Hakeem Butler visits the Jets

Rhg1084

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

lol i think the key was turning 40... i woke up and suddenly couldn't give AF anymore... best get to enjoyin' what time i have left! 

Ain’t that the truth.   I just turned 50 last month and the caring becomes less and less with each decade.   Embarrassing your children is a nice added bonus.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

When receivers and corners wash out for reasons that aren't readily apparent, it's generally because they're losing on too many reps at the line of scrimmage. This of course doesn't mean that the Hakeem Butlers of the world are out there getting Revised in the sternum and just falling down on every snap. The difference is a matter of getting the timing disrupted on a few more plays in a hundred than you're able to get away with. And this happens off camera or in practice. The NFL draft isn't necessarily the best at projecting the relevant attributes to translate, but at least they're able to see what they need to see.

On 9/8/2020 at 6:45 PM, Patriot Killa said:

By all accounts, Kingsbury seems like he genuinely liked the guy & still thought he was talented.

From what I’m reading, he didn’t have the route tree down to their liking & didn’t want to wait for him to catch up.

Seems like the most accurate take, especially now that we opted for Jaleel Scott over Butler.  It wasn't anything nefarious, and there weren't any off the field issues.  He just can't cut it as an NFL WR right now, and even if he ever does, teams simply don't want a project player like him right now.  This kind of hammers that home:

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/you-ve-got-mail-49ers-week-part-one-2020

You've Got Mail: 49ers Week, Part One

Topics include Larry Fitzgerald, practice squad protections, and the absent crowd

Sep 08, 2020 at 09:03 AM

NewUrbanMug

Darren Urban

azcardinals.com

"What's the story here, Darren? C'mon, out with it. What happened with Hakeem Butler behind the scenes? For him to not even make the practice squad means there is bad blood. It's feeling like a Robert Nkemdiche situation. So what stories have you heard? He late all the time, get in fights, what?"

I have never heard one thing about Butler being an issue off the field. He did struggle on the field however. Butler's raw tools were something to behold. But when coaches talk about receivers needing to be fluid, Butler never looked fluid. His consistency wasn't there. And sometimes, other guys are better. Kingsbury said Monday "it wasn't working here." When you see that they brought back three receivers to the practice squad ahead of him, that tells you the thought process. I did think JoJo Ward and A.J. Richardson had better camps (albeit I am not a personnel guy). With Patton, they kept a guy who has similar height as Butler. Sometimes with a roster move, it's the looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, it's a duck thing.