New coach new QB...

Thats the most logical choice if I'm JD. Why would I burden my new HC with a QB I didnt draft? Why would I risk a total fan insurrection by sticking to a QB who has not proven he can be a franchise QB in 3 years? Yes Darnold might improve, yes he is still young enough to grow and become a good QB, but why would I extend the benefit of the doubt to Darnold and not a rookie QB? 

Plus if I have any ego at all I would love to be known as the guy who finally drafted a winning QB for the NYJ since Joe Willy Namath

So far Darnold is not that guy and if he does become that guy he will always be MCCagnans guy not mine.

People will always mumble behind my back that my success was built by McCagnan. No way I pass on a QB at 2 if I'm JD. 

He can compliment Darnold for gutting out a few wins, but I think Darnold's time in NY has run out. Loved ya kid but its time you pack your bags and go.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

What if Darnold has another poor season and Wilson or Fields succeed? What then? How do you appease your fanbase? Besides even if Darnold has a bounce back year a 6-10, 7-9 season will be looked at as a success. Why not draft a QB while expectations are so low?

GMs want to cement their reputations and they do this by drafting their own guys. They won't say it out loud but they think this way. Thats why the first thing they do when they get hired is do a house cleaning. 

Whether we like it or not this is a reality, these people have huge egos.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Slikmojet! said:

What if Darnold has another poor season and Wilson or Fields succeed? What then? How do you appease your fanbase? Besides even if Darnold has a bounce back year a 6-10, 7-9 season will be looked at as a success. Why not draft a QB while expectations are so low?

GMs want to cement their reputations and they do this by drafting their own guys. They won't say it out loud but they think this way. Thats why the first thing they do when they get hired is do a house cleaning. 

Jet fans still supported them after Marino and Mahomes so they will just wait for the next hope.

31 minutes ago, Slikmojet! said:

That’s why you draft the QB and keep Darnold.

1 hour ago, Slikmojet! said:

Thats the most logical choice if I'm JD. Why would I burden my new HC with a QB I didnt draft? Why would I risk a total fan insurrection by sticking to a QB who has not proven he can be a franchise QB in 3 years? Yes Darnold might improve, yes he is still young enough to grow and become a good QB, but why would I extend the benefit of the doubt to Darnold and not a rookie QB? 

Plus if I have any ego at all I would love to be known as the guy who finally drafted a winning QB for the NYJ since Joe Willy Namath

So far Darnold is not that guy and if he does become that guy he will always be MCCagnans guy not mine.

People will always mumble behind my back that my success was built by McCagnan. No way I pass on a QB at 2 if I'm JD. 

He can compliment Darnold for gutting out a few wins, but I think Darnold's time in NY has run out. Loved ya kid but its time you pack your bags and go.

*IF* Sam ends up being a good starting QB and IF this team turns around and starts winning, I can promise you... No one and I mean absolutely NO ONE is going to be claiming that success is on Mac!!! ??

JD got a 6 year deal because Mac left this team THAAAAAT fu*ked.  It was always realistically going to take at least 1.5 years just to improve this roster enough to aspire to the level of talentless that most teams are when they fire their GM.