Mock Offseason With Watson Trade

SR24

I've seen a lot of people worried about what trading a haul for Watson would do for our future so i figured I'd do some research and see what we could come up with. I used overthecap. for cap and contract calculations then ran the draft simulator a few different times. I copied Deshauns contract years and details into a separate overthecap page to make sure his contract was calculated correctly.

Notable Cuts- Henry Anderson, Jamison Crowder (Tough but saves $9mil on the cap) and Alex Lewis.

Resigned- B.Perriman to a 1yr $4Mil deal, Resigned B.Poole to a 2yr $12Mil deal resigned P.Eiflin 2yr $5mil deal, resigned M.Maye 3yr $36Mil deal, resigned P.Onwuasor to 1yr $2.5mil deal, 

Traded Sam Darnold to the Colts for their 2nd round pick #53 overall. Traded #2, and our 1sts in 2022+ 2023 and a 2022 3rd round pick to Houston for Deshaun Watson.

Jets Enter Free Agency with Roughly $55Mil Cap Space

1- Jets sign Joe Thuney 4yr/$64 million contract

2- Jets sign Richard Sherman 1yr/$8.5 million contract

3- Jets sign Ronald Blair 3yr/$15 million contract

4- Jets sign Will Fuller 3yr $37.5 million contract 

These moves would leave roughly $13million left to sign the rookies. Adding Watson this year only carries a $15mil cap hit which is nothing for him, next to years however are $40mil each, followed by 2 years with low $30mil hits. He's a top QB it's a reasonable deal. As far as free agents go I think Joe D will spend big to get Thuney in here. Our interior Oline was atrocious and we know how much Joe D loves the Oline. I personally wouldnt sign Richard Sherman but I do think Saleh is going to bring in some of his guys and Richard Sherman's been very vocal about Saleh lately. He's 32 but knows the system and would help build a culture, Ronald Blair is a guy who Saleh really likes. He missed the past year with an ACL but racked up 5.5 sacks the year before and Saleh has commented on his attitude and work ethic. It was a toss up for me going for a lower tier WR between Fuller, Samuel or Corey Davis. I opted for Fuller based on his speed and familiarity with Watson, I also don't like the Corey Davis emergence in a contract year. Samuel is a solid cheaper option as well. Anyways now we draft. 

DISCLAIMER- I don't watch much college and am not too familiar with prospects deep in the draft so for the sake of trying to be realistic I only mocked through 2 rounds. I'd plan on taking a RB and another WR preferably a slot with our 3rds.

#23- Pat Freiermuth TE Penn State. Big Physical TE who's also a quality blocker. 6'5 260lb and has great hands

#34- Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma. This team desperatley needs a true center with upside and that's exactly what Humphrey would bring. 

#53- Greg Newsome II CB Northwestern. Lanky athletic outside corner who comes from a respected program, not the fastest guy but has been productive. 

Watson at QB throwing to Fuller/Mims/Freiermuth/Perriman/Berrios and a late round slot WR. Protected by Becton Thuney Humphrey McGovern and Fant.

It's a solid option and we'd still have Seattles 1st next year. 

20 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

not bad, but i would like to see a big time wr paired up with watson

We could technically fit Robinson and Thuney together I would definitely do it I just don't see Joe D shelling out for both of them. Hopefully  we could get Robinson for 18mil/yr 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Not sure what you mean by this?  We have two 1sts this year and next.  Are you saying we trade ALL four of them?

Ah yeah I jacked this up. It’s supposed to be our #2 pick this year, our first+ 3rd in 2022 and a 2023 first. We’d be keeping our Seahawks 1st rounders for this year and next. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Pat Elflein is the most overrated player on this board.

I don’t love the rebuild you put together since it doesn’t get much in terms of value. The cutting of Crowder is interesting.

Eiflin at 2.5mil is harmless and a good depth piece but I wouldn’t pay him anymore. I tried to be somewhat realistic based on how Joe D operated free agency last year. Ideally we’d bring in Allen Robinson and Thuney but Idt Joe D will spend the money required on them both.

• Upvote 1

Talking about the LBs - In your scenario we're letting guys like Jordan Jenkins, Hewitt, etc.  We know Mosley is coming back, you suggested re-signing Onwuasor, and we still have guys like Cashman on a rookie deal.  But who is starting at OLB?  Are we counting on guys like Basham, Zuniga, Luvu, etc.?  I'm not sure of their contract statuses outside of Zuniga being on a rookie deal.

I think the LB group could be the most influx with Saleh's transition on D.  I think the Jets want to Draft an Edge rusher in the first 2 rounds.  He has spoken countless times about the importance of the LEO in his defense, and SF drafted Nick Bosa in 2019 to play that role.