Xfinity Gigabit

Maxman

Just upgraded. It is so worth it, since they basically don't charge you anymore. 

5 of us in this house, everything was fine through the pandemic, multiple zooms at once, we working from home. Called to lower the bill since we were returning some old cable boxes. Also wanted to make sure we were data unlimited since they are now capping that (garbage).

Anyhow the speeds are incredible. Used to get 350megabits \ second when I was plugged in, ehternet and wifi would be 250. Everything was fine, no real issues with all those Zooms, remote connections and a few XBox's going. The only issue was upload speeds were slow 5 - 10 mbps so uploads sucked.

Now the wired connections are getting 950 mbps and 35 upload. Wifi is blazing as well getting 850mbps.

Should note, also got rid of the Xfinitity leased router and bout our own Netgear cable modem with DOCSIS 3.1 and a TP-Link wifi router. The biggest change there is the XFinity router tried to handle all the wifi traffic under one network name and would route things to 2.4 or 5ghz based on what it thought was best. Kind of became a problem since we have all this home automation stuff, Ring, Nest, Hue bulbs inside and out, smart outlets etc.  Was so much better once we mapped it out and run two wifi networks.  3 actually since this tp-link lets you have a guest network.

Anyhow, just wanted to share, pretty happy to be geeking out.

On 1/24/2021 at 1:55 AM, Maxman said:

Just upgraded. It is so worth it, since they basically don't charge you anymore. 

5 of us in this house, everything was fine through the pandemic, multiple zooms at once, we working from home. Called to lower the bill since we were returning some old cable boxes. Also wanted to make sure we were data unlimited since they are now capping that (garbage).

Anyhow the speeds are incredible. Used to get 350megabits \ second when I was plugged in, ehternet and wifi would be 250. Everything was fine, no real issues with all those Zooms, remote connections and a few XBox's going. The only issue was upload speeds were slow 5 - 10 mbps so uploads sucked.

Now the wired connections are getting 950 mbps and 35 upload. Wifi is blazing as well getting 850mbps.

Should note, also got rid of the Xfinitity leased router and bout our own Netgear cable modem with DOCSIS 3.1 and a TP-Link wifi router. The biggest change there is the XFinity router tried to handle all the wifi traffic under one network name and would route things to 2.4 or 5ghz based on what it thought was best. Kind of became a problem since we have all this home automation stuff, Ring, Nest, Hue bulbs inside and out, smart outlets etc.  Was so much better once we mapped it out and run two wifi networks.  3 actually since this tp-link lets you have a guest network.

You are very lucky. I've had Gigabit for a few years now and I top out at 450mb ish

First thing I did was get rid of the xfinity router like you, and that improved from things a but but still way less than I pay for

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 7:58 AM, BP said:

You left out running this site from your bunker/basement. 

Which plan did you get with infinity? I’m thinking of getting rid of my cable boxes and just go with smart TVs and sling. So all I need is internet.

I don't know the plan name, I have people that handle that.  :)

We have a few HD boxes but I didn't realize until recently that a smart tv doesn't need a box. I have that in the basement so I want to test it out soon. They charge so much for the monthly rentals.

On 1/30/2021 at 1:59 PM, CTM said:

You are very lucky. I've had Gigabit for a few years now and I top out at 450mb ish

First thing I did was get rid of the xfinity router like you, and that improved from things a but but still way less than I pay for

That stinks, I am getting just under 900 in the basement (wired). My son is wired on one room over from the router and he is getting upper 900s. He also built his computer so his is a big upgrade from mine.

450 is really more than enough, we were at 300 and everything was fine. But the unlimited data was a bigger concern. With 5 of us here over the break from college, we were going far over the data cap.

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

That stinks, I am getting just under 900 in the basement (wired). My son is wired on one room over from the router and he is getting upper 900s. He also built his computer so his is a big upgrade from mine.

450 is really more than enough, we were at 300 and everything was fine. But the unlimited data was a bigger concern. With 5 of us here over the break from college, we were going far over the data cap.

Yea, we only hit it once but once I start leaving the house again I'll hit it regularly as my smart cameras are data hogs. The Next IQ cams send everything to the server

2 hours ago, CTM said:

Yea, we only hit it once but once I start leaving the house again I'll hit it regularly as my smart cameras are data hogs. The Next IQ cams send everything to the server

Interesting. We have home automation devices for everything but inside cameras. Outside cameras, doorbells, all the light bults, smart plugs etc. So a ton on the wifi. The xfinity router have you setup the 2 and 5 ghz as the same, then they routed it. Sounded great but I don't think it worked that well. We now have two wifi networks (3 with a guest actually) and we map it based on location. Seems to be less interference and running smooter. The new speed boost helps.

I saw on CNBC today a company just released a 5g modem with 10 gigabit speeds for cell phones. What a game changer that will be.

30 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Interesting. We have home automation devices for everything but inside cameras. Outside cameras, doorbells, all the light bults, smart plugs etc. So a ton on the wifi. The xfinity router have you setup the 2 and 5 ghz as the same, then they routed it. Sounded great but I don't think it worked that well. We now have two wifi networks (3 with a guest actually) and we map it based on location. Seems to be less interference and running smooter. The new speed boost helps.

I saw on CNBC today a company just released a 5g modem with 10 gigabit speeds for cell phones. What a game changer that will be.

Yeah same. I'm now the dumbest thing in my house :)

Well, maybe the dog but me next

I pulled the xfinity router and got a new "next gen" router that looks like a damn spaceship. I almost went with pods or seperate networks like you but this seems to handle everything. I imagine it would struggle if the cameras were streaming when the family was, but i have the cameras only turn on when I leave my house . (or my phone leaves the house more specifically)

5835241?$product-main$

2 hours ago, CTM said:

No, what is that?

https://www.starlink.com/

Created as a sub of SpaceX but will be looking to go public once they have a better grasp of cash flows. The vision is to provide more speed at lower latency while making it more accessible (better price points) for the average person. 

As of now, it’s slightly more expensive than what you’re probably paying. Also, it might not be readily available where you are. However, over time it will be available, and your prices will go down. More importantly though, you’ll get the speed and reliability you’re looking for. They’re launching a second round of beta. You can sign up online if so inclined!

19 hours ago, Maxman said:

On 1/24/2021 at 1:55 AM, Maxman said:

Can i have your I.P Address. I don't believe you.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CTM said:

Yeah same. I'm now the dumbest thing in my house :)

Well, maybe the dog but me next

I pulled the xfinity router and got a new "next gen" router that looks like a damn spaceship. I almost went with pods or seperate networks like you but this seems to handle everything. I imagine it would struggle if the cameras were streaming when the family was, but i have the cameras only turn on when I leave my house . (or my phone leaves the house more specifically)

5835241?$product-main$

What do you use to trigger that?

I was going to setup a bunch of geo sensors to automate things. But there is no rhyme or reason as to who is here and when. So there was nothing to automate. So for now I have to settle for saying goodnight into google home and having it shut a bunch of lights off.

Two years ago we had like 25 people here for Thanksgiving. Everyone went around the table and said what they are thankful for. I said I am thankful for technology, then I said bless this meal. And google read the prayer.  :)