 3x.  

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson, Bob Gibson and Pedro Martinez would be my guesses as the older guys.  And for the active players: Scherzer, Bumgarner and wild-ass guess for the 3rd: Aroldis Chapman.

Nolan, Randy and Scherzer are all correct!    Scherzer has done it 3x.

3 others did it - 1 older and 2 active.  Any additional guesses?

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bumgarner?  Verlander?  Doc Gooden? 

Ugh, 2 of these 3 have already been guessed.  Hmm...

Syndergaard?  Matt Harvey?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Earlier today I saw a clip of Danny Jackson tossing an immaculate inning in the ‘85 World Series - the only pitcher to accomplish the feat in the WS.  It got me looking up just how many times the feat has been accomplished.

Bill Pulsipher, Jason Isringhausen and Paul Wilson

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Was either Max or Verlander for me. Good job

3 hours ago, section314 said:

2 hours ago, Lith said:

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

31 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Bumgarner?  Verlander?  Doc Gooden? 

Ugh, 2 of these 3 have already been guessed.  Hmm...

Syndergaard?  Matt Harvey?

15 minutes ago, section314 said:

Was either Max or Verlander for me. Good job

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

Gonna guess Bob Feller for old guys. 

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fernando Valenzuela?

The other 3 are:  Lefty Grove, Chris Sale (3x) and believe it or not….Kevin Gausman!

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Was not at all surprised that Ryan did it.  Any records to do with strikeouts he is a pretty good guess, but what really surprised me is when I saw that the first time he did it was with the Mets in 1968.  I did not think he was capable of throwing 9 straight strikes at that stage of his career.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, Lith said:

Was not at all surprised that Ryan did it.  Any records to do with strikeouts he is a pretty good guess, but what really surprised me is when I saw that the first time he did it was with the Mets in 1968.  I did not think he was capable of throwing 9 straight strikes at that stage of his career.

That is why I didn’t put him in my guesses. I swore that Jake did it in one of those years when he was basically unhittable.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, section314 said:

That is why I didn’t put him in my guesses. I swore that Jake did it in one of those years when he was basically unhittable.

He learned to throw strikes by the time he got to Houston for the back end of his career, and the back end of his career was longer than some guys entire careers (Jake for example).

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Lith said:

He learned to throw strikes by the time he got to Houston for the back end of his career, and the back end of his career was longer than some guys entire careers (Jake for example).

It’s crazy that in the span of 2-3 years, the Mets traded Amos Otis and Nolan for washed up 3rd basemen, Joe Foy and Fregosi. At least when they traded Singleton we got Rusty, which is on of the best in franchise history.

• Upvote 1